PDA

View Full Version : Commercial fishermen seek compensation

jaybee
23-08-2003, 06:06 PM
The Queensland Seafood Industry Association is asking for up to $3.5 million to compensate about 40 commercial fishermen affected by new fishing restrictions.

President John Olsen met Primary Industries Minister Henry Palaszczuk yesterday to push the case for compensation.

The new restrictions include an extension of weekend netting bans on the Fitzroy River.

Mr Olsen says about 40 fishermen in Queensland will be forced out of the industry.

"These people just simply can't go anywhere, they are in a particular zone," he said.

"What they're going to do is have increased fishing effort in a decreased fishing area.

"We're going to increase the risk of conflict not only with recreational fishers, but within the commercial fishery itself, we're increasing the risk of over-fishing the remaining fishing area, there's a compelling case to do this."

However, Mr Palaszczuk says he told the commercial fishermen the regulations will take effect from next month.

"Obviously they're here fighting for their members, but at the end of the day I had to tell them that the decision of the Government...[is] final," he said.

"The closures are taking effect and once again I've outlined to them the results of the decision."

Posted: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 9:52 AEST

Lucky_Phill
24-08-2003, 05:22 AM
I tell you what. I will personally compensate every commercail fisherman who have replaced any fish they have raped from the sea.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The commercial guys say they " harvest " the fish..........BULL, you have to plant to be able to harvest.

Why do these guys expect to be compensated for taking and never giving.... *^%$ me !

Now let's talk about comensating the Rec fishoes for loss of species. Shoot, after all our bag limits have been cut, size limits increased etc etc and we cop it sweet, right on the chin, and do we bellow compensation............give me a break ! :P ::)

The pro's have known for some time ( years ) that these type of restrictions have been coming. These guys are not stupid, plans were in place, to set themselves up for a massive compensation package should the day arrive that they were not able to take as the please................*%#@ 'em.

Cheers Phill