back neck
mates
shirts
pants
carpet
the list goes on ;D

jaybee
22-08-2003, 03:18 PM
thanks for setting me straight Krazy i forgot about the rest of the appendages, was only thinking of hurt ouch immediate (fingers) will take note and be extra careful now. (or should i stay home and be safe ???)
cheers
joe

Daintreeboy
22-08-2003, 03:41 PM
I never do, but I thought about it when I let my girlfriend have a go....even thought about removing the hooks altogether!! ;D ::)

striker
22-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Yeah thats when you here the reasuring words,I,m Hooked on you babe ;D ;D ;D

Daintreeboy
22-08-2003, 04:18 PM
If she's that crazy with the rod and reel, imagine the damage she could do with a pair of pliers!! :o .........that would be in removing the hooks of course :-X

Chris.Y
22-08-2003, 04:23 PM
have crimped barbs on all lures & flies for past 10 years (for the safety of my kid & myself) & don't think I've lost many fish ;D. Sometimes I think I get better hookups :o because their crimped [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Fly'n'hi Chris

DaneCross
22-08-2003, 04:24 PM
scissors are worse, my girlfriend's a hairdresser... boy she can do some damage with those things :-X :-[ :o
she can even make a man as good looking as myself look terrible ;) ;) ;D ;D

jaybee
22-08-2003, 04:28 PM
Guys I can remember flicking lures and thought i would change. Put a bigger lure on, somehow it got caught up on my side pack, bang straight into the first joint of my thumb. didnt think much of it at the time until i put the other lure away..mmmm pull it out with pliers but it just went further in. Walk back to the car around 300 mtrs, and ask a guy walking a dog to grab the pliers and yank, nup, i cant do that i will faint, great i says, go that way a few mile there is a drs clinic. Okay I arrive at the clinic, they are busy, i hold my hand up, they go into panic mode and rush me back stage ;D this is great, then the bloody injections and no tools to pull it out unless they cut, hey use these pliers i say, nup, too barbarian, we will cut. 5 stitches later i walk out. damn hard rolling a cig for a while after that. And to this day i will not flatten a barb, you know why. Cause i have enough trouble catching a fish as it is, let alone take or flatten the barb.
cheers
joe.

Daintreeboy
22-08-2003, 04:32 PM
The funniest thing that happened on this trip was first cast she launches the brand new Tilsan into the trees so I say just give it a quick flick and it should come out. She does this and it works.
As she takes up the slack and the lure begins to move a big Barra snaffles it down.
She Sh*ts herself and grabs the rod between the reel and the first runner with her hand around the line and of course, SNAP.
5 minutes later and a big Barra leaps out of the water with the pink Tilsan still in it's mouth, trying to throw it.
We were on the bank directly opposite the ramp and I reckon they could have heard me from there :D

clutter
22-08-2003, 05:06 PM
I generally flatten the barbs on lures that I use around snags and mangroves. Its not that I'm worried about hooking myself trying to get them out of a fish its the flicking them out of branches, snags and the like that cause the problem. When they come flying back at a great rate of knots they occasionally catch on the fly past. In that regard as well, always wear glasses with plastic lenses.

Cheers, Clutter

Gazza
23-08-2003, 02:52 AM
ya bunch of BIG BABIES ;D ;D ;D
do what I do, and just say to yourself....

"no problems son ,it'll corrode and dropout in a few days!!" :o :o :o

Now pass dad another box of tissues ,and go buy a carton of grrrreen-death ,as I need to be UNCONCIOUS for the next few days

:-X :-X :-X :-X .........arrrrrrggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Jewmaster
23-08-2003, 04:17 AM
The worst Ive had was a hook to the head by a mate. I was waering a baseball cap and it felt like someone had punched me really hard just above my ear, My hat half fell of my head and in my confusion I stood there pulling at the hat wondering why it wouldn;t come off my head and it just hung there sideways and upside down, Than Ihear the IM SO SORRY, ,IM SO SORRY from behind and it started to dawn on me what had happened.

I was fishing with 2 big blokes, so One grabs my bottom jaw and the top of my head and applies a VICE grip that nearly made my eyes pop out, while the other removes the hook. The hook came out really easy as there is little flesh on my head. My jaw hurt for longer than the hook wound.

The most memorbale thing was his young son sitting there freaking out that I wasn't crying and I hadn;t lost my temper. Sorry t=mate, I was in shokc, We cauhgt 5 more barra that day.

Jack_Lives_Here
23-08-2003, 07:47 AM
Standard rule in my boat when we're snag bashing and lure tossing - crimp 'em. Nice and easy to extract. It can save a trip to the doc, which means less time on the water. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
I pinned myself in my own boat, in the garage with a nice new VMC treble. I was putting new trebles on some slugs and was hanging them on the console. I got up to get something and felt a tug on my side - YEP had impaled myself on one of the slugs. Did not even feel it, it was that sharp. I thought easy, just slip it out. NUP - was one I didn't crimp and had gone right to the gape. Slipped inside and said to the mate "Can you give me a hand" he nearly passed out. Grabbed a razor and the pliers and got it out - but left a nice hole in the love handle. Will make sure they're all crimped next time.

swano
23-08-2003, 08:57 AM
convinced me last year at faust when we had seven meter plus barra slice through our 70lb schnider leader on the first day, after the fish were liberated, they jumped and thrashed in the waters around us for several minutes until the lures came out or the ran out of ticker. i think we regained 5 of the 7 with crushed barbs, at $15 each we crimp everything as soon as it comes out of the packet. cheers

Daintreeboy
23-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Surely in this day and age there are trebles for sale that are already barbless?
It would save hassles and perhaps even improve hookup a bit further not having to peirce through the 'bump' left from the crushed barb? :)

clutter
23-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Barbless hooks have been around for quite a while its just not a real lot of people stock them. When crimped down there is no real bump to worry about anyway.

Clutter

peterbo3
24-08-2003, 06:29 PM
Evening all,
Interesting to note the number of people who flatten the barbs on trebles & I can see the logic after reading the posts.
However, I am not a great user of lures & hence don't have a lot to do with trebles. What are your thoughts on flattening barbs on whiting or snapper rigs, for example?

SteveCan
25-08-2003, 12:13 PM
Flattened out my Jigheads today for the first time - it made catch and release easy on the bream ;D And it did no harm to my hit rate.

I think I might make this a habit...

Cheers
Steve.