PDA

View Full Version : mackerel

slick
04-09-2003, 05:49 AM
I was fishing with my dad on the weekend & we tryed some trolling for some spanish mackerel but we donot know what speed to troll at I am wounding if someone can help me please SLICK ???

Kerry
04-09-2003, 06:02 AM
Mate, it depends on the baits/lures, the day and the fish. Really no set speed, start around the 4-6-8 knot mark but somedays one has to slow right right down to a crawl and other days fast enough to look like your going somehwhere in a hurry.

Cheers, Kerry.

slick
04-09-2003, 06:13 AM
Hi KERRY we are useing lures and how far do you have the lure out cheers SLICK

Kerry
04-09-2003, 06:34 AM
Again no set rules. At times only 15-20 feet behind the boat, other days as far back as things would go. Depth can also make a difference. However in these "modern" days of rods and mono by the mile don't really need it "that far" back.

However you don't mention if your using rods or actual mackerel lines. The true "original" mackeral lines were hand lines, #9 Piano wire, a string of barrel sinkers, 045 Bowden cable and backing line (over sized venetian blind cord).

Mono has today replaced the bowden cable, stainless wire instead of the piano wire, much more fun and workable than rods :D. # #

Cheers, Kerry.