PDA

View Full Version : MARINE RADIO COURSE UPDATE

Mudcrab
02-09-2003, 06:34 PM
OK, apologies for running silent and deep since my original post re the above course! Reason being I have just acquired the latest hot off the press CD (no, you can't copy it!) on the latest Marine Radio course that runs on Microsoft Powerpoint and via a PC with projector setup. The venue would be best at the local State School in Victoria Point that can easily accomodate twenty or more candidates. They will slug us $30 for the room but I will try to get that waived. Either a somewhat fullsome Saturday or a Sunday will be needed to complete the whole course.
OK the problems first! The Australian Maritime College in Tasmania who developed the course have given us the new costs. The Manual itself is $26.00 and it is mandatory you carry it on the boat with you. The examination is a whacking $38.50 and if you blow it, it will cost you that again for a resit! Ve hav ze technology to make you pass!
There are 2 types of licences available:
1. #MROCP that is the highest standard and includes 27 MHz, VHF, MF & HF. This is what we give our guys! It is a full on course and probably take about five hours of instruction.
2. #MROVP that is basically for VHF. This course is adequate but I would suggest the MROCP be your choice. This MROVP is nonetheless easier to pass with a lesser number of questions to answer. The CD course cannot be split apart for the two courses so you would all get the whole shebang and then it is up to you which one of the exams you wish to sit for.
THE CONDITIONS You knew there had to be a catch!
1. #We need the money up front! Sorry but if 20 guys were to front up we would have to fork out some $1,200 and my Committee would freak out at the thought! We are honest blokes and you can trust us............ ;) The real catch is that we have to pay for everything whether you turn up or not so please don't commit unless you are 110% positive you can come to the selected date AND the subsequent exam!! We can send the test back and give you your cheque/moner order back for non attendance but the Manual is nil refund!
2. #We supply a qualified Instructor (me) and you all get your Manual to keep after the course.
3. #We have our own Invigilator (examiner) who would bring the exams along after say a week or two for you all to do the test. You will need that period to do some homework!
4. # You havta sign a disclaimer form so ya can't blame us if ya fail the exam or prang on the rocks while using your new licence!
5. # You can see that it is not an easy course to get up and running due the logistics, time slots, costs and study time but......... the unfortunate fisho at Flat Rock (who left his radios turned off) would most probably have a different view of the latter statement!
6. #Yeh, yeh, there will be free stuff as well!
7. #There is NO cost for Ausfish Members and the big yellow donation tin at the front door in no way infers you have to express your appreciation of the time and effort we put in to helping out the Boaties! Of course if you wish ................................!
8. #I have to find a projector somewhere but think that can be managed somehow...

If the above is successful, we have plans to also run courses on GPS, Sounders, Plotters, Boating Safety, Navigation, Lifejackets etc. etc.
There will probably a very small cost for these but with a huge thirst for knowledge out there, I think the average Boatie will be more than happy to cough up when he views the value of his life, boat and family/mates against $20.00!

I have tentatively (very) put aside the Sunday on October 5th. as a proposed date. 8.00 am - 2.00 pm. Free coffee, bikkies and sangers! Hang the expense!

So basically it is up to you guys now! If you would like to make an expression of interest re the above, it is not all that difficult to get up and running from my end. Do not underestimate this licence! It is a moderately tough course and the test questions demand you do some study! Send me an email to Ian Fischer confirming the date and the $$$$$$$$ issue to:

idf@bigpond.net.au
Tel: 3821 1910
Fax: 3821 2037
Mob: 0407 029 704

Wesley_Pang
02-09-2003, 06:44 PM
Count me in for the course.

I'd like to do the course before I get a VHF radio.

Wes

xxxxhornet
02-09-2003, 06:46 PM
If the dates can be confirmed I might be a starter - (I work Shiftwork)

MICHAELG
03-09-2003, 04:09 AM
I'm interested to, dates please

Michael

jaybee
03-09-2003, 09:55 AM
bugger i cant do sundays, and asking for time of to do a course that does not refect directly to my work would not go down too well, but would be interested if another come up on a saturday or thurs / fri.
cheers

mon
03-09-2003, 02:33 PM
That date would be fine for me.

MON.

Big_Kev
03-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Sorry can't make that week end (will be away on holidays. Would love to go but.
The week end after would have been great, but you you guys go for it, and its great that you have given up your time to put this together Ian THANKS.
Cheers Kev.

adamleah
03-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Yes , I will definately be a goer..I have a school reunion the night before so it is not a preferable day " due to planned hangover " however I might just have to take it easy on the turps :-[ and come along sober...ish..

Will email you my details

Adam

Wesley_Pang
03-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Ian,

I've check the diary, and that the school holidays.

I try again some other time.

Wes

stevedemon
05-09-2003, 06:27 PM
Hi All
well I have looked to see what the responses have been to this radio course from you, don't like to leave your rego No's to where you are going or don't have the money just more excuses please read below and do not take afence to it as it is not ment to afend anyone but like always someone will take afence to it so be it just some thing for you all to think about

We as Boaties have a responsibility not only to our families to whom we leave behind each time we go boating by ourselves or with the responsibility on another life or two on board our Vessels, OH did I say a responsibility I will shorten this to a preservation of life at sea because when your out there missing the one's you leave behind are your loved ones family E.G Wife, Children, Mum & Dad and not to forget the good friends that have to stay behind to help your family pick up the piece's for the price of learning to use your equipment on board properly, such As, Marine Radios and procedures, Epirb's and how to place and put your life jackets where you can retrieve them in case of Emergency's the proper use of flares and then make sure that all gear is check regularly for safety and have your boats Serviced regularly. I have a saying on board my Vessel do not asume any thing as it is the mother of all stuff-up's. Get to know your Vessel it's abilities and Disabilities and the same goes for yourself. The more we learn the better we are on the water and the more we can look after each other to make sure we all come home but most of all use the Coast Guard and the V.M.R as they are there to help and to make sure we come home as help is only call away or is the pride to much to bare think about it for the price of joining V.M.R water service of around $50.00 or the Price of a Radio Course they are offering $63.00 all up the book $26.00 the test $36.00 or even if you had to pay $20.00 just to sit a learn how to use your Marine Radio 27Mhz or your V.H.F Radios is this worth more than your lives if so, Then I really think you need to take a look around you and see what you leave behind or if you have your Family on Board the choice is yours. But for your Families your Friends and there Families learn

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve :P :P