PDA

View Full Version : Fishers still angling for reef plan compo

jaybee
10-09-2003, 03:28 PM
Posted: Tue, 9 Sept 2003 8:10 AEST
Commercial fishermen say they will not be backing down over demands for compensation after the introduction of a tough new Great Barrier Reef fishing management plan.

Commercial licences will be slashed from 1,700 to fewer than 400 under the plan, to be phased in later this year.

Queensland Seafood Industry Association president John Olson says compensation will not be required in every case, but the State Government will have to accept some responsibility.

"There's a need for the fisheries to be restructured along with the incredibly difficult decisions being handed down by Government, so it is going to take us a while and that is the big one to get over...I'd like to think the government is going to show responsibility for the fishery as well as for their actions," he said.

Gazza
10-09-2003, 03:39 PM
so it is going to take us a while and that is the big one to get over
------------------------------------------------------------

I understand that a tax loss DOES carry over to future years , if P-R-O-V-E-N by previous legit tax r-e-t-u-r-n-s

p.s. A licence that earns less than say $6K (ryhmes) is tax-free ,IF there is no other source of income?

(talk to some land-lubbers sometime ,and see what compo they get IF SQUASHED by big biz/competition/commonsense)

and I HONESTLY DO hope the remaining 400(+) make a good profitable living from fishing ,from previous history ,and future investments