PDA

View Full Version : GRRR I stuffed up

Jewmaster
11-09-2003, 04:37 AM
I bought a radio of the web, and it works great, except that it is 27mhz and no one in Darwin uses 27Mhz, So I can talk to myself, but no one else, I already have a VHF unit in my boat, but wanted one for the car. wasn't thinking clearly.

Can anyone think of a use for this radio..... I understand that you can;t communicate between VHF and 27MHZ is this Correct ?

Maybe I could get one of my mates to buy a 27mhz radio and than there would be two of us. Yee Haa
Maybe I could move to QLD where thay are meant to use a fair bnit of 27Mhz.

Does anyone know a good place to find out what is broadcast on what frequencies and where for australia ?

And yes, Im a fool but Im a fool who fishes.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. OHH the radio is a GME TX 835

Kerry
11-09-2003, 06:22 AM
That radio is the typical fixed 40 channel 27 mhz that one might fit to cars/trucks etc. Cover the freq range from 26.965 to 27.405, where as 27 mHz marine is in the range 27.680 to 27.980. And no VHF to 27 mHz doesn't work, even different 27 mHz radios won't talk to each other. So just make sure if you get another that it's compatible.

Wouldn't say a lot of 27 mHz is used in Qld, either 27 mHz marine (which this one isn't) or general 27 mHz. Mosy have gone to UHF and take advantage of the better clarity and coverage from the repeater sites.

Cheers, Kerry.

Jewmaster
11-09-2003, 06:51 AM
Bugger and stuff, aww well, Might pull it apart and see what I can take out of it.

Jewmaster
12-09-2003, 12:14 PM
I met another guy who uses 27mhz, but it may be the marine version which I may not be compatible with, bugge rit, I will wack it in my boat with the VHF for a while and see if I can hear any chatter on ch 16.

blaze
12-09-2003, 07:11 PM
Hi Jewmaster
Lota years ago I used to put sliders and switches in them old sets and get 200 channels, could even tune in marine channels. if ya know a radio buff up that way they could proble do the job for you.
cheers
blaze

Jewmaster
13-09-2003, 03:49 AM
Sweet, thanks alot blaze. Im keen to learn a bit more about them.

Kerry
13-09-2003, 04:36 AM
Then of course that becomes an illegal apparatus as is any radio that is modified without approval.

Way back in the dim dark days when 27 mHz wasn't even legal swapping the transmit/receive crystals (it was a long time ago) gave one a private channel, that is of course unless somebody did the same thing.

If your referring to CH 16 27 mhz I'm not aware that CH16 27 mHz is anything special unless you have a 27 mHz SSB capability and the TX835 doesn't.

27 mHz emergency channel is CH9, general calling channel is 11 and truckies use 8.

Cheers, Kerry.

Jewmaster
13-09-2003, 04:57 AM
Thanks Kerry, so if a truckie drives past my favourite fishing spot, I could tell him or her all about it.

Don't plan to break any rules, might just pull it apart in a couple of months time and see what makes it tick.