PDA

View Full Version : THE BAR. Anyone game??

mono
06-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Yesterday morning at 6am the Bruns Bar was 2 feet max. By 11am it was like this!! Glad I decided to can our trip because of the wind!!!!

jaybee
06-09-2003, 11:31 AM
I find that place bloody amazing the way it can change in a matter of minutes hate the thing
cheers

striker
06-09-2003, 12:41 PM
The Bruns bar ? Where is it so I can put low on the list.
Cheers Craig

corza85
06-09-2003, 12:55 PM
id would do it on my backup fishing vessel..... seadoo xp limted edition with a rod holder strapped to the back and a big box for eveything to go in...

TJH
06-09-2003, 03:05 PM
Does this happen for any particular reason. ie: shallow or tidal flow?

blaze
06-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Hi mono
Whats over one the far left of the photo where the broken wave finishes, looks like a clean bit of water. Just curirus i guess as I am in tassie. we got a couple locally that can turn in minutes. the local bars turn bad because of wind direction and water depth
cheers
blaze

Spaniard_King
06-09-2003, 04:21 PM
Hey guys,

I think mono is refering to The Brunswick Heads Bar , abot 40-50 min south of the border.

The reason the swell kicked up was due to the Low which passed quickled down south.

Tweed wave rider bouy as per below

jaybee
06-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Blaze when you look down the bruns river it is like looking down a pin goes wide to narrow not to mention shallow. If i can get hold of my bro there is a pic kicking around bruns of a trawler where a wave just stood up and took out the wheelhouse, from what i beleive the estimate was around 22ft high. Mono may be able to get hold of it and post. its one place that always gives me nerves. Remember once coming back in on the back of some howlers the spray coming of the tops of the waves was phenominal we were completly drenched by it.
cheers
joe.

striker
06-09-2003, 04:38 PM
Hmmmmm, South of the border , it wont happen tomorrow but it will happen ;D ;D ;D

mono
07-09-2003, 04:00 PM
Blaze, the clean water to the left is a no go zone. the right hand wave just keeps breaking until it closes out onto the rocks, which are not in the photo.
I have seen the photo that Jaybee spoke of and should be able to get it posted on this sight soon. It really is a cracker!! I've included another photo from low tide on the same day and as you can see, just getting out of the river when conditions are bad (bottom of a run out tide) is an effort by itself. Dont get me wrong, this was a particularly nasty day and the swell has dropped off today and because we were patient we got out easily and got some great fish. (photo in reports section)

Moreton_Man
08-09-2003, 04:30 PM
Not even a nice place for my sharkcat to investigate

Kerry
09-09-2003, 05:43 AM
Not even a nice place for my sharkcat to investigate

Anybody ever seen the Bruce Harris photo collection from the early 70's :o. Anybody ever been in a Cat with Harris in the early 70's.

Cheers, Kerry.

jaybee
09-09-2003, 11:58 AM
I've seen a few bruce harris shark cats upside down on the tweed, and southport not to mention bruns. but then it all boils down to common sense. Gunna be silly it will get u
cheers
joe.

Kerry
09-09-2003, 03:28 PM
Yeah, that's the point. Fault of the boat or maybe a false sense of security being what it was.

Cheers, Kerry.

jaybee
13-09-2003, 09:20 AM
For Blaze
hi blaze was going thru some old photos, another angle of bruns bar, on a good day, like mono said the left is a no go zone you can see the lift to the left and around the corner is seagull rocks this shot guestimating around 100 yds past the end of the wall. This my bro quite a few years ago. Like back in the late 70s early 80s if my memory serves me correct.
cheers
joe.

jaybee
13-09-2003, 09:27 AM
Kerry after posting the photo and re reading your post i had a 17 ft cat and I wouldnt do anything in that i wouldnt put a mono through, however, one day i nearly made a fatal mistake, the bar looked good so let my deckie take the boat out, i had my back turned and next thing i know the boat was vertical and everything was rushing to the stern or over it, i managed to spin around grab him and hit the throttles full open as we come down stern first, i beleive or we were just lucky that by getting the extra revs up stopped us from going down stern first, next thing was backing off once the two motors bit it worked out okay, lost some gear tho, my deckies excuse, didnt see the wave. ouch. oh had to get the motors serviced they didnt like the brief moment of being submerged, but i was very thankful they kept running under water for what seemed like an eternity it was all slow mo for a while. On a good note love travelling in a cat the comfort is unreal in a short sharp chop and a following sea.
cheers
joe.

Kerry
13-09-2003, 11:46 AM
Jaybee, that's one of the problems with boats, even bathtubs (even tables ;)) can be safe in the right hands.

Bad vessel, good skipper = not much drama
Good vessel, bad skipper = always a worry
Good Cat, bad skipper = now that can be a real problem

Big problem with any motor, especially once they stop and especially if they both stop together :-X.

Cheers, Kerry.

Heath
13-09-2003, 04:14 PM
Jaybee,

Notice your bro had a V sea

Good boats them.

jaybee
13-09-2003, 04:37 PM
they sure are heath, he had a good run out that one. Had a few different ones since it, the bar work tells on em after a while.
cheers
joe.