PDA

View Full Version : coming back to ramp

opimax
08-09-2003, 08:23 AM
giday fished deep tempest on sat. fished till 1530 & headed back to spin sound boat ramp. deakie 1 puts trailer in water, skipper drives boat on & hears stange sound. pull boat on to level gound & look at trailer, some piece of shit has had a liking to one of my rollers & removed it. end result hull has celcoat damage. just thought i would put this post to let everyone be aware that we now have to cherk that our trailer in the conition as we left it before driving on. & a helpful hint get a spare roller & keep on boat. >:( >:( lee

Fisherman02
08-09-2003, 08:49 AM
geez mate thats disgusting
what motives do these idiots have?
cheers jack

imnotoriginal
08-09-2003, 09:05 AM
Bloody hell. Gotta be one of the easiest ways to ruin a day.

mackmauler
08-09-2003, 09:52 AM
Lee, they do sometimes just bounce out if they come loose, sometimes get damaged when the boat is driven on, though I suspect you are right >:(

Jack..what motives could you have to steal rollers ??? Granny that needed rollers for the new hairstyle? ;)

Zeeke
08-09-2003, 10:07 AM
well, if ya need a hand when ya catch them, ill hold them down while u break there legs ;)

have seen so many boats at my local ramp get damaged because some lightfingered fiend has helped himself to a few rollers or skid rails

they havent touched my trailer.. prolly cuz the rollers are seized up and rusted to the spot and you havent got a chance in hell of removing them unless uve got an angle grinder handy

one suggestion i have heard tho is.. once youve setup your trailer properly, grab a welder and weld the bolts in place so they havent got a chance of removing any of your kit

Tim

vertico
08-09-2003, 01:21 PM
be a pity if you wanted to change a roller :)
i guess if you only tap welded them on you could grind them off
oh well
why should we have to do this in the first place ?
oh well thems the brakes

Wesley_Pang
08-09-2003, 03:23 PM
Lee,

I used Spinnaker sound ramp yesterday too. I got in at about 16:00. It wasn't too busy.

I've not had a problem at that ramp. I use it quite often.

It's a pretty low act to steal a set of rollers though.

I may start to locking my trailer to my car from now on and checking the number of rollers.

I've know of trailers disappearing, but not rollers. I had my 20hp stolen off my tinny though.

Wes

ba229
08-09-2003, 04:26 PM
I had a D shackle knocked off from my tow bar. Don't know where. Don't know when. But what the f*ck would you do that for? If it is kids I might understand that a D shackle could look cool to play with but if it was an adult they are just f*cked in the head.

Sorry for the strong language but these things frustrate me.

Sean
08-09-2003, 09:19 PM
The funniest thing that ever happened to me was one day I had to take my engine in to the wreckers in Sydney. So while he was removing the engine I went for a drive.
Because the chain was a bit short on the trailer i had 2 D-shackles on to cover the extra little bit of distance to my towbar. But funnily enough The chain wouldn't reach, sure enough 1 of the D-shackles was missing, I didn't think too much of it so I went to get my money and buy a new shackle, and sure enough, locked in the glass cabinet behind the counter was an assortment of new shakles and 1 old rusty one for sale for 50c. What a tightarsed ########!!!! :D ;D But I guess he was making pure profit on it!!

Mudcrab
08-09-2003, 09:21 PM
Geeez, we would go broke if it weren't for all the winch handles and rollers that we find on the ramp every weekend! Flog 'em all of at our Boaties Market and make a damn fortune!

adrian
09-09-2003, 05:01 AM
unfortunatly this is an all too easy target as the #######s know that you wont be back for some time and they can see you coming . i've started to use secure parking areas hey it cost $$ but if i'm out of town i'd like to be sure that the trailer and all bits will be there when i get back.
maybe someone should start up an sercure parking areas at boat ramps for say $1.00 i'd use it .

anzac

Simon
09-09-2003, 05:36 AM
I've heard one of the tricks used by lowlifes at deepwater bend is to use your boats winch to pop the bonnet for you. #Don't know if they take anything from the car but it would'nt surprise me.

ANZAC, I'd rather pay $5 for one of these [smiley=rifle.gif]

Simon.

Kerry
09-09-2003, 05:36 AM
"D" shackles do have a habit of falling of all by themselves but getting into a display cabinet, now that's another thing.

As for rollers, now at the price of them one might see a reason why some up and walk away.

Now trailers without rollers, that's the way to go ;D.

Cheers, Kerry.

jackash
11-09-2003, 03:21 PM
Yeh, last chrismas at maloolaba with relatives we had 2 boats on the wharf between the famillies. well went to a walk to the local store and crossin a bridge sure enough there is the rellies boat on the beach. i tought they must have just decided to take the boat to the shop. neways when i came bak past it ti was still there with a bunch of teens around it. i asked em wat they was doin and they said just getin there boat out of the water. boy was i shocked. so i tolled em it wasnt their boat and they cleared off pretty quick after that. close call but we got lucky i guess.
cheers, jackash

nofrills
11-09-2003, 06:08 PM
hey guys
the people at the silver shores caravan park,which is right opposite spinnaker sound .will lock up your car n trailer for $5 for 24hrs.Probably not worth it for a day trip but great for overnighters.
Opimax it was probably the same *%$#^ that backed into my trailer at spinnaker a while ago and busted my tail light.
cheers scott

opimax
12-09-2003, 03:51 PM
giday all boat going to get fixed sat morning won`t be ready till at least wed for a fish but looks like a shit weekend on water anyway but thats not the piont you should be able to go fishing when you can. please check your trairer is as you left it. lee

blaze
12-09-2003, 07:06 PM
Hi all
Feel sorry for you guys and girls up in the big Island.
been fishing many ramps in tassie over the last 20+ years and at my local ramp I dont even lock the van up (sometimes has a few grand of trade tools inside) Very popular ramp for tassie which would see upto 30 boats leave from it (town of 3500 people). I think that I sometimes forget for a fleeting moment how good Smithton is to live in, then when reading posts such as this one I realise how lucky we are in this haven, and there is still a good fishery (bloody weather permitting) that is cherished by all that use it. Any way all you non tasmanian are welcome down for visits and we will show you some Tassie hospotallity, but I afraid we will have to send most off ya back so it dont change to much LOL
cheers
blaze

jaybee
12-09-2003, 07:07 PM
Opi my condolences on the loss of your rollers however, there is nothing worse then coming back to the ramp and finding either you don't have a trailer or someone liked the wheels on ya car. One day these dirt bags will be caught up with eh. Episodes like this really taint the experience of fishing, because once it happens its always in the back of the mind while you are out in the boat. Question is, what can we do as insurance paying fisherpersons do to prevent this sort of thing ??? Insurance costs go up, but nothing is provided in return, do you agree ??
cheers
Joe.

snappa
14-09-2003, 04:41 PM
opimax

i have returned from caloundra where i looked out over the bar (i think) and super keen to get some snappa fishing done. bad luck about the trailer and boat, one day someone might be hanging around the ramp when they decide to strip the trailers and then ????
kelloggs is fuel up and ready to go. i have two weeks off work and will be fishing deep tempest weather permitting
i will post when going.
:)