PDA

View Full Version : "WARNING" !!!  The thieving scum ar

craigie
25-09-2003, 10:30 AM
Warning to all 'Boaties', That the filth of this earth are active again >:( >:(
Sometime between 5.00pm (Sat arvo) and 9.00am (Sun Morning) the parasitic filth that leech off others, stole my Boat Trailer from the Southport Boat Ramp located beside the "Sundale" bridge on the old Gold Coast Highway.
The trailer was chained and padlocked to my car, boltcutters seemed to have made short work of my security measures.
It's an expensive lesson, but your only chance to keep possession of Trailers is to purchase a good quality trailer lock and cross your fingers :-/

I'll keep you posted of any developments

Cranky Craigie >:( :'(

p.s. I'm still trying to get my boat back to Brisbane, for a brief time I was going to drive the boat back to Wynnum via the water but thought better of it :-/. at least a 4 hr trip and 25 knot northeries.

drevil
25-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Rotton mongrels! Wouldn't you & a couple of deckies like to turn up when they are doing the deed?

Will insurance cover that? Should do if you had it padlocked, but I noticed on some policies they say it must be a recognised anti-theft device.

red_spinner
25-09-2003, 11:40 AM
Commisserations Craigie

I know how it feels to feel violated in this way. I came home one night only to find garage door wide open and boat, trailer and two motors nicked - all during broad daylight. also have taken the precaution of leaving an extra winch in the car as have heard that these, too, have been known to walk. Good luck getting it back - if the response you get from the police is the same as I got you will never hear from them or the boat again . . . I got told, 'Don't you have insurance!' Don't think they have the resources to do any investigative work into property theft. I bought one of those newish trailer ball clamp locks - fingers crossed it will do the job. It's bloody inconvenient when you lose a trailer. Magine you've been wondering what to do with the boat. Did you leave it over with the water police. They would probably hold it for you as long as you needed.
Red

NQCairns
25-09-2003, 12:52 PM
Such a low act, I am sure someone would dump their boat on the back lawn for the day and loan you the trailer, how about it Brisvegas!!! What size boat? nq

craigie
25-09-2003, 01:30 PM
I've actually had a good run of late, lost my whole rig back in the late 80's, stolen from the front yard (no insurance), then had my l'cruiser stolen and stripped back in the early 90's (no insurance - I'm a slow learner)

I'm not sure what the fine print says on my policy but I must admit I'm a bit nervous ???

Police just took my details and told me this sort of crime is rampant and a proper trailer lock is your only chance.

A lot of good people on this site, have already received a rescue offer to retrieve the boat. Onya Bugman :)

Craig.

jaybee
25-09-2003, 02:45 PM
Its not a nice feeling craigie, been there, and no the trailer was never recovered, but had insurance. We also need to be careful, posting our movements on the board, its a good place for the wrong people to know where and when you are going eh.
well this has convinced me to get at trailer lock found a place at wynnum that makes a double lock, you can lock the trailer to your car while fishing and lock the trailer at home. if anyone is interested i can post the details, rrp $39.50 on their web page. havent phoned them to confirm the price but it will be worth it for piece of mind, they say it is hacksaw proof but not grinder proof, do they make portable grinders?
cheers
joe.

stevo
25-09-2003, 03:01 PM
It sounds like you have a trailer to use already,but if not let us know the size and help is there if possible.Would love to get hold of these guys for a two second talk. [smiley=furious.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=veryangry.gif]

steve

NQCairns
25-09-2003, 03:05 PM
Good news Craigie that it's all sorted. Jaybee yep they do all that is needed is a inverter and battery to run the grinder but what can you do? I am seriously thinking about a wheel clamp for the trailer i am building but how would a person stop someone stealing the boat or stuff in the boat while I spend 5 minutes out of sight securing the trailer and car??nq

argonautical
25-09-2003, 03:29 PM
Jaybee

Think its about time I purchased a trailer lock so would be interested in the details.

argo

jaybee
25-09-2003, 03:32 PM
okie argo will start a new thread Trailer locks
cheers
joe.

snappa
25-09-2003, 05:02 PM
to all

there is such an animal
portalbe grinder (battery operate and they would do the trick) we have them at work.

Daintreeboy
25-09-2003, 05:41 PM
Geez mate you've had a bad run.
Love to get hold of the #$%#@ who did it.

cmc
26-09-2003, 03:21 AM
Going to withworths today to pick up a trailer lock - looking at their catalogue they have one on specifal RRP$59.95 - now $29.90 Cat No. 89946N

Hope this helps

David

craigie
26-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Yes guy's, Full-on Trailer locks are the way to go, every cent is well spent.

Jaybee, thanks for doing the "legwork" on the Trailer lock. I'll be checking it out soon.

I'm so fustrated about the theft and the inability to do much about it, there's no room left for being pissed-off.
It does make you a bit Gun-Shy about leaving the car and trailer on the next overnighter .

Cheers
Craig.

xxxxhornet
26-09-2003, 01:06 PM
We've been looking forward to going camping and taking the boat but an evil thought has crept into my head that should we decide to venture away from the campsite (possibly several times a day), everything in the boat will need to be taken out and locked away out of site.

....sort of puts a dampener on things

murrayscod
26-09-2003, 02:00 PM
i recently got a trailer lock from supercheap. it cost about $30. but is still good quality. though the old latch on my trailer is not really suited for the lock, so choose one carefully.
cheers Luke

jaybee
26-09-2003, 04:08 PM
yw craigie, i have been there and thought chain and padlock around wheels, plus padlock on the hitch would do, not so, i will be investing in a double lock so i can lock the trailer in the yard as well as when i go fishing. Its always in the back of my mind since i lost a trailer and that was a long time ago, funny thing, wombat and i were fishing (diver whiting) of wynnum, decided to stay out but had to come back in for fuel, there were heaps of people at the ramp, but no one questioned me about un hitching the trailer and driving away, go figure.
cheers
joe.