PDA

View Full Version : QLD Limit - 4 Crab Pots and 10 Male Muddie Only ?

cmc
20-09-2003, 02:17 PM
Hi Everyone

I am confused in that, with the new crab limits, can one person only have 3 pots out at one time, and is the limit is now 3 males ?

Finally, if I have 3 other people in the boat with me - can they have 3 pots each and 3 males each as well ?

thx

David

jaybee
20-09-2003, 02:23 PM
Where did you read this cmc? http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/11416.html
As it stands at present its 10 per person however i think if you read into it, its a max of 30 per boat with 3 or more people.
Crab pots or dillies
Up to 4 crab pots or dillies (or a combination of pots and dillies) may be used per person. When fishing for mud crabs and blue swimmer crabs a person in possession of the apparatus must be at least 15 years old. Crab pots and dillies must be marked by an identifying tag bearing the surname and address of the owner. When not fixed to something they must have attached a light coloured surface float, not less than 15cm in any dimension, with the name of the owner clearly inscribed on it. Regulated crabs must be removed and returned to the water immediately.

cmc
21-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Hi Mate

I read it in bush and beach fishing newspaper - but may have got mixed up...

Thanks for the heads up...

David

jaybee
21-09-2003, 02:26 PM
yw bush n beach are usually fairly well up to date with things like this, unless they know something that fisheries havent told us, but like you say it could be a mistake.
cheers

Gazza
23-09-2003, 05:01 AM
Hi cmc ,i appreciate you've only recently joined a couple of weeks ago.

Mate , can you look at changing the subject topic to 4 crabpots and 10 male muddies ? ,as it's misleading at first glance ,to suggest a bag/pot limit has changed at all , and also the 'size' limit is 'unchanged' as well ,as any change is referring to 'sandcrab measuring methods' ...... o-n-l-y #:o
---------------------------------------------------------------

Comment: 3.50 p.m........ thank-you , makes sense [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Regards
Gazza

craigie
23-09-2003, 02:11 PM
Jaybee,

What you have posted looks spot-on to me. I'm not aware of any other changes apart from the new 'notch-to-notch' (11.5 cm) measure method for Blue Swimmer Crabs.

Cheers
Craig.

jaybee
23-09-2003, 02:30 PM
hey craigie, i know i read it somewhere and i recieved a pm questioning what i posted, maybe you can help because i cant find what i said to verify so i may be wrong, here goes,
As it stands at present its 10 per person however i think if you read into it, its a max of 30 per boat with 3 or more people. is this correct, as i have been lead to beleive its not, so i may have got it wrong.
cheers
joe.

cmc
23-09-2003, 04:57 PM
Sorry about the confusion guys - oopsee

craigie
24-09-2003, 08:56 AM
Jaybee,

The way I read it and interpret it is, you can keep 10 male mud crabs per person (legal size of 15 cm across the shell), regardless of how many are in your boat it is 10 per person (15 years or older). Therfore if it is 4 adults onboard, then you can keep 40 Male Mud Crabs.
Mind you, Even Turkey Beach won't produce that many Muddies :o :o ;)

Keep up the good work ;)

Craigie.

jaybee
24-09-2003, 09:14 AM
Thanks craigie, got my wires crossed somewhere. oh well all these years when i have had more then 4 people on board i have missed out eh, such is life.
cheers
joe.

Craigo
24-09-2003, 03:37 PM
Anyone know when the new measurment for sandcrabs comes in or will there be a phase in period?

Cheers ;D

craigie
25-09-2003, 09:50 AM
G'day Craigo (not a bad name that),

New Sand Crab Regs commence on the 13th of December 2003. There is no phase-in peroid, we just change from 15 cm (tip to tip) to 11.5 (notch to notch) on that day.

Cheers Craigie ;D

Craigo
25-09-2003, 03:41 PM
Thanks Mate

Looks like there be a big market comming up in new Crab Measures ??? ???

craigie
26-09-2003, 12:38 PM
I'd say so, I'm sure there are a few prototypes out there being tested as we speak !!

A good measure would have the Mud Crab size on one side and the smaller Sand Crab size on the other side (two for the price of one :))

Craigie

jaybee
26-09-2003, 04:11 PM
they have a Measuring stick, like that in nsw, damn have you seen how small the crabs can be to keep them, my bro crabs to qld rules and he lives down there. The measurements arent much bigger then a cigarette packet
cheers

Gazza
26-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Yes JB , still 'small' but ,i understand it's from front-2-back ,but still 'small'.....

Regards
Gazza

jaybee
26-09-2003, 09:28 PM
hi gazza
yes it is front to back the measuring device looks like something batman would use, u got to see the size to beleive it, he (my bro) bought one as a joke. He measures across the shell and only keeps females in excess of 18 cms, but damn he gets some good bucks all walking distance from his mobile home. oh btw he doesnt keep females in egg and the average buck would be 19 cms, so why cant we catch crabs (quanity) like that up here and we have a bigger size limit and no take females. ??
cheers
joe.

spinna
27-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Hi jaybee
The bag limit down this way for mud crabs is 5 and the size is 8.5cm and the blue swimmer is 20 and 6cm . I would say most blokes down here do not take jennies at all in row or not and im yet to see someone measure the crabs as all the blokes ive seen crabbing dont take them unless they are a good size. Mind you some people would take them no matter how small they are and thats in all states.

cheers spinna :) 8)