PDA

View Full Version : How confusing is this ?

Lucky_Phill
28-09-2003, 12:26 PM
No-take species

The following species are protected and are not included in any size or possession limits:

· # # #Maori wrasse
· # # #Barramundi cod
· # # #Potato cod
· # # #Queensland groper
· # # #Red bass
· # # #Chinaman fish
· # # #Paddletail

Size limits

·All coral reef finfish species have a minimum size limit of 25cm unless otherwise specified (see below):

· # # #All tuskfish 30cm
· # # #All jobfishes, red throat emperor, long nose # # emperor 38cm
· # # #All cods, gropers and coral trout 38cm
Exceptions:
· # # #Greasy rockcod 38cm to 100cm
· # # #Flowery cod 50cm to 100cm
· # # #Camouflage rockcod 50cm to 100cm
· # # #Maori cod 45cm
· # # #Blue spot trout 50cm to 80cm
· # # #Nannygai (small and large mouth) 40cm
· # # #Spangled emperor 45cm
· # # #Red emperor 55cm
· # # #Fusilier No limit

Note: Jobfishes - crimson jobfish (rosy jobfish), flame snapper, goldband snapper, green jobfish, lavender jobfish, ruby snapper, small- toothed jobfish.

Take and possession limits

All coral reef finfish species have possession limits of five unless otherwise specified (below):

Combined limits:

· # # #Cods and gropers 5 in total of all species
· # # #Tuskfish 6 in total of all species
· # # #Coral trout 7 in total of all species
· # # #Nannygai 9 in total of all species

Species specific limits:

· # # #Crimson jobfish (rosy jobfish), Red trout emperor 8 per species
· # # #Hussar 10 per species
· # # #Fusilier No limit

Total combined limit 20 coral reef fish in total

Now I dare anyone, Pro or Rec fisher to know commit the above regs to memory. #The powers that be will have to issue a guide ( hopefully waterproof ) to everyone who has a registered boat. #With colour pics and full description of each fish comming under regs.

Don't know exactly when these regs will be in force, but I suggest, this Xmas.

<>< <>< ??? # # # # ::) # # 8) # #Phill # # 8) # # # #::) # # # # ??? <>< <><

krazyfisher
28-09-2003, 12:38 PM
good luck to all of us ???

jaybee
28-09-2003, 02:31 PM
phil i posted this same thing about 4 weeks ago and got howled down for it, shit happens eh,
cheers
joe

mackmauler
28-09-2003, 03:13 PM
The footballer cod will be 38 min now ??? anyone ever seen a camouflage rock cod ::)

damons33
28-09-2003, 03:32 PM
yeah i hooked one once didnt run just sat there! in the end it busted me off! :P

Kerry
29-09-2003, 05:31 AM
Might sound confusing but when one applies it locally then can't really see much problem.

All I know is that a 55cm red emperor is getting into "trophy" class as emperor as they get bigger don't get all that much longer but fill out in the shoulders etc.

I think I can remember Red emperor 55cm limit 5, Trout 38cm / 7, Spangled emperor can go back, Red throat 38cm / 8 and Hussar is bait ;) and 20 all up and that'll do for the general local area.

Not many would have even seen a 55cm emperor let alone catch one and not many would have seen a big blue spot, like around the 80 lb, which is a little bigger than 80cm ;D

Protecting Red Bass and Chinaman? Maybe protecting the people from the fish not the other way around.

Cheers, Kerry.

Lucky_Phill
29-09-2003, 08:19 AM
Yeah JB, I read it, just wanted to keep it on the board.

I know what you mean Kerry, about local stuff.

Bugger me, the charter operators out of H/bay and north will have to be on their game !

Yep, Chinaman, Paddletail etc are known to carry Ciguatura poisin and will be saving the unsuspecting fisho from themselves.

One trip out of the Breaksea Spit saw a 5 plus kg Jack come over the side ( at night ) and 5 minutes later a Red Bass, same size was gaffed. If not for the alertness of a crew member, that Bass would have gone into the brine. IN the dark, after a brown ale or 2, they are twins.

AND bugga me, Red Emporer at 55. you're right Kerry, that's got some good weight about it. But in 5 years if the average Red is 55 - 60, holy s#@#, they'd be a good day out, now what was the bag limit on them again ?

Phill

jaybee
29-09-2003, 08:55 AM
Here u go phil the coral reef finfish management plan 2003 all 118 pages, now that will confuse you, may as well do another thread in case others want

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/SLS/2003/03SL212.pdf

striker
29-09-2003, 01:54 PM
What are the penalties,sounds more lucritive than speed camera's. ???

Gazza
29-09-2003, 03:32 PM
"Ciguatura poisin" ......is that french for cigarette fish ?? ;D ;D

Now please tell me , something useful ::) , on the 'big fish' ,can you test for it!! ??? ??? ???
i.e. you catch 'it' , it's legal ,you cook 'it' ,now do you just eat it ,and wait to die ;D ;D

orrrrrr..... (without just 'releasing') ,what to dooooo!!!! ??? ??? ???

Regards
Gazza

Lucky_Phill
29-09-2003, 04:20 PM
The really big fish, you take a pic and toss 'em back.

Or feed some to your neighbours cat. If it's alive in the morning, you may eat your prize fish.

There is NO way of telling prior to eating.

This poison is mainly found in Spanish Mackerel ( platypus Bay ) and Has been encountered in Coral Trout, Barracuda, and other fish that get really big and don't do much travelling.

Of course Paddletail, Red Bass, Chinaman, etc seem to attract it moreso than other species.

??? 8)

Kerry
29-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Wouldn't touch a coral trout over 15-20lb and any over these days simply go back, much to the disgust of the crew, but that's tuff. Unfortuneately in a fish shop one simply doesn't know how big the trout or spanish was.

But in 5 years if the average Red is 55 - 60, holy s#@#, they'd be a good day out, now what was the bag limit on them again ?

Well I can see many bag limits becoming fluctuating on many species and the lower the bag limit the more chance that some will be tempted to swap bigger ones with smaller (dead) ones.

Ciguatura? Never tried it but some say cats won't eat ciguatura affected fish as they can smell it?

Cheers, Kerry.

mackmauler
29-09-2003, 04:41 PM
ive eaten a fish with ciguatera, a 5kg cobia :o from fraser inside, the other 2 who ate it that night were ill for months, one nearly didnt live through it :o i had no affects, and ate half what they did.... to full of muddies and beer ;D

Lucky_Phill
29-09-2003, 04:45 PM
Maybe that's the secret Rob. #eat a fish with Ciguatura and then drink way too much beer so you don't remember if you got posioned or not # # ::) # # # #:o # # # # #:P

I think you may be right about those Cats, Kerry, but I know Dogs can't smell it. Had 2 mates with dogs that they fed Spanish Mac to, 1 carked it the other nearly did.( the dogs that is, not the mates ) The fish were from Fraser, very nth.

Phill