PDA

View Full Version : WARNING - VIRUS AT LARGE

Derek Bullock
25-09-2003, 03:14 PM
Hi Guys and girls

This afternoon I was checking my emails when I noticed one from "Administrator" and opened it thinking it was a real one.

When I did it started to download a .wav file and I couldn't stop it but then my virus buster clicked in and threw up a notice saying that it was that new worm virus that has been talked about on the media. It is called W32/SWEN@MM.

It did exactly as they said #it would on the news and up popped a page supposedly from Microsoft.

A click on the delete button and I was saved again by my Virus Buster that is up to date as it auto-updates. #

I would suggest you all check your virus busters and make sure they are up to date.

The link below will take you to the Symantec Site (Nortons) where you will find some free downloads if you want to make sure you don't have it already.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

Cheers and may we all have virus free computing.

Derek

rickraider
25-09-2003, 03:27 PM
thanks matey.

Lucky_Phill
25-09-2003, 04:39 PM
Yes Derek, these mongrel Virus builders ( see *&^%kheads in the dictionary ) are gettin smarter.

There are a couple of others going around with official sounding titles.

Particulary " Optus Administration " which has a title of " Your account will soon expire, please open the attched file for details ". Yeah right ! like I'm gonna do that !

It certainly does pay to have up-to-date virus busting software,

Cheers Phill

Derek Bullock
25-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Particularly when you aren't with Optus.

Derek

Kerry
26-09-2003, 03:26 AM
Then there's the one that appears to come from MicroSoft being a patch to plug the loopholes in some of the loose microsoft products but microsoft don't do mail outs of patches. This one looks very real but don't be fooled.

Also the Westpac bank Security server upgrade and comes from support@westpac.com.au. Another one that might fool many but a bit of a give away when one is not a Westpac customer. This one also looks extremely real even to the extent of looking extremely perfect with the real Westpac web site.

Cheers, Kerry.

mick
26-09-2003, 08:55 AM
mate im still using dial up. as soon as something starts down loading or seems sus i rip the plug outa the wall. i can just imagine these poor hackers on the other end going "he just disapeared, he must have some new fandangle firewall" as for emails if your not expecting it and its not from a trusted source just ring up the company and ask. or forward it to a hotmail account and it gets scanned by hotmail

Derek Bullock
26-09-2003, 04:14 PM
Kerry

That is the one I got and there was nothing to indicate that it was from Microsoft until it opened and the Virus Buster clicked in. I got the Microsoft Screen up just like they said you would.

Don't be fooled cause this one certainly had nothing in the email to indicate it was from Microsoft.

Derek

straddie
26-09-2003, 07:24 PM
Just a few suggestions to help avoid picking up and spreading viruses.

Get a firewall, Zonealarm is free.
Get an antivirus, AVG anti-virus is free.
Do not open attachments even if they are from your best friend, that is why these worms and viruses spread so quick they auto replicate by using your address book and send themselves to all your friends from your email.
Click tools/windows update once a week and take any critical updates or service packs, they will contain patches for some of the holes in windows.

A few others for people that make online purchase or bank online.

Download Adaware and Spybot search and destroy both are free and will delete most spyware, scumware or keyloggers you may have picked up while surfing. Both of these are also free.

If you recieve an email to go to a website that says it has lost your details or needs your info updated, don't do it.

If you go to make a purchase and there isn't a lock in your browser showing a secure page where you enter your CC details and personal info, shop elsewhere.

If you have any or all of the above occasionally look for updates. Nothing will totally protect you, but these will lessen your exposure.

I now return you to normal programing ;D

Derek Bullock
26-09-2003, 07:41 PM
Hey Straddie

I didnt open an attachment. I just opened the email and it started to open itself. Scary I can tell you. The thing with this one is dont think you have to open an attachment.

I have the McAFee Professional and it dealt with it quick smart.

Derek

jaybee
26-09-2003, 09:22 PM
hey guys if u run microsoft outlook not express, it wont let most stuff through even if don't have virus protection, but then with norton it scans as well double protection. i recieved these emails from microsoft a few weeks ago thinking they were sent cause i was registered, then i thought hang on why wasnt it on the windows update site, then i saw the outlook blocked this file, oh well. peace of mind
cheers.

Derek Bullock
27-09-2003, 01:40 PM
Jaybee

That function is also available in Microsoft Outlook Express. #You need to turn it on and the trouble is that it will also block good attachments that you may want to keep and it wont block all nasties.

To turn it on, open Express, click on Tools then Options. #When the Options box opens click on Security and it will bring up the page for Virus Protection. #Click on the little box beside "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could be a potential virus" to put a tick in it. #Click OK.

Cheers

Derek

TJH
27-09-2003, 03:24 PM
Jaybee
Outlook Express is the email engine behind Outlook!
Outlook just gives you more features with contacts, folders, etc.
Everyone needs a virus detection programme and must keep it updated.
This will eventually require some payment, which is worth every cent.

spook
30-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Had two of them in three days, I always check my e-mail on line through World client, and if there are any I am not sure of I can delete them online before I download them. Also keep nortons antivirus updated weekly. Just in case! By the way Microsoft don't usually send updates Via e-mail, so if you see one in future delete it.

blaze
30-09-2003, 04:06 PM
hi all
I have been running a firewall called blackice with vet antivirus and also update regular and am having no problems
cheers
blaze