PDA

View Full Version : Touchy's In Hospital

Jonno
24-09-2003, 01:16 PM
Hello all,

Just to let you all know that touchy has been admitted into Ipswich Public Hospital. #He has a bacterial infection in his hand from a flathead barb that stuck him about 2 weeks ago when fishing.

The germ has swollen his whole hand to a ballon , the hospital has opperated on it twice this week to try to kill the germ, but they are not having #much success. #They have another 2 operations planned for later this week, # if they cannot control the germ they will have to cut off his hand.

He is feeling very down at the moment and anyone that wants to visit him at ipswich hospital,he is on level 7,room 7D, I would be very grateful.

Thanking you all Jonno Wood

craigie
24-09-2003, 01:29 PM
That's terrible stuff Johno :(, hope the doctors can fix him up reel soon and get him back out on the water.

All my best wishes to Touchy for a speedy recovery.

Keep us informed on his progress .

Cheers
Craig.

ba229
24-09-2003, 02:57 PM
Thats incredible news. Hope he gets well soon

imported_admin
24-09-2003, 02:59 PM
Johno

Bit of a shock, hope it works out for the better. Have they said exactly what the germ/infection is ?

Will try and drop in and see him on Wednesday.

rickraider
24-09-2003, 03:05 PM
thats no good at all. hope he gets better.all the best touchy.

webby
24-09-2003, 03:18 PM
Geez a blokes been off line for a week, only to comeback and find the old farts in Hospital.
Hey Jonno tell him i will drop in to see him with a couple bottle of "Stones", that'll perk him up ;D
Those doctors should know that this stuff will kill anything.
Say Hi to him, will catch him this week.
regards

Craigo
24-09-2003, 03:33 PM
Hope all goes well Touchy, Good luck always follows bad luck!!! ;)

Cheers

blaze
24-09-2003, 04:28 PM
Hi
Could someone wish touchy all the best from me
makes ya release how lucky we are some times, spiked 2 years ago and no feeling from the first joint down, but shit nothing compared to the thought of a hand.
all the best touchy
blaze

aquarius
24-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Gee thats terribble news Jonno........My wifes father was spiked in a finger by a bream several years ago and he had a similiar germ......The finger was huge and the hospital pumped him to the max with antibiotic drugs.
He was lucky not to loose his finger.......makes you aware of just how dangerous fish spines can be!!..handle with a wet towel just to be safe i say.
Hope Touchy has a speedy recovery and we see him back on the water soon.
Cheers Brent.

Fitzy
24-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Not good. :o
Will be dropping up to see old Fred tomorrow night.

Fitzy..

jaybee
24-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Jonno give Fred my regards, still havent been able to check out the gps marks he gave me. but in sincere honesty, hope all goes well, and Fred is out there soon showing us all up in the near future, Oh also pass on our good wishes to Mrs T as well eh.
joe.

Jonno
25-09-2003, 02:57 AM
Thx all for your support , I'm going up again tonight to see how the progress is going. Will post the latest when I get home.

Thanks again to all
Jonno

Fisheasy
25-09-2003, 08:45 AM
Hope all goes well. A friend lost his big toe when he ended up with a fish spike through it on an offshore charter trip a couple of years back. The infection was obviously extremely bad. We can't be too careful can we??

red_spinner
25-09-2003, 09:10 AM
That's scary stuff. Please pass on my regards and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Won't be touching so much as a yakka without a towel from now on.
Red

scroman
25-09-2003, 11:01 AM
Not good news - hope for more encouraging news very shortly - get back to the water soon Touchy ;)
Out of interest - not sure if others are doing this or not but an old islander mate of mine tought me years ago that if you do cop a spike from a flathead - and it is still in your possession - roll it over and rub the spike wound on the slime of its belly. There is an antivenine in the slime that will prevent any further pain :)
Lost count of the flathead spikes i've had in 30 years - wish i knew this sooner ;D
Am a current practising beleiver - certainly noticed the difference ;) especially when you get to day two and three of the spike ;D
Anyway please pass on my regards to Touchy and the family ;)

imported_admin
25-09-2003, 11:19 AM
Just got back from the Hospital. Things are looking a bit better at this stage. A lot of the swelling has gone down and he has some movement in his fingers. The second op, yesterday, they decided they didn't get it all in the first go so they cut down the back of the thumb and across the back of the hand. It looks good so far so heres hopeing it keeps going that way. They have left it open, not stitched up but bandaged, and will be giving it another clean out tomorrow. If all then looks good they will give it one more clean out on Saturday and stitch it up.

drevil
25-09-2003, 11:39 AM
Ouch - sounds bloody painful

fishing_tails
25-09-2003, 11:40 AM
thats sad 2 hear..no wonder i use chemically sharpened hooks so no rust..no problems..but i do hope he gets better and wont lose the use of his arm :( :'(

imported_admin
25-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Wasn't the hooks that caused it, it was a Flathead spike.

gruntahunter
25-09-2003, 02:19 PM
Scary stuff Johnno, could you please wish Fred all the best from me and Freddo and heres hopeing all those lovely mermaids in the Ipswich General are locking up their dresses so touchy cant get his hands on them. ;)

striker
25-09-2003, 03:05 PM
At this point sounds like your improving,hope so fred,everyones keen to know you'll be back out there shortly :)

Lucky_Phill
25-09-2003, 04:10 PM
The bugman and myself took ourselves to see the Old Fella this arvo.

He was in high spirits and explained all the details.

At this stage, his hand is looking and feeling better. The Doc's will give an update on the situation to him on Thursday morning.

He's said " thanks " for all the supportive comments which Steve copied and took up to him today.

Not sure what to make of the Catalogue of Left Handed Fishing Reels and Flathead mags that Steve took up ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm sure Jonno will post an update soon, as he & wife arrived as we were about to leave.

Phill

Zeeke
25-09-2003, 06:45 PM
Crikey, and i only fished with Fred .. 2 weeks ago.. hope all is well, give him my best wishes and tell him he better get well soon so i can come down his way one day and give him welders flash again when i open my tackle box ;)

Tim

bugman
26-09-2003, 04:31 AM
Yeah ... he looked in pretty good spirits at our visit, saying it was the best his hand had felt in days.

It was either: 1) the surgeons had done a good job - or - 2) it was the shower with the Samoan nurse :o :o :o

Keep geting better mate.

Bugman

Chris_J
26-09-2003, 06:01 AM
Well that will make ya think twice about those spiking's( :-/ ) we all get to frequently...

I trust you'll will be back out there giving the fish hell in no time Touchy...

Keep getting better hey Fred ;)

Cheers

Chris

Zeeke
26-09-2003, 06:51 AM
No Wonder i was scaring Fred and Pete when i was showing them my sleepy lizard lift trick..

Tim

four_stroke
26-09-2003, 04:26 PM
[smiley=sick2.gif] hope fred getz better soon, i don't know him but he seems to have alot of genuine friends who are concerned for his wellbeing that probablely means he's a decent bloke (birds of a feather) all the best fred. :)
ps: did he taste any good fred !!!

Gazza
26-09-2003, 06:47 PM
Geez Fred , hope you ATE the culprit , and catch a few more of his bro's and sisters and aunties and uncles .....

Head up ,chest out ,and I'll 'shake your claw' oneday!!!

Kind Regards
Gazza

anu
27-09-2003, 04:44 AM
i knew that flatties could be dangerous but not that bad- wow hope freds hand gets better (i dont even know him but ne way)
cheers
anu

Tally
27-09-2003, 09:47 AM
Makes you think twice about grabbing fish doesn't it? [smiley=anxious.gif] [smiley=anxious.gif]

Wishing you a speedy recovery mate.

Cheers,
Jay.

Lucky_Phill
27-09-2003, 12:01 PM
Update on Fred.

Phoned today and has identified the " bacteria ". one more clean out and a stitch job and he should be home by Sunday.

Although there was a REAL possibility of Fred lossing a hand / thumb and or fingers, he remained positive and cheerful as ever. Maybe this attitude has helped scare the ' bug ' away.

Look forward to hearing the full story soon Touchy.

Cheers Phill

Fisherman02
28-09-2003, 04:20 PM
why is everyone sayingg get well everyone knows freds one of the toughest picckles there is , well with all that green death nothing pickles him better
cheers jack

imported_admin
30-09-2003, 11:39 AM
Just got a phone call from Nugget. Johno (son of Touchy) just called him and said it is not looking as good as it was on Saturday.

Touchy is still in hospital and it looks like they may still have to cut off the thumb.

Lucky_Phill
30-09-2003, 03:33 PM
Have recieved ph call at 1pm today. Not looking good now.

either the thumb from the first knuckle or all has to come off.

I'm sure Jonno will post the decision tonight.

anyone with old left handed fishing reels not in use, may have a found a new owner for them. ???

Phill

blaze
30-09-2003, 04:01 PM
hi all
must thank all those that have passed on the info.
makes you wonder wether we should all carry something in the boat that we could dip the hand in, mybe some sort of disinfection solution (my guess a good scotch)
again pass my regards onto touchy
cheers
blaze

Jonno
30-09-2003, 04:39 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for all your best wishes and it's nice to know that Dad has so many good friends.

Unfortunately the prognosis is that he will either lose the top part of his thumb or down to the first knuckle. The operation takes place tomorrow at some time in the afternoon. They are not sure what they will do until they start the operation and see how far the thumb has deteriated. It's like he has gangrene as he has lost all feeling in the top of his thumb.

Dad is feeling sick and tired of hospital food and the nurses are ordinary. In general, he just wants "out".

Will post the results of the operation tomorrow night.

Thanking you again.

Jonno