PDA

View Full Version : New Direction for Sunfish Queensland

jaybee
26-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Sunfish Media Release 25th. September 2003

Sunfish Qld. has elected a new Chairman. Mr Bill Turner, a quadriplegic, with muscular dystrophy who is confined to an electric wheelchair, today released some of their future policies for recreational fishing in Queensland. Many organisational changes took place at our Annual General Meeting in Rockhampton and among them was a new look for the central committee Mr Turner said.

“Being confined to a wheelchair has never stopped me. In fact it has made me more determined to see fish readily available at easy access points for all anglers” he said.

I have been fishing for 45 years and caught most fish available in Australia at one time or another. Working every Saturday morning doing radio fishing reports, writing many fishing articles and chairing Sunfish North Moreton for the past 3 years has made me aware of the many issues regarding recreational angling.

“Sunfish Qld members in consultation with the Queensland Labour Government have already achieved important changes to benefit all anglers. To progress further, I would like to develop an even better working relationship with Queensland Fisheries Service (QFS), and the Minister, Mr. Henry Palaszczuk” he said.

Two of the main fishing issues I would like to see introduced during this term as Chairman are :-

· The declaration of Recreational Only Fishing Areas (Fishing Havens).

· Species such as Tailor, Mangrove jack and other important recreational fish regulated as angling only species.

A major part of my new position is to see a growth in membership so that Sunfish Qld is truly the peak body representing the interests of all recreational anglers in Queensland.

“Sunfish Qld is here to ensure that you, the anglers of Queensland continue to have fish to catch and if you want to have your say, then join now and help me achieve a better fishing future for all of us” he said.

You can contact Bill Turner, Chairman on 07 3885 6589

Gazza
26-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Bill ,'haven' is (to me) wrong terminology ,it , if anything, would be an area(s) , that is simply off-limits to commercial activity ,if appropriate, if necessary.......

Due to 'unsustainable commercial practices' , not RecFishos.
W'end limitations ,closed areas...fine.......
but not a 'haven' as such ,or at least research the NSW Botany Bay 'haven' ,where that 'weed' (you know the one) is rampant ,and not-even-wanted by commercials :o

Bill ,I would ask you to look at re-opening re-juvenated areas ,that were previously below? certain minimum biomass, and if healthy now ,in swap-mode for future negotiations of closures

Every Success ,anyways JMHO
Regards
Gazza

jaybee
26-09-2003, 09:13 PM
Gazza i work with people with intellectual, psychiatric and multiple disabilities, if being in a wheel chair is Sunfish way of trying to attract attention then they are going about it the wrong way, I don't care if a person is able or disabled, its what the person can acheive in the position, not because i am in a wheel chair but because i can achieve well thats the way i am. Maybe a person in a wheelchair can achieve, but why advertise the fact, are they after sympathy votes??
cheers
joe.

neptune
27-09-2003, 03:46 AM
jaybee, maybe Mr turner was not so much after the sympathy vote by advertising he was in a wheelchair, but just reassuring the people that don't believe a disabled person can do the job, that he can.

Kerry
27-09-2003, 06:17 AM
Shouldn't have to be reassuring the people, it's not if one is disabled or not that matters but performance in the role.

Cheers, Kerry.

whiteman
27-09-2003, 07:06 AM
So what's the new direction?

Maybe Sunfish should improve it's communication with its members (my club is fully paid up) by refreshing what has to be one of Australia's WORST web sites!

Gazza
27-09-2003, 10:47 AM
Gazza i work with people with intellectual, psychiatric and multiple disabilities, if being in a wheel chair is Sunfish way of trying to attract attention then they are going about it the wrong way, I don't care if a person is able or disabled, its what the person can acheive in the position, not because i am in a wheel chair but because i can achieve well thats the way #i am. Maybe a person in a wheelchair can achieve, but why advertise the fact, are they after sympathy votes??
cheers
joe.

Joe , given it's an 'initial anouncement' i'll attempt to not read too much ,into it......

This comment by Bill is an interesting perspective on 'priorities', that i'm sure will be clarified , in time.

......“Being confined to a wheelchair has never stopped me. In fact it has made me more determined to see fish readily available at easy access points for all anglers” he said........

Lucky_Phill
27-09-2003, 11:56 AM
I, for one, would like to see Sunfish in the Media / Public's eye more often. Not just when there is a change of Gov Policy and they pop up and say " we support this, we oppose this ".

If Sunfish want members, such as me, " average fisho ", we need to see them doing something. ( re:- THAT web site ! ).

Maybe I missed something during the last year, but, it has been a wonderful year for the Rec fishos, and all we got from Sunfish was themselves patting each other on the back. Sure, they may have been behind the scenes doing things , lobbying etc.

I want to see the face of Sunfish in the news BEFORE policy is announced stating their views and their input and commitment. I know Sunfish is made up of volunteers and recieves funding from State Gov and membership, but, if Sunfish wants the backing of more members, it must be seen and heard.

As far as I know, this is the Premier Fishing Site for South East Queensland and probably most elsewhere, here is a perfect place to start.

Show me your commitment and I'll " show you the money ".

Cheers Phill

Sunfish_Chair.
30-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Fishing havens may be the wrong terminology but its terminology that worked very well in NSW.
It doesn't designate or paint pictures of one side or another hence the reason for its use.

As for your other query, can you please tell me where these areas are that you want re-opened.

Regards Bill

Sunfish_Chair.
30-09-2003, 10:23 AM
I know many people who work with disabled people, they think this makes them az expert on what we feel what we think and what we do, let me assure you it doesn't. Its a bit like a bloke who sees another bloke catch a flathead and tells him how much of an expert he is, not the bloke who caught it, at catching flathead. I wrote that media release, believe it or not. And I am never going to hide my disability because I am proud of it, it makes me who I am and what i am. Jaybee, I am not here to question your good intentions so please don't question Sunfish's.
Kind regards,
Bill Turner

Sunfish_Chair.
30-09-2003, 10:31 AM
Phill,
Show me your commitment and I will show you mine. All of us can come up with excuses to not throw our hat in the ring. Ten years ago I threw my hat into the sunfish ring without any excuses. In that time I have seen it grow and become stronger and more well known. It achieved this through people who jumped in and worked on it from the inside, not bashed it from the outside. As for the media, don't you think we would be in there every week if they would let us, the media only does stories that contain a little bit of sensationalism or topical agenda, sort of like electing a chairman with a disability, thats the trouble, alot of people pass comment on things they don't fully understand. Let me assure you everything that has been achieved for recreational Fish anglers has been acheived because there is an organisation in Qld like Sunfish.
Regards, Bill

bugman
30-09-2003, 10:42 AM
Bill,

Glad to see you're aboard mate. I hope you can be a regular surfer of this chat page from here on. There's many interesting threads on the future of fishing in our great state - many of which would be of great interest to you and your organisation.

I think you'll find everyone here has the future of recreational fishing in mind - whatever their discussion.

As for what you said about the media ... I'll turn a blind eye ;). Haven't spoke to you in a while but I'm sure you'll use your moments on air to their best advantage.

Good luck with the new post.

Brett Bugg
(bugman)

Sunfish_Chair.
30-09-2003, 10:51 AM
A part of my election platform was better commmuntication and more interaction between branches and their members. I suggest you contact your local branch which is Sunfish North Queensland, Mr Brian Pickup. P.O.Box 330, MDC, Aitkenvale, Q4814 Tell them you would like some interaction I am sure they would appreciate your input, I know if you were in my area, i'd welcome the opportunity to be more involved with you and your club. Do not worry about our web site, the one you have seen is operated by Sunfish North Queensland, perhaps you can pass your views onto Brian. The new improved Sunfish Queensland Website should be online next week. Hope you enjoy it.
Regards, Bill

Sunfish_Chair.
30-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Brett,
Thanks for the blind eye, as you know can't go into alot of detail about what i am trying to say, appreciate that you don't take it personally, do my best to be a regular. I think Sunfish needs a strong communicator who's willing to talk to anyone about anything as long as its fishing. If from time to time I put my big foot in my big mouth :-X I hope users of your chat board will understand.
Regards, Bill

Sunfish_Chair.
30-09-2003, 11:00 AM
Neptune,
Well done Neptune, you hit a nail right on the head and you don't work with disabled people. goodonya,
Regards Bill

Gazza
30-09-2003, 11:03 AM
Fishing havens may be the wrong terminology but its terminology that worked very well in NSW. It doesn't designate or paint pictures of one side or another hence the reason for its use.

As for your other query, can you please tell me where these areas are that you want re-opened.

Regards Bill

Hi Bill ,and may I personally wish you every success ,in your endeavours ,to increase RecFisho enjoyment of our fantastic Queensland coastline !!
(and that's an 'original' written by Gazza as well ;) )

Mate ,please glance up-n-down at my 'highlighted bits' to your Q's and very welcome A's [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Bill "very well"
in doing what?, creating a long term 'debt' to the NSWRFL trusts? ,or something else?

Bill , "of one side or other" ,
Botany Bay (as per MY offered example) is not presently a 'gained' benefit by RecFishos ,far from it, as they ALWAYS had 100% ,of BB ,so what did they buy? ,please tell me, all I see is but a noose forever tightening (and costing RecFishos) further restrictions and RFL$$.......
on the other hand ,pros' were banned/brought out by RFL dollars ,for an area , they would never be allowed to fish in anyways ?

Yeah/Neah Bill??........ note: no wrong answer just 'perspective' ;)

Now Bill ,I will answer the easiest question of them all, and i do admit ,confuses many "EXPERTS" ,including possibly your goodself ???

Q. from Bill
"As for your other query, can you please tell me where these areas are that you want re-opened".

Gazza: any green zone , that has been closed for 5years to 'rehabilate' ,over several spawning seasons ,uninterrupted.

Certainly , I welcome you to negotiate ANY NEW areas ,that need resting ,like farmers do at times , by rotating paddocks, etc. (analogy example)

Lastly Bill ,I heard you on 4BC ,not sure if all of it,as I was grabbing a coffee ,and didn't hear your introduction to know it was you, but heard Steve 'plugging Ausfish' ;D ;D ;D and 'Nugget' babbling on , as only he can do :P :P :-X :-X

I hope all of us here at 'Ausfish' will be hearing/reading a lot from you ,asking for advice ,of course......... ;) :D ;D ;) :D ;D

Every Success & Regards
Gazza [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Sunfish_Chair.
30-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Kerry your wrong mate, being disabled does matter, it matters to the person with the disability, too long a story to tell here, just trust me, being disabled is a very personal thing. thanks for your imput.
Regards Bill.

krazyfisher
30-09-2003, 11:05 AM
I think we all think sunfish does a good job at times and at others not so good if sunfish can let people know what they are doing it would be better for all and stop the infighting there is enough from outside just my thoughts

krazyfisher
30-09-2003, 11:09 AM
I must also say there is nothing as important to a fisherman than the fisheries and i for one take alot of it personal so please no one take my sometimes heat responses personal ;D

Sunfish_Chair.
30-09-2003, 11:11 AM
One answer to everyone.
All this wonderful enthusiam, all of you,... stop mucking about and join Sunfish now. We need people with your goolies and knowledge, this sort of strength needs to put to good use ;D :D ;D
Bill Turner

krazyfisher
30-09-2003, 11:16 AM
bill
one thing find out why very active members stop being so active?
I was a very active member now still a member but not active at all.
I would not be the only one that has pulled back on surport.
anyhow good to see you on a board that shows so much enthusiam for fishing hope to hear more from you
thanks

Gazza
30-09-2003, 11:19 AM
Did we charge you to 'join' Ausfish ;D ;D ;D ;D

Stay posted ,and keep posting 8)

damons33
30-09-2003, 11:26 AM
bill, i think you and the great people at sunfish r doing and have done a wonderful job in this very important side of our sport! the best sport in the world that can have a handicaped person beat more physically -abled people on the day! but who here counts fish? ansa also needs some changes to move with the way society has changed- im an ANSA member and we support SUNFISH, many of the great anglers in my club-brisbane sportsfishing club- have worked for sunfish and are proud of their involvement, we also do things with our local community to increase awareness - gold and raw days organised by brisbane city council also angler education schools for youngens'
thanks for your efforts as we apprieciate them!
damon [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Kerry
30-09-2003, 11:41 AM
Bill, As I mentioned it's the performance that matters, what drives that performance is a personal thing.

As for Sunfish, well there's certainly been some unanswered questions in recent times. Funding is one, why was the funding cut, was it because the funds weren't providing the answers expected?

Also there appears a split between the different factions, north, central, south etc if it's Sunfish Queensland then why this split.

Also similar to this "Creel Survey"

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=General;action=display;num=10646232 97

I'm not sure where the politics start and stop but that survey is a complete smoke screen and simply gives the same age old "convenient" findings that tugs at this assumed innocence of recreational anglers.

Frankly between the Commonwealth, the States and all the fringe elements that like smokey fires if the fire ain't put out recreational anglers are going to get steam rolled, very very quickly.

Cheers, Kerry.

jaybee
30-09-2003, 12:36 PM
First of bill welcome to the board. I'm often referred to as a cynical bathtub but you get that, your #
Jaybee, I am not here to question your good intentions so please don't question Sunfish's. to an extent was aimed as such, as i was coming from the perspective (values) of the oganisation i work for, which sadly I cannot post here.In a nutshell, the organisation does not believe in advertising the fact a person has a disability. (as with all organisations and CRUE from DSQ can give you more on that, new gov regs are very strong on this point) We attempt to have the people, involved in as much mainstream stuff as possible, without mentioning a disability, however some are noticed, but often ignored if not bought up. and people achieve because of this. Most of our clients live with both a physical and intellectual disability as well. The point of advertising your disability is where i was coming from and i personally beleive was wrong. However, the post has got some attention, and a member of sunfish on board. I applaud that. Lets hope you keep us well informed. As other members have mentioned, there are some things Sunfish need to clarify, the funding issue i know all about, and that hasn't been explained to a lot of people, who still think Sunfish are guilty as imposed by the media. And yes i was an active member, #but when no one contacts #you after you put your name down for certain things, and when one never recieves an answer to e-mails and at times (not always) returned phone calls, maybe this is why some members (like me) become less interested. So now is the chance for sunfish to convince more people why they should join. By the way Bill if I really told you why I work where I do, I would be advertising. Will discuss that with you in a pm if you are interested.
cheers
Joe.

Volvo
30-09-2003, 01:18 PM
:)Congratulations Bill and i just do hope you may take sunfish in the right direction or should i say help steer it in the right direction but please let the saying change that Sunfish represent all or most rec fisho's as labour assume they represent the normal "Joe blow". I feel they stopped representing me yonks ago as the so called "Joe Blow" along with the same feelings with sunfish.
Sorry but just bein honest and expressing my thoughts live lol.
But like i said congratulations and do hope you help steer in the right direction.
I like Kerry have some thoughts or questions re funding stopped in the past also.
I would like to think that Sunfish arent too close in campsites with the greens too by the way.
Cheers n hope all goes well.

ferralflyer
30-09-2003, 09:40 PM
To all Sunfish devoties,where were you all when Jarrassic lake entrance was filled in and pond posioned all over a fishing comp,all talk now acttion,rec fishers like to winnge about the pros ,they never complain about whats happening on the land,it all well and good to kick the pros out of the bay the whole coast for all I care.
When is every one,club orgainization,insted of complaining about what the commercail side is doing to the bay ,focuss on what you,the club etc can do in your own back yard ,suburb,local drains and water ways,its shorly a case of being far dinkem about belifes and actions,every one has be responceible for what has happened to our water ways in one way or an other at some time.

It gives me great pleasure to help a small group of pepole ever week restoreing a creek bank in the northen end of the bay to stop sillinity in the bay and to bring the balance back to normal,the way it was and yes they do fish and take great pride in what they have done and yep there suppost to be have dissabillities but not from what Ican see ,this small group rates higher in my books than Sunfish ever will,actions allways will speck louder than words.

Just one more thing pros Live the dream ,Rec fishers dream of the dream.Cheers Sunfishers. ;) ;) ;)

PinHead
01-10-2003, 01:32 AM
Point 1: I really have no aversion to Pro Fishers...where would I get my prawns without them?

Point 2: Bill...I have always viewed organisations like Sunfish with cynicism. I have seen it so many times in other sporting organisations...once government funding becomes involved, the organisation becomes a puppet for the puppeteer..who, in most cases in pulling the purse strings.

Point 3: I fish to relax..I have enough stress and arguments during the work day to avoid getting involved in others during my limited time off. I am not in the least bit interested in joining any organisation involved in anything like Sunfish...the intentions are good however there is a huge difference between intentions and what becomes reality. Reality once again comes back to the puppeteer..if he does not like it then the purse closes. It would be similar to joining a political party..the powerbrokers could not give a damn what the average member has to say. They make out they listen then just forget that the poor member even spoke on any subject.

Point 4: I just want to go fishing and be left alone to catch a few fish and enjoy the solitude.