PDA

View Full Version : NEW LEGISLATION FOR LICENCES & REGISTRATION

Mudcrab
02-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Legislation presently to be enacted (it will happen!) is that ANY vessel that has MORE than a 6 hp motor will have to be registered and the operator MUST have a Recreational Boating Licence! This will apply to any type of vessel INCLUDING sailboats!! Long overdue that one!
The old 4 hp + 10 knot speed combination will disappear and 6 hp will be the determing factor!
It will be the manufacturers rated power that counts - not whether yer old 10 hp Yammie only produces a cranky 5 hp power output!

slick
29-09-2003, 03:55 PM
does that mean if i have a 3.7m with a 5hp or a 6hp motor i don't have to have a licence or rego or am i wrong :-/

Kerry
29-09-2003, 04:35 PM
5hp No, 6 HP yes license, doesn't matter what it's on.

Cheers, Kerry.

Lucky_Phill
29-09-2003, 04:41 PM
Having a licence doesn't stop half the clowns out there doing the wrong thing.

Take the Gold Coast.

Passing on wrong sides, overcrowding, speeding, lights ( or lack of ), failing to give way to sail boats, ,,,,, and maybe :-

In the licence test, how about 10 questions on Boat ramp courtesy, launch & retrieve technics and radio competency ?????????????????????

AARRGGHH !!!!!! just blowin off a little steam,,,,,,,again ! ::) ;D

Phill

mackmauler
29-09-2003, 04:42 PM
isn't 6hp not more than 6hp :-/

slick
29-09-2003, 05:16 PM
not trying to do the wrong thing phill just want to start small and get some experience first

gruntahunter
30-09-2003, 01:31 PM
Confusion reigns.
Is it .......(1).over 6hp
or ........(2)6hp and over

jaybee
30-09-2003, 01:50 PM
6 hp grunt and up

gruntahunter
30-09-2003, 02:28 PM
But are you absolutely positive that its 6hp and over?

At the moment its ok to have a 6hp without a licence so any new legislation changing this to 6hp and over requires a licence is going to affect a lot of kids 13, 14, and 15 year olds that have a boat and 6hp outboard at the moment and cant get a licence at that age.

That sounds really wrong to me and I,m thinking that you have got it wrong and that it will still be over 6hp for a licence and the the rego rule will change from over 4hp to over 6hp as well.

gruntahunter
30-09-2003, 03:07 PM
Ok I,ve done a bit of research and it is still going to be OVER 6hp for a licence requirement.The change is that before one had to have a boat that met all 3 requirements before one had to get a licence to operate it namely........
over 6hp
boat was capable of planing
boat was capable of doing 10 knots

the new proposed legislation simply says
over 6hp and you need a licence

If you would like to read this for your self go to this government site

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/maritime.nsf/files/images/$file/draft_msreg_ris.pdf

webby
30-09-2003, 03:09 PM
Think if you read the original message from VMR it says any vessels with more the a 6hp regards

Kerry
30-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Yes if one reads the exact statement the requirements are "an engine of 4.5kW or more", which are engines greater than 4.5kW INCLUDING a 4.5kW engine.

A 4.5kW engine is 6.035 horsepower so yes that technically translates into greater than 6hp BUT not including a 6hp.

Cheers, Kerry.

stevedemon
30-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Hi All
ok I have read the postings from some of you but we all need to have a Lic for over 6hp so we now have that cleared up but then we are still over looking the facts that if as boaties we need this lic for over 6hp then when should it stop and become then learn how to drive a bay cruiser not go out and get a tinnie lic's. :-X :-X :-X I agree with some of the comments on being pleasant at all ramps if someone is having troubles give a helping hand the same as out on the water a little bit of nicities goes a long bloody way as to does the facts that learning how to use all your Equipment on board from Radio's to all Safety gear the proper way this to should be in the tests for lic's but we still have the problem nit-wits on water and people that think they own the water ways in there big rigs why because they have only been tough in the tinnie not in the rigs they buy so you people have a think about learning all safety and how to use your radios this weather we are having now is a good reminder of what and when things can happen don't get caught with your pants down.

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve :P :P

sav
30-09-2003, 05:33 PM
So does this new legislation mean that you need a boat licence to drive a house boat - even though your flat out getting over 4 knots with the tide.
Never been a requirement before.
Regards
Sav

PinHead
01-10-2003, 01:35 AM
Having a licence doesn't stop half the clowns out there doing the wrong thing.

Take the Gold Coast.

Passing on wrong sides, overcrowding, speeding, lights ( or lack of ), failing to give way to sail boats, ,,,,, and maybe :-

In the licence test, how about 10 questions on Boat ramp courtesy, launch & retrieve technics and radio competency ?????????????????????

AARRGGHH # !!!!!! just blowin off a little steam,,,,,,,again ! # # # #::) # ;D

Phill # #

Easy Phill.....just let the steam off slowly..hate to see ya blow a valve.

Kerry
01-10-2003, 09:21 AM
Sav, some qoutes from the proposed legislation but one might need to read these in conjunction with the standards mentioned for hire and drive

Under the proposed new regulation, a licence will be required to operate powered recreational vessels including recreational sailing boats and motorboats powered by engines of 4.5kW or more (greater than 6 hp) irrespective of their hull design or speed capability.

Hire and drive boats, including hire jet skis will not require a licence when operated in accordance with the relevant standard made under the regulation. This includes formal supervision of operators within a defined area of use. If hire and drive boats are not operated in accordance with the standard, the person operating the vessel will be subject to the normal recreational licensing provisions.

My guess would be that in some instances one might require a license but in controlled/supervised situations then no.

;D how about houseboats with 2 or 3 or 4 or more 6hp engines and everybody on board operates one each.

Cheers, Kerry.