PDA

View Full Version : insured or not ?????

adrian
27-04-2003, 08:48 AM
hi gang
had some scumbag steal all the fishing gear out of the boat when on holidays up yeppon , they even put the tarp back over the boat when finished .
anyway after checking with the insurance company ( R.A.C.Q) who over the phone said no problems . when handing in the form was told that none of the items listed were cover in any of my policies ( home or boat ) but they would have been covered if they are at home ( can't cast that far to the water!)

just to let you guys know that it may check to see if they really are covered and get it in writting !! the amount of gear lost was over $2000.00 worth

also can anyone tell me which insurance company is willing to cover fishing and camping gear away from the home as i'm now looking for a company that will cover this type of gear before answering could you check to make sure as i don't want to go through this again

Anzac

CHRIS_aka_GWH
27-04-2003, 10:21 AM
would the items have been covered if it was the boat that was stolen & they were contained therein ??

chris

ps sorry to hear it anzac

adrian
28-04-2003, 02:03 AM
if the boat had gone then they would have paid $300.00 for personal gear but not fishing gear chris

i've chalked it up to a lesson learned and am hopeing that all who read this will learn from my misfortune

Breamreeper
28-04-2003, 05:34 AM
Mate i had the same problem for around the same money stolen. I was told that if the boat had of been inside the perimeters of the house and yard I would have been covered by my home insurance. Maybe next time we can wait till we get home to report it?

Stinks doesn't it

Reeper

Luke
28-04-2003, 06:45 AM
Mine sank so might be a different kettle of fish but I had about $2000 for extras and personal stuff which wasn't all listed but they covered up to the full $2000. That was Suncorp. I was really quite happy with them.

davo
28-04-2003, 08:29 AM
Our home insurance has a section for insured goods unspecified outside the home ( similar to your situation ).

I'm insured with Allianz for home but not the boat as they wanted to double my premium for no reason at all. A lot of other companies do a similar thing but be careful as they don't cover fishing gear or camping gear. Mate, insurance is a necessary evil. Ask heaps of questions, get comfirmation in writing and trust none of them. AAMI is a classic they stuffed my ute up go a proper after a hail storm, I've had paint peel off, overspray, paint mismatch the repair it self was substandard, I'm working with 2 other guys and it's the same.

Cheap insurance is only good if you don't claim.

Touchy - R.I.P.
28-04-2003, 03:30 PM
Hey Anzac,I think you should also see past posts re Bugman or he may wish to add to your tale of woe with a bit of his own,Who amongst us has enough brain power to do a deal with a decent company & perhaps line up some bulk deal to suit all our ausfish boaties :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/.Touchy.><> ><> ><>.

Jeremy
29-04-2003, 03:27 AM
I am insured with AAMI and there is a sedction of the home insurance policy for personal items outside the home. You specify the amount you want covered to cover your fishing and camping gear and other valuables. Costs extra of course, but is worth it. Excess is $100. I got $1000 off them after my boat went over on the bar. I lost heaps more then that, but that is what I was insured for.

Jeremy

bugman
29-04-2003, 05:24 AM
ANZAC,

When they catch them - lets insert the hooks in them one at a time.

Just like Luke, mine sunk so she may be a bit different. I was initially told I couldn't claim on any fishing gear which was revised to $500. I didn't have any fishing/diving gear specifically on my policy but did have electrics/ curtains etc. That probably made the difference between me getting my fully insured amount and not.

All I can say is that insurance cover is like gambling. If you want to ride your luck then don't insure your gear but if you want to go with safety and hedge your bets - insure for what could be lost - and be very specific - get it written on your policy.

If I had another boat I would now have at least $1,000 in fishing and $2,000 in diving above and beyond all the boat costs. I think personal stuff is unable to be covered at all.

I'd encourage anyone reading this to contant their insurer and enquire about their policy - extra $100 a year saves itself quite quickly for $3,000 worth of gear.

Bugman

adrian
29-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Hi Gang
So far the search has come up with AAMI who over the phone said they will cover it. Am still waiting for paperwork to see what the policy says. Will keep you informed in next couple of days to see if their word is true.

Anzac

rick k
29-04-2003, 05:13 PM
Insurance companies work out what they are going to loose on claims, and add their costs and margins.

Before taking out insurance, you have to know what the risk is, and whether the policy you are looking at covers that risk.

I would not bother paying anything more than a token amount to insure anything the loss of which would not financially overwhelm me. This is because the insurance company is charging more in premiums than it thinks I will lose. It has to, its in business.

So, I insure for third party, both personal injury and property damage. I insure our house and its contents. I comprehensively insure my tinny because it is only a little more expensive to do so than to get just third party. The same with our old 4wd.

But, I wouldn't bother insuring anything that would not break the bank, or cause reasonably serious financial difficulty to replace.

swano
29-04-2003, 05:14 PM
g'day anzac
sorry to hear about your hardship >:(
im insured with club marine (a member of the allianz group) their policy states "saftey gear , boat canopies , fishing gear , water ski equipment, diving gear, tools and all other equipment normally removable but excluding property of a personal nature unless agreed and extended"
they also will only pay up to $500 for each of the above unless otherwise agreed, but there has to be proof of "violent and forcible entry into the boat" just think before you report it
they have a branch in qld , p/h (07)38932399 they also do online quotes. hope this helps you out some ;)

dazza
30-04-2003, 05:17 AM
swano,
i have the same cover. we got about $2000 worth of gear stolen out of the boat a few years back. ended up getting $500 and only beacuse the boat has a canvas travelling cover on it. the police deemed it to be "secure and entry was forceable". I thought the policy would have covered everything, but club marine thought otherwise. The problem was in the wording "fishing gear and other accessories". i am not einstein but would have thought rods, reels and a tackle box would count as "fishing gear and other acessories."

you hit the nail on the head when you said "think before you report it"
i would also add read the fine print.
cheers
dazza

Slates
30-04-2003, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I'm with RACV and they offer an extension on the home and contents for an extra $114 per year to cover camping and fishing gear away from home.

Never tested it out though...

argonautical
01-05-2003, 02:39 PM
I am with Club Marine. Re-read my policy and I note that it requires proof of ownership in order to claim accessories. Must make sure that I keep all my receipts.

argo

jaybee
01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
i've been with the same insurance company, home and contents since 1978, initially it was called cgi i think (don't quote me on that one ??) then hannon home and car now allianz has taken over. Reason i have been with them is my old man use to deal with them as the Queensland Proffessional Fishermans league Secretary. and they did deals for commercial fishermen. To cut to the chase I have had fishing gear stolen out of someone elses boat and it was covered, new for old. Have been broken into twice, different addresses fishing gear lost no problems, new for old. With this mob, anything that is mobile, you take from home is covered as contents. Only thing is havent checked it out since Allianz has taken over.
cheers.
joe.

adriancorrea
01-05-2003, 06:03 PM
Hi all 8)
Checked mine today and it covers accessories.
When I looked further into it accessories is
marine radio, sounder gps and the like. :o
Fishing gear and diving gear isnt covered. :-/
Thanks Anzac,
I'll be getting onto them about this in the morning
to see if they can cover fishing gear
and how much extra its going to cost
otherwise I could be asking Jaybe
for some details on the company he is with.

Tight Lines
Adrian

rick k
01-05-2003, 07:07 PM
Adrian,

Last time I checked the extra premium was about 3% of the sum insured.

Make sure that the sum insured is related to the amount they will pay, ie, no point (for you) paying a premium you have calculated on new for old value if all they are going to pay is market value.

Good luck!

rick k
01-05-2003, 07:10 PM
me again, sorry.

You should also clarify in what circumstances they will pay. For example, will they pay if your tackle box full of lures gets knocked off at the ramp while you park your car. How much?

If your rod and reel jumps out of a rod holder. How much?

If the lot gets knocked off at the campsite while the effects of too many cans of anaesthetic wear off?

If you slam the car door on that super expensive rod (sob)?

adriancorrea
01-05-2003, 09:01 PM
Thanks fishtime
Just a few more questions to ask in the morning
Oh how we take things for granted

Tight Lines
Adrian

adrian
07-05-2003, 09:30 AM
well gang
the paper work hasn't come through so back to the phones and allianz seams to be the pick so far but it's still open for any other companies if you know of them . it seems if you want to pay the dollars then maybe they 'll think about it .

as for seeing if someone would being willing to right a policy for us i've had very little response from the companies and if anyone else want's to try by all means try

anzac

adrian
11-05-2003, 04:04 AM
just an update C G U insurance will cover your fishing gear anywhere in the world for a 90 day period as part of your contents policy but like most things it's at a price as for the other no one will send me the fine print to read so it makes me think that they are all bluff so make doubly sure before you go on holidays or you too may find out the same way i did

Anzac

adrian
02-10-2003, 03:10 PM
the guys on the camping board are looking for this article

peewee
02-10-2003, 03:43 PM
hiya anzac,
so sorry to hear about the stolen gear.Its a real bummer :-[ :-[
It does pay to check out the small print doesnt it.
I just had some gear stolen out of my garage.It was about $600 worth,so not quite as bad. It had all been in the house,safely kept in the laundry,but wife was sick of seeing it there,and wanted it out of the way.So eventually,to keep the peace,it put it out in the garage.So now it is gone,and i missed most of the winter off-shore action.BUMMER!!
I did the right thing,reported it to police etc etc,so i had a record for insurance claim.But when i approached insurance company,i was told that since i live in a duplex and my garage was not securely sectioned off from neighbour's,i couldn't make a claim....BUMMER BUMMER !!
I always kept my side of garage locked,and always checked that neighbour's side was pushed shut(and if you didnt know better,it was so hard to open that u would think it locked) Sadly thou,painters had been working at our units,and garage doors had been open a few too many times,and i guess some low-life walking past had seen gear.
Missed the winter off-shore action ,and now i miss my gear !
Guess it comes down to my fault,and i have to take it as lesson learnt,...read policy details,keep gear out of sight,dont listen to wife,...(joking)...and store valuables in a locked bedroom. (hmmmm...wonder if my policy covers fishing gear stolen out a locked bedroom..or do i need to have a guard dog in there as well ??)
Perhaps the thing that took the sting out of my loss,was reading in Bush n Beach that Mono Stewart had a huge amount of decent gear stolen out of his boat.
I feel for these lowlifes who take our hard earned gear....OR I WISH I COULD FEEL THEM..... SQUIRMING ON THE END OF A LINE,OVER SOME DEEP REEF,WITH LOTS OF SHARKIES CIRCLING AROUNDS ! >:( >:(
Who said these types had no worth ?? lol
Suppose if u look hard you can find a silver lining to every situation..atleast i got the new gear i as after !! ;D ;D

mono
02-10-2003, 07:44 PM
G'day Peewee
Yes, I wasn't pleased about loosing all that gear but I'm hoping karma takes its coarse. I'm not sure whats going on in our society but since then I've had other stuff stolen off the boat, only smaller stuff like a couple of hundred bucks worth of snapper leads etc. The boat and contents are insured with LUMLEY GENERAL and had no problems sending a cheque imediatly to replace the stolen goods.

What I didnt mention in that article was, only a month prior to the boat robbery, our house was robbed of all my camera equipment, a large lump of cash and other items totalling around $15,000. The worrying thing for me was my wife, three young kids and myself were in the house at the time and didnt hear a thing!!!
The police eventually caught the guy, who had done the same thing to 28 other places around our town. He wasn't a druggy, he was a compulsive gambler!!!

May your ratchet keep screamin'.
Capt Mark Mono Stewart

Fitzy
02-10-2003, 07:53 PM
Dont know about theft, but I had a pretty bad accident towing a boat a few years ago & had virtually everything in the boat destroyed. Was (and am still with) Club Marine & they paid out not a problem. Approved the lot with 48 hours from memory. Not alot of fishing gear on board at the time, but several thoudand dollars in electronics were just about unrecognisable & they didn't even want to see the bits.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

cmc
04-10-2003, 11:01 AM
Hi Everyone

Im with suncorp metway .. My insurance is for $8200, costs about $160 a year.. I made them write down the following accessories on the certificate:

bimini top
seats
safety gear
ladder
boat cover
rod rack
motor stand
ear muff
tie down
2 marine batteries
battery covers
fish finder
electric charger (never in boat oops)
extension handle
rod holders
rods
reels
cast net
electric motor

I increase the insurance by $1800 and cost only $18

Also, they said that if stolen while camping they cover everything but if at home, the boat has to be secured withing the perimeter...

Hope this helps...

David

ps. gonna read the terms and conditions tonight just to double check as you can never believe an issurance company over the phone he he

adrian
05-10-2003, 04:18 AM
aalso check that it don't say locked in the cabin or locked away as how can you lock something up in a tinnie. club marine has that in their very fine print ..
hope the guys who asked for this in the camping section have taken a lookt at this post

anzac

jaybee
05-10-2003, 03:06 PM
Good show CMC however, what, if any, is the depreciation on accessories is this covered in the value old for new? if so sounds the way to go
cheers
Joe