PDA

View Full Version : Brissy bait purchases

bugman
01-10-2003, 09:44 AM
I'm heading to Fraser this weekend for a couple of quite days fishing.

As I'll be heading offshore, weather permitting, I'm chasing some 3x2 gar (or something similar) that I can rig into squirted mackeral troll baits. Anyone seen any around the place that I can track down.

Also looking for some pretty big squid as well. Probably about 2-5kgs worth of squid and about 20 gar would do.

Brett

sharkbait
01-10-2003, 12:43 PM
Aussie seafoods at capalaba would be the go, got bait there sunday i think the gar were a bit bigger, maybe 6 or 7 inches, good size trolling bait

craigie
01-10-2003, 01:47 PM
G'day Brett,

I buy all my Squid from Sandgate Fisherman's Co-op. Medium size stuff is about $6.00 a kilo, although if you buy 10kg or more it will be cheaper. I'll go you halves if you only want 5 kg's. The tube length of medium squid is 10 - 15cm.
If you decide to give them a call, ask for Dave over in the proccessing shed. Very helpfull guy, but you will have to book it a couple of days in advance to allow for supply (this stuff is fresh and eating quality).

You could try Raptis or The Fish Factory for the gar. Again it's fresh and eating quality. Not sure about price and availability.

Regards Craig.

Local_Guy
01-10-2003, 04:02 PM
maybe you had better buy double the quantity of bait.... you'll prolly eat 1/2 of it before you get to the fishing grounds.

hehehehe... good luck on teh weekend.

adamleah
01-10-2003, 04:06 PM
The seafood shop at Capalaba also sells whole cuttlefish.. both squid and cuttlefish usually sell for around $6/kg

vertico
02-10-2003, 08:17 AM
wellington point bait and tack had some huge gar the other day around 10 -> 12 inches long

bugman
04-10-2003, 07:59 AM
Thanks for all those that pointed me in various directions.

Struggled to tell you the truth.

No-one has large squid at the moment and hardly anyone has whole gar.

I've had to go with frozen for both but - here's hoping they still catch a fish or two.

Bugman

imnotoriginal
04-10-2003, 11:53 AM
What about decent worms in the South-East of Brissie, anyone got any recommendations?

vertico
04-10-2003, 12:05 PM
jacobs well bait and tackle

bugman
04-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Joel,

Seems like you're always on Moreton - you could just jump across to main beach and pull your own ;) ;)

imnotoriginal
05-10-2003, 05:27 PM
Ahhh, these aren't for Moreton mate, but good thinking ;). Need to get a 4wd too, would make things much easier over there and would open up a lot of options. But for now, I'm content to try and master the areas round the resort 8) I think there'll be a few flathead on the barbie this summer ;D
Joel