PDA

View Full Version : Grand Final

Bringback_the_esky
01-10-2003, 02:18 PM
Righto all you fella's and sheila's,
Time to put your rods downs and tell me who is going to fill the esky with the Grand Final Trophy this weekend.[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
VB rules OK.

gruntahunter
01-10-2003, 02:25 PM
I see the Easts roosters heirarchy have gotten their way and got that cheat of a ref Harrigan to win it for them.
They would have exchanged lots of $,s to make sure Bills the man for them.
One day all might be all above board and that,ll be when Broncos and cowboys meet each other in the grand final so the nswrl wont interfere because they wouldnt care. I bet Harrigan wouldnt be the ref if these were the two teams what do you reckon? :-X :-X :-X

stevo
01-10-2003, 03:15 PM
GO PENRITH
i dislike the brad boy [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=argue.gif] [smiley=veryangry.gif]no i hate him as much as the ref. just as long as we have a good fair game not one sided

FOOTBALL WILL BE THE WINNER

banshee
01-10-2003, 03:37 PM
Hey Gruntahunta,what is the major difference between the Broncos and an arsonist? The arsonist wouldn't lose his last eight matches.......Ha Ha you sniveler,Broncos and Cowboys in a Grand Final,dream on and stop sookin.
Stevo,winers will be griners and I hate Girdler,he is a cat in every sense,a real poofta.

GO THE CHOOKIES

snappa
01-10-2003, 03:40 PM
:D PENRITH ;D

Local_Guy
01-10-2003, 04:00 PM
i don't think it's fair that Bill Harrigan refs all 3 State of Origin games. he's too bias towards NSW... "he hates the Broncos with a pasion".

they should let different refs do each game for sport fairness.

go Penrith, they deserve a win

TJH
01-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Will be cheering for Penrith with John Lang at the helm
Even though the REAL Grand Final was played last Saturday.

rickraider
01-10-2003, 04:20 PM
i think more queenslanders play for penrith so i hope they win .i think vb is crap.xxxx 4 me.

Remo
01-10-2003, 04:26 PM
Sorry fellas,
but isn't the game to watch on October the 10th. ;D ;D ;D
Go the men in gold!!!
[smiley=laola.gif]

Lucky_Phill
01-10-2003, 06:09 PM
Believe it or not, I have played League from under 7's until I was 31. Leagueie thru and thru. But on the weekend I watched the AFL Final and then the semi's in League.

I think I'm converted. Mainly due to the piss poor coverage by Channel 9.

The AFL was tough, fast and had more action than a Friday Night at the Victory Hotel Beer Garden ;) ( for those in the know ).

The Chooks or the Cats ?

4 Queenslanders in each side, But Lang is the coach.

I suppopse it'll have to be The Chocolate Soldiers.

I'll have to turn the commentary off though. Bl*%#y bias, Sterlo & Fatty and poor old ( Oops, wrong name again ) Rabbits. Even the callers at the AFL beat these guys pants down.

;) ;D :o 8)

Phill

clutter
01-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Channel 9 has way to much infulence over the NRL these days. We used to have finals during the day time on a Sunday and now the wallies that run the show have taken it to Sunday night for the last couple of seasons. NSW have a public holiday on the monday but stiff for all the other states, so much for a national competition.

For my money the best rugby league on the telly these days is the Queensland Cup on the ABC. I saw the best games this year and the comentators just call it as it is not as if they need to renew a contract or get more money off a sponsor. The refs are pretty good also, Adam Neil is a real good one to watch. Don't get me started on Refs though, has Bill Harrigan got photos of the ref selectors in compromising positions or something? Give someone else a go like Tim Mander.

Oh yeh, I hope the Panthers win.

Cheers, Clutter

imnotoriginal
01-10-2003, 07:19 PM
lol, sterlo's not that bad, but for a queenslander fatty is bloody awful. And don't even get me started on Phil Gould, the biggest wa&^%r to ever commentate a game. I hope the panthers win, the roosters wouldn't have even made last years final if harrigan hadn't put the whistle away during the semi final against the broncs. Freddie Fittler's the most over-rated player in the game. Go the panther's, you deserve it.
Joel
p.s lockyer for Australian captain now that tallis is gone!

bugman
02-10-2003, 04:06 AM
Bout time we got you converted Phil - to the greatest game of all (sorry to union fans for pinching your motto).

I really couldn't give two hoots about the rugby league this year. There's been just nothing there to grab your attention. Maybe it's the teams in the finals or maybe it's just that the game is so bloody formulated now I don't know.

I won't be watching it anyway. I'll be watching the end of my xxxx tin on Fraser.

Yeh har.

Bugman

snappa
02-10-2003, 08:14 AM
:D give the nrl a boost :D
>:( BRING BACK THE BIFF :o

gruntahunter
02-10-2003, 01:11 PM
Hey the motto" greatest game of all" belongs to league fellas and dont forget it.
Go changa Langa and bury those chooks and with it that wally gould.

rickraider
02-10-2003, 03:23 PM
yeah clutter i agree with you ,it is crap that its on 730pm just for the ratings i used to love abc with big artie and warren boland.gould is the biggest w*nker and fatman is so full of himself nowadays. # # # # UP #THE # RAIDERS

Local_Guy
02-10-2003, 06:14 PM
i agree with what everyone else has said. #phil gould is the biggest w*nker of them all.
but sometimes you have to listen to the guys in the commentary box, they call plays better than the video ref.

last year or the year before in the State of Origin, one of the NSW's guys did 2 knock on's in a row and bill "the bias w*nker" Harrigan said he didn't touch it.

broncos would have won before. #they use to be known for the team that could pull anything off. but with all this crappy refereeing it's letting them and the sport down.

BRING BACK THE BIFF, and stop all this role model stuff. they are there to win, not be critisized for being who they are. #the reporting "judiciary" system sux. just send players to the sin bin.. get rid of salery caps.

imnotoriginal
03-10-2003, 12:55 PM
nah, the salary cap keeps the game fair mate. If the salary cap had been in place since the game started everyone would be saying 'Manly who?' right now ;) Makes it more of a junior development and team management competition, as well as playing good footy at the top. I think half those young panthers would be out of a grand final and at a cashed up sydney club without it. Go the broncs first and foremost, go the panthers on sunday!
Joel

opimax
03-10-2003, 01:41 PM
giday all bring back 2.30 kick_off nrl is playing into afl hands. :'( :'( :'( lee

Sean
03-10-2003, 01:48 PM
Everyone seems to have an opinion on this, Myself included. First of all i am a bronco through and through, but I have to say everyone is useing Harrigan as a bit of a scapegoat, lets face it the broncos played pretty shit at the end of the year and really did not deserve to be in the top 8. They were always going to get beaten in the finals because their form was terrible. But when you look at it, Who is going to ref if it wasn't for Harrigan, I know I shudder whenever I see the kickoff to a game and Stephen Clark has the whistle, and yeah I agree Tim Mander has his good days but he also makes some shocking decisions. I think Harrigan is regarded as the best not because he doesn't make stuff ups, because lets face it he is only human and has to make the decision on the spot, but i think he is the best because he plays a consistent set of rules which I think most teams know, keeps the game flowing, and is reasonably consistant. I think the reason us Broncos struggle with him is we like to slow the play-the-ball down whereas he likes a fast game. I think if Harrigan was say 10 the next best would be Mander on about 6.5, but hey that is just my opinion. Also I don't know how everyone can criticise the commentry team. Sterlo is by far the best as he doesn't favour anyone in his commentry, and I have to say, I can not stand Phil Gould If he is commentating the bloody Roosters, but for the rest I think he is quite a good commentator, he gives a good insight into why he is such a succesful coach, he reads the game well, and communicates his view well. Fatty is a bit of an elitist now but, not the old Queensland battler he used to be, and I think Vossy just doesn't cut it. If you want whistle blowers to be pulling the play up for every little infringement and making the game slow, why not watch one of the crappy games of union, (don't get me wrong, a good game is great, but i'm talking about a game where the ref totally dominates the game)where any penalty within halfway (even a lot 2 meters out from the try line) results in a really thrilling conversion attempt. Wow he got it over, how exciting!! ;)

imnotoriginal
03-10-2003, 03:51 PM
yes, true, it could be worse...we could have shane hayne refereeing the grand final :o :o That would bring a tear to the eye. I'm sure we'd hear all about it from Phil Gould that night... >:( The broncos form was crap, but that's cause they provided so many pivotal players to the representative games. Five-eight, half-back, hooker and our world's best fullback all played some representative football, as well as Shane Webcke being forced to play 4 matches in 10 days....and you wonder why they played badly.... :(
Joel

banshee
03-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Sean shows surprising clarity of thought and unbias considering he is a Queenslander and he should be commended for it.I have been making the trip north each year since they let you ferrals into the real comp to watch the best club team in the world play,but it wasn't until I went to Sandcorp Stadium that I realised how crazy you bastards realy are,even when your wrong your right,then when the Refs decision is proven to be correct after being replayed on two screens five million feet high you all vent your anger,tinie of xxxx in hand you cry for blood and denounce him as a f'wit and biased.Boys face it,this year your team was shit,end of story.I can only hope that come Sunday night I'll be singing"Here come the Roosters,the red white and blues'ters"

GO THE CHOOKIES

spinna
03-10-2003, 05:44 PM
Well what can i say um let me see

N.S.W are just to good

And as for refs well QLD had the grasshopper for how long and he only had one eye.

AFL is a faster harder game to play its not just the coverage and i played both codes for a long time by the way it was good to see brissy win for the third year in a row.

But its even better to see two N.S.W teams in the arl grandfinal [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Now who is going to win who cares

cheers spinna :o 8) :)

Sean
04-10-2003, 02:52 PM
Yes I do agree, they play too much footy, it really affects the GOOD teams like the Broncos. As for Banshee, how can you possibly post all that crap about us being biased, did you read your post mate!! ??? I believe in passion for a club, but what is wrong with seeing a game as it is played and not entirely through biased eyes. You applaud a team when they do well and live with a few bad decisions, they do go both ways, as much as a win is a win, it is kind of sour when your team doesn't deserve to win due to a bad decision......am I the only one out there who can watch two teams play, desperately want one to win but accept it if they don't? By the way...go the panthers, i don't think they will win but I really hope they beat the Roosters.....and yeah.... I think Brad Fittler is overrated...he is a good player but all he has to do to get a man of the match award is Make 1 good pass...don't worry about all the Shit ones he throws before....he'll throw the last pass to a try and it's..'Ohh Freddy, we love you Freddy, We want to have your baby freddy!!' and everyone forgets all the hard work done by the forwards, and a good break by someone to get them to within 10 meters of the line. But it is a great game isn't it!!!

clutter
04-10-2003, 03:56 PM
While we are on footy I will throw this one in as well. Am I the only one that believes that sometimes a draw is a good result for a game and generally gives a good reflection of the game. Why did we have to go to the stupid golden point rule. I can sort of understand it in regard to a final but why not extra time and then golden point as a last resort just for finals to save a replay and leave draws as part of the regular competition. Worked well enough when I played and I am sure there are plenty of others in the same boat.

Cheers, Clutter

Local_Guy
04-10-2003, 04:35 PM
i think the reason for the golden point rule was due to the last 2 state of origins being a draw.

i myself thought that this was only going to be in the state of origin, but they put it in the whole competition. i don't like the idea either.

as for baggng the refs. i know no one is perfect, but when they make obvious mistakes that badly affect one team it's just not right. i think thats all the other guys were saying. myself included...

PinHead
05-10-2003, 01:51 AM
The AFL would have to be the most boring thing known to mankind...absolutely no structure..game of cheap shots..waste of electricity to watch it. I must admit though, that their general fitness is good..it must be to run around the paddock pushing and shoving each other like that. BUT...those dudes under the sticks..they cut me ...their animated looking in the air to see if the ball has gone thru the sticks then their hand signals...so bloody funny..anyone would think they were guiding a plane to land on an aircraft carrier.

As for the Broncos and Harrigan..if someone taught the Broncos how to get off a tackled player and also how far 10 metres is..then perhaps they would not be penalised as much. I saw some statements about Fittler being overrated..he is very similar to Wally Lewis and Andrew Johns...those 3 have an uncanny knack of knowing what is going to happen before it happens. They control the game for a couple of tackles ahead. Watch them..they can see if someone looks buggered..then they run at them..it works a treat. If the Panthers forwards are rushing forward and bustling the Roosters..keep an eye on Fittler..he will drop back a bit deeper..call for the ball and chip over their heads..will keep turning their forwards around..and, believe me, forwards hate that. He has awesome skills in the game.

As for the refs...as the players have become more professional and fitter and faster..try being a ref..he has no interchange..he can drop back into the play and have a breather..he is on the move the entire length of the game...they are no different to in years past...just that stupid bloody TV showing every lil mistake 25 times and from every angle...who cares..they have made mistakes from the day the game was invented and they will continue to do so...it is part of being human...we all make mistakes in out jobs.

I cannot see the Panthers being within 20 points of the Roosters at the end.

PinHead
05-10-2003, 01:52 AM
bloody hell..did I type all that ??????

Tally
05-10-2003, 07:46 AM
I say bring back 2:30pm kick-off's or there will be a lot of sickies chucked on the Monday ;D.

Broncos fan myself but I hope the Panthers win (got cousins living in Katoomba)

Cheers,
Jay.

SteveCan
05-10-2003, 09:09 AM
Go guys! - more thought went into this post than most fo the Fishy ones... Just goes to show how good a grip footy has on us - everyone here is an expert :D ;)

My Two cents - the Roosters because they are more professional outfit this year, Penrith have had a ripper season and I would love to see them win, but Freddy's boys are just too good this year.

As for the Bronco's - My team - This was just not their year, they have a lot of re-building to do. I wonder if perhaps it is Wayne Bennett that is gettting tired? Next year will tell I guess.

But as for Grand Finals - Even if the Broncs were in the Final, I still reckon AFL puts on a better show. Rugby League just doesn't have the tradition anymore and because it is basically owned by channel nine, it just doesn't have the appeal anymore that it used to. The 6.30 sunday night timeslot is a betrayal to the fans. My kids will be asleep before half time, so where are they going to learn the love of the game? Imagine if Auckland had made the final - Kickoff is not until 9.30pm in NZ. what a joke. It's a farce. >:(

But don't worry - I was weaned on Rugby League (Go Wests!(QLD)) so I will be there with a stubby of XXXX in hand and I am hoping for a ripper game, because that's all that carries RL these days. The traditions are long gone.

Cheers
Steve.

Local_Guy
06-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Wahooooo... the team i went for WON. i didn't have any money down or anything and who ever won wouldn't have affected me in anyway. but what a game. one of the best i hvae seen all year.

Excellent referring
BIG HITS
tight close match. only 2 tries scored until the 66th minute.

enough said. what are your comments now that the game of the year is over.... this game outclassed all 3 State of Origin games put together.

skales
06-10-2003, 06:44 PM
OH Is that Chooks I can smell on the BBQ .YOU RIPPER! Its a shame to see growen men cry hey Freddie HAHA !

PinHead
07-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Those Lang guys sure surprised me...I was way off the money on that one.

imnotoriginal
07-10-2003, 06:05 AM
What a bloody match! it was tight and tense and it took some individual brilliance. That final try was just like what the bulldogs did to the roosters earlier this year, and it gutted them again! Was glad to see Penrith hit back at all the knockers. Can't wait til next season!
Joel

fishy_phil
07-10-2003, 09:10 AM
GO THE PANTHERS!!!!!
wish i had some money on 'em...
but wat is it about the broncos players... you all say they are the best in the comp...but if they were they should be able to handle a few matches in a couple of days...
Well didnt harrigon have a good match last night less than 5 bad calls the whole game...must be because the broncos arent playing and hardly any penalties either...because parra arnt playin...lol. but i rekon tim mander is a better ref...he doesnt miss anywere near as many infringements..btw if the broncos are so good y cant they keep the required 10 meters, and get off the players once they are tackled!!! if they were as good as you say they are why did they lose 8 matches in a row???
THE ANSWER: THEY ARE NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS YOU RECKON THEY ARE!!! the way they play isnt even a legal way!!! think about it this way if they played within the rules there would be no problem!!! but they consistently cheat and i reakon they should be fined and any other team in the comp if they excede 15 penalties in a match. that would encourage a faster more flowing match..and less problems with the ref.

banshee
07-10-2003, 02:38 PM
What can I say?My poor little chookies were plucked,stuffed and roasted,done to a turn in eighty minutes.I hope I don't have to wait another twenty six years to hear them crow.On the bright side......they were right in it 'til the kick off.

clutter
07-10-2003, 05:11 PM
Think there might be a few people over Cronulla way with a bit of egg on their faces as well as the chooks themselves.

Can't believe Pridis didn't make the Kangaroos.

Clutter

imnotoriginal
07-10-2003, 05:39 PM
Lockyer as captain of the test team, everything is as it should be ;D
Joel

Bringback_the_esky
08-10-2003, 10:34 AM
Well well, I have just sobered up after the big one,, I am down to the last can of VB.
The posers were specials, it is time to get the boat out now and go and get a esky full of sandies out in the bay.
See yars out there, (hic) (hic), [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]