PDA

View Full Version : Wave Break Island Labrador

dnej
10-10-2003, 06:29 AM
Would like to take my 82 year old f/inlaw to Wave Break
for a days outing.What are the best spots (a) to fish (b)
to put the boat up on the beach. Blood worms the go?Are yabbies available to be pumped?

Are whiting and flathead the go in that area.?

Run in or runout tide, and best tide time , so I can do some planning ?
And which anchorage shown in Beacon to Beacon is best, depending on wind etc.

Which boat ramp has the pontoon,opposite the Grand Hotel, or Loders Creek?

Thanks in advance
David Follett

PS Touchy , did you see my post?

DaneCross
10-10-2003, 07:16 AM
Gday David,
I wouldn't be pulling my boat up onto the beach on the Eastern (Seaway) side, swell and wakes from the bloody big boats that roll thru there make a hell of a shore break. Whiting and flathead are definitly the go on the sand flats. If you're after something bigger theres a deep hole off the northern break wall on the eastern side, I've heard of Kingys being taken from there.
In a Northerly, the anchorage on the southern side if the island is really pleasant. I'd say its vice-versa in a southerly but havn't really cheacked out the Northern anchorage.
Wavebreak is a pretty popular island for all the rich, big luxury weekend boat drivers so don't expect to have it to yourself (although most are just tanning and picnicing on the beach).
The ramp at the Grand has a floating pontoon and is closer to Wavebreak.
Hope this helps
DC

dnej
10-10-2003, 08:38 AM
Can the flats on the west side be navigated or is the water too shallow.
To get to the north end, would you travel along South Wave Break Island Channel, and hang a left at the southern wall on Wave Break Island, till you get to the Northern wall.
Any info on yabbies, tides etc
David

SteveCan
10-10-2003, 09:07 AM
Hi Dave,

West side is definitely a high tide only proposition, there are good yabbie flats there at low tide however. There are well marked channels to the east and west fo the island, so navigating around it shouldn't be a problem.

Good Luck!

Cheers
Steve.

dnej
10-10-2003, 09:24 AM
Thanks Steve, any one tide and time better than another?
David

vertico
10-10-2003, 09:43 AM
I fished the south of wavebreak island one time about 2 months ago and only caught 10 toadfish.

We moved :)

cmc
10-10-2003, 04:15 PM
Yes, been doing Wave Break for years... Not too good for fishing - so much traffic... Nice spot though

West side of island has yabbies everywhere - High tide no problem but you may get wet...

If its windy the boat ramp near the Broadwater Tourist Park is your best bet

Good luck

David

webby
10-10-2003, 04:35 PM
Hi David, Try anchoring inside close to the north rock wall, even with the current roaring, this area is quite calm, cast back onto the rock wall., or go to the southern wall and anchor back inside wavebreak between the yellow and the endof the rock wall, and fish back into the deep hole or to the edge of the rocks. you miss a fair bit of the boat traffice in these two places, if there on the weekend. Or shoot up to crab and go right up in between the two islands and anchor close in near the mangroves on the right hand side.
Or across at curriggee the shallow flats south often produce a few parrot along this stretch on the ebb.
The banks north of crab has yabbie, or if your leaving from grand hotel ramp (poontoon) go to the eastern side of wavebreak at low and yabbie available.
Or drift the drop offs on the banks north of wavebreak on the flood for whiting. You can usually get yabbies here at low also.Enjoy your day, the old fella should enjoy it.
regards

dnej
11-10-2003, 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone.Good info Webby.Any danger in the current?
David