PDA

View Full Version : muddie season

gruntahunter
13-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Ok fellas and gals, who is game enough to predict when the muddies will start appearing THIS year. I mean in good numbers. Seems to be getting later each year.
I know the weather plays a major role but in yyears way gone they would be right on by now in September.

jaybee
13-09-2003, 04:33 PM
They have already been getting them in good number and size down bruns right through winter grunt, just talking to my bro he is thinking of going tomorrow yet again, lucky bugger, havent heard if anyone has tried for them over winter up here, with this heat tho, surely they musnt be too far away, i would say if we don't get any rain we will have to go right up the top end of the creeks.
cheers

Tally
16-09-2003, 06:08 AM
G'day Grunta,
Mate and I got 3 bucks in the Logan river last Saturday nite. Had to leave 6 pots in over night (risky I know) all the pots had crabs but only 3 legal bucks. I reckon we will start getting the big ones in numbers when the fresh water flushes em out. Good luck. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Cheers,
Jay.

craigie
16-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Well done Jay, took the risk and got the rewards. Were the Muddies Full or a bit empty. I usually only get empties at this time of year ???
Well JB, might have to give my haunts in the Brissie River a whirl :-/

A bit of rain would certainly kick things along a bit.

Cheers
Craig.

bungie
16-09-2003, 03:07 PM
Muddies and the Brisbane River. Are they edible from all places, or are there a few spots where they might be a bit iffy ??

grey_inflatable
16-09-2003, 03:38 PM
hi all i had a few good muddies up the sunny coast about 3 weeks ago , and i always catch more with fresh bait rather than the baits i top up for the next night . im not to shore how teritorial they are well enjoy and gee the muds are strong . but mighty fine

Tally
17-09-2003, 09:33 AM
Craig,
Of the three we kept, one was fullish and the other two were on the lite side. We threw back a buck of about 13.5cm that was definately full (had not changed his shell yet and was strong and heavy as).

Bungie,
I know there are a few spots up near Goodna in the Brissie river that are good for crabbing given the conditions. A mate catches crabs there all the time and they aren't iffy.

Cheers,
Jay.

P.S. Will be on the Pine river tomorrow, might put a few pots out and see how we go.

bungie
17-09-2003, 12:16 PM
Tally,

Dont spose you want to upset your mate and let me know where around Goodna might be the place to drop a few pots ??

bungie
17-09-2003, 12:19 PM
Ok, silly question.
How long would my pots need to be in the water for a good chance of catching muddies ? without them needing to be out all night ??

bungie
17-09-2003, 12:21 PM
Looking at the above questions ....... Dont suppose anybody wants to catch em for me too ?? ;D ;D ;D ;D

craigie
17-09-2003, 01:56 PM
I'll eat em for ya Bungie if ya like ;D ;D

bungie
17-09-2003, 04:08 PM
:o

jaybee
17-09-2003, 04:16 PM
bungie my brother works on the theory if there is current 20 mins, at the most he has showed me this, and it works a treat where he lives.
cheers.

merv
11-10-2003, 12:49 PM
i tried the river upstream and had 6 out of 8 pots stolen what they did'nt take they cut up. when your only on a pension it's hard enough to buy fuel bait etc without some low-life taking them if the lowlife happens to be reading this (PROBABLY STOLE SOME BODYS ELSES COMPUTER) I hope he has a dose of the runs for 10 years and a day. Just warning other honest crabbers to beware of leaving pots overnight unattended. Merv

jaybee
11-10-2003, 02:46 PM
Merv its not nice, but then you need to keep your floats line of sight, the howard government arent making it easier for pensioners either, specially those on a disability support pension that are working the hours they can, once they put those guys on the scrap heap with bankruptcy, it will be next lower income earner in line
cheers
Joe.