PDA

View Full Version : Resolving the Marine Radio Licence issue

Mudcrab
08-09-2003, 08:00 PM
Cost of Manual $26.00
Cost of Examinatuion $36.50
Cost of instruction at approved provider (approx) $110.00
It is important to remember that you DON'T need a course! Self study of the excellent manual is all you would need to pass the test!

jaybee
09-09-2003, 01:49 AM
Question? is 27 meg eventually going to be obsolete? and if so when?
cheers
joe.

Kerry
09-09-2003, 04:42 AM
Jaybee, To some extent 27mHz radio is better than no radio at all but from my perpective 27mHz (technologgy) is obsolete but some organisations especially in the south insist on keeping it alive.

These days the cost difference v the performance and safety difference has narrowed considerably since 27mHz marine radio was basically introduced in the days of HF (and cost of HF) when VHF still had a long way to go.

The legacy of 27mHz marine basically stemmed from Dick Smith and it was a good thing at the time but times have changed but many haven't/aren't changing with the times. #

As for the cost of VHF, there's something wrong when the same VHF radio is selling at one place for $399 and another for $275.

Cheers, Kerry.

NQCairns
09-09-2003, 06:36 AM
Think I could have ticked more than one in this poll easily, but when they have you bent over what can you do!. Still going to get one though, no choice there anymore. cheers nq

NQCairns
09-09-2003, 06:41 AM
Any one know what the fine is for unlicenced usage of a vhf? Nq

Fitzy
10-09-2003, 06:45 PM
While doing a course isn't necessary, I would advise ppl to do it if they can. I was going to just sit the exam but had the opportunity to do it while doing other modules at Maritime College so I did it then. I picked up alot of things from my teacher that simply weren't in the book. Another advantage is that you can ask questions from your instructor where with a book you may not be able to work it out.
From memory there was 3 different exams (you get one of the three at random). They all consist of 40 mutliple guess questions & 5 written questions. Get one of the written ones wrong & you fail but you were allowed to miss a couple of the multiple guess ones.
May have changed since i did mine tho.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

stevedemon
11-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Hi All
Fitzy I don't know how long ago you did yours as I have only done mine at the Maritime College this year past out in June it has changed a little all multiple choice questions now but it was well worth the knowledge you pick up Ok people for those of you who are looking at the price to just do the radio course at a college is around $182.00 as compared to the V.M.R course of $62.50 this is a real bargain and the knowledge you will pickup is very favorable.

Hope this helps to make the decision easier

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve :P :P

Coke
12-09-2003, 09:33 AM
Does anyone know where a VMR course can be done on the Gold Coast?

Coke

Kerry
13-09-2003, 04:59 AM
So presumeably the highest votes (shouldn't require a licence to operate VHF) are from users who don't have a licence :-/. Yes, No?

Really one needs to look past the 27 mHz institution as 27 mHz is really nothing more than a local "club" frequency and really doesn't have the capability to encroach on other radio activities as is the case with VHF, VHF marine being international and fitted to a wide range of commercial shipping and other operations for a wide range of operations.

Being used by such a wide spectrum everybody needs to be working from the one "song sheet" and if one isn't aware of the "song sheet" rules then more than likely radio procedures and freq use simply turn to rabble like much of the 27 mHz chatter and garble.

Maybe those who don't think it's necessary to become deemed "competent", might like to outline why?

Cheers, Kerry.

NQCairns
14-09-2003, 09:08 PM
But Kerry it is necessary because the licence is enforced, the power to deem anything should be ripped from the beurocrats armbands. Very poor subsitute being deemed. I deem that those that deem as jackasses mostly. Just a spit - god I hate that word and what it stands for. nq

stevedemon
15-09-2003, 03:41 PM
Hi All
Ok I will have my final say on this matter as some of you seem to think that you have to pay this fee Annually well think again it is a once off fee you have the V.H.F. lic's for life beleive it or not it is the only thing that the Government has done for us Boaties so have a think about it the knowledge, the safety factor, and knowing you are going to get home safely if some thing happens

Cheers ;D ;D

Steve :P :P

damons33
15-09-2003, 05:32 PM
ohhh to guy that dont know what vhf is its a gospel music radio station on the am band 4vhf gospel and sole!

merv
11-10-2003, 12:20 PM
i just purched a new vhf gme radio .when i inquired re licence i was told that you no longer need one we phoned various departments & was told to phone coastguard. was told you could do a couse or if we new operating procedures that all you had to do was to become a ass/member and pay then you are given a call sign. seems when you buy a boat the salesmam tell you not to bother about it. ( very interisting ) to say the least merv

NQCairns
11-10-2003, 12:58 PM
Hi Merve, yeah same happened to me the sales person (woman) said "The new regulations say that you dont have to licence the VHF" She was right you now have to licence yourself to use any VHF what a step backward for safety in my opinion.
I guess being selective when selling isn't a fib but it sure aint honest either, she paid for the con, with me offering to buy the areialsp? and unit for $60.00 less than marked and they were well priced. If she didn't get my quiet dander up, I probably would have paid full price. ;D nq

bj
11-10-2003, 03:19 PM
I got my licence around 10 years ago.Sat in for the lessons one night a week for about 4 weeks or so at V.M.R Beenleigh then went there to do the exam on another night, and think that the time and money spent was worth every cent.
I have a 27meg as well but hardly ever use it.I find that the language on 27meg leaves a bit to be desired at times especially when my wife and family are aboard.That does not mean that V.H.F is squeaky clean but it is a dam lot better.I also learned a lot more about boating and safety also by doing the course.
Any way by being a member of a V.M.R could save you money in the long run if you need a tow some day.Check out what V.M.R.Victoria Point has to offer.A friend of mine was towed from Barwon Banks and cost in excess of $600 by Mooloolaba .V.M.R. Just food for thought. Cheers.