PDA

View Full Version : Gps Mapping

blaze
13-10-2003, 05:03 PM
Hi all
Just purchased a Magellan Meridian Platium gps with a 250meg data card (blank) I had mapping software to cover tas and vic cities and roads and have loaded these. It seems to be a good unit but there is really no data in the base map for sea navigation. I was orginally going to buy the marine version (that seems to have basic navigation) but the guy I got this off gave me a really good deal as he is a ebayer and his deal fell over.
So the question is, what is the best sea navigation software that is compatable with this unit, where do I get it, when I register the unit with magellan is there that type of upgrade on there site, I dont mind paying for software (have paid upto $20000 for my sign software) but I do like to know and research what is about
any help would be appriciatted
cheers
blaze
Ps my thoughts are also with people that lost loveones in bali

Kerry
14-10-2003, 05:32 AM
Any base map (marine or otherwise) is just that very basic and really for general interest only.

"What is the best sea navigation software that is compatable with this unit" and in that I'm assuming that by "sea navigation software" you mean maps/charts you can load into the meridian, then you have no choices.

It has to be Mapsend BlueNav Charts (made by Magellan of course), which are based on Navionics Gold charts. There are several methods of loading these by using a preprogrammed SD card or the CD option. The only other decision required is the coverage, Local charts (2 covers Tasmania) or the wider area version, which requires only 1 chart to cover Tasmania and parts of Victoria but of course the difference is reflected in the cost, somewhere between $300 and $600.

As far as I'm aware software upgrades are free regardless of registration and can be found here (including manuals)

http://www.magellangps.com/en/support/products/meridianplatinum.asp

and will require a data cable but if going with the CD chart option (without card reader) then that can require a data cable as well. It would appear that version 4.02 (as available for download) if not already installed is required to support Mapsend Blue charts?

Cheers, Kerry.

blaze
14-10-2003, 07:19 AM
Hi Kerry
Thanks for that and I will follow up on those tips
cheers
blaze