PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol Fuel & Outboards

Lucky_Phill
21-09-2003, 12:24 PM
The Hon. Dr David KemP MP
Minister for the Environment and Heritage

Mr Peter Dutton MP
Member for Dickson

I refer to your recent representation on behalf of Mr Peter Boyd of Albany Creek about the impact #of ethanol fuel products on outboard motors.

You will be aware that the Government has conducted extensive testing to determine the impacts of higher ethanol blends on automotive engines. I have set a 10 per cent limit for the blend of ethanol in-petrol and after initial results of tests on vehicle engines suggested that blends of 20 per cent ethanol were not suitable for a portion of Australia's vehicle fleet.

The Government has conducted testing on the impact of both 10 and 20 per cent ethanol blended fuels on non-automotive engines, including a common 15-horse power Mercury outboard engine. I have attached copies of two reports detailing the results of this testing.

Testing on the 15-horse power Mercury outboard engine revealed that stalling may occur when the throttle is opened from low speed with higher ethanol blends, creating a possible safety hazard. #Even with a 10 per cent blend, some effects on parts and operation were detected, and a number of marine motor manufacturers advise against use of even low ethanol blends.

It is for this reason that, in the absence of action by most States to require labelling under fair trading laws, I am taking steps to require the mandatory labelling of ethanol blends. I have introduced legislation into the Parliament that will allow me to require labelling of fuels, including #their suitability for particular types of engines. As soon as Parliament passes that legislation I will take steps to require mandatory labelling of ethanol blends.

Further information on the Government's testing of, ethanol blends is available at:

www.ea.gov.au/atmosphere/transporVfuel/ethanol/index.html.

Yours sincerely
DAVID KEMP \
Parliament House, Canberra 2600 Australia

Good research Peter. #We should all be informed on what fuel we are using, and if unsure, ask the Servo operator.

peterbo3 #c/- Phill

peterbo3
15-10-2003, 04:26 AM
^

peterbo3
15-10-2003, 04:27 AM
^

peterbo3
15-10-2003, 04:39 AM
NOBODY seemed too interested in this letter from the Federal Minister last time round so I have taken the liberty to bump it.
The report commissioned by the Federal Government indicates that damage will/can be caused by an ethanol blend set as low as 10% - exactly the amount being pushed by certain elements within the fuel & boating industries.
I have the hard copy letter written by the Minister & reproduced above by Phill as I had a computer problem at the time.
The message is clear. Use of an ethanol blend will damage your O/B. No problem in big towns where there are large service stations providing ethanol-free fuel, but what happens when you are in a small town with only one servo & one ULP pump?