PDA

View Full Version : Bad Advertizing

ferralflyer
14-10-2003, 09:39 AM
I had a cuppa at a mates place on the weekend and flicked through his OCT fishing monthly only to see a full page Yammaha ad.

There was One person in the tinny and more than 4 crab pots,this is a QLD publication ??? ??? it seem there are rules for some and not for others.

As I see it this advertizing prommotes bad fishing practices and some one should be held ressponceable for it and fined, may be this is some thing for Sunfish to look into,thats if there fair dinkem about what they stand for.

What does every one else think,Cheers ;)

mackmauler
14-10-2003, 10:06 AM
One time i was pulled up by the fisheries boat :o should of bought a lotto ticket i know :D anyway they are going through my catch and i notice the pots on their boat, quick count % 2 they are 6 over the limit, I questioned them about it and they had in fact "found" the pots, yeah right i say i want your id im going to report you 8)... and then tell my mate there rego number and to get the camera out we will take the evidence and report it to the cops, in the end i let them off the hook, lol who can you trust to uphold the law hey ;)

imported_admin
14-10-2003, 10:24 AM
The rule states
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/11416.html#gear
"Up to 4 crab pots or dillies (or a combination of pots and dillies) may be used per person."

It would depend on the way you read the rule. It does not say it is illegal to have more than 4, it just states that you can only use up to 4.

The way it is written you could pull one in and throw another one out straight away and therefor not be using more than 4 at once.

Kerry
14-10-2003, 10:56 AM
The wording is

"A person who is fishing must not possess or use more than 4 traps (in any combination)"

So depending on how one reads that, a person who is "fishing" (how ever one would like to define that) must not "possess" OR "use" more than 4 traps, which isn't simply restricted to straight crap pots (proper), includes dillies, scoop nets etc.

So one could have heaps of pots at home (not in the process of fishing) but making out like your "fishing" (how ever that might be ???) then "must not possess or use more than 4" sort of defines things.

Cheers, Kerry.

imported_admin
14-10-2003, 11:06 AM
Kerry

Where did you get that text from ?

I copied the text in my post straight from the website, see link in post above.

PinHead
14-10-2003, 12:11 PM
It is only an ad..hell..if everything in ads had to abide by the law then there would be no car ads etc..on second thoughts that is not such a bad thing.

Big_Muddie
14-10-2003, 01:21 PM
This is a copy direct from:

SCHEDULE 8
RECREATIONAL FISHING—USE OF FISHING APPARATUS
section 96
PART 1—CRAB POTS, COLLAPSIBLE TRAPS, DILLIES AND INVERTED DILLIES

3 Permitted ways of taking crabs
(1) Crabs may only be taken by using crab pots, collapsible traps, dillies or inverted dillies.
(2) Not more than 4 crab pots, collapsible traps, dillies or inverted dillies alone or in a combination may be used at a time.

I have questioned fisheries about this on a couple of occasions. The emphasis as far as fisheries are concerned is on "use". I specifically asked about having more pots in a boat than could be legally "used" and was told categorically that unless the pots etc are in "use" and the number of pots in "use" exceeded the number of people (in the boat) who are permitted to use them, then I would not be in breach of the fisheries regulations.

I too would be interested in knowing where your quote comes from Kerry - it is not in accordance with the regulations as maintained by the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel.

I have found on a few occasions that some non-government publications take some license when it comes to reprinting parts of the official regulations. They seem to want to put their own twist on things.

If there is a contradiction within the fisheries act / regulations then we all need to know about it and fisheries need to get it fixed - for their own sake as well as ours.

Kerry
14-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Quote comes from The Official Tide Tables & Boating Safety Guide 2003" or in other words the Tide book, the one with the Queensland Government crest on the front cover and published by Queensland Department of Transport.

Cheers, Kerry.

Big_Muddie
14-10-2003, 04:05 PM
Thanks Kerry.

I suspected it came from a source which had not faithfully reproduced the wording from the official regulations.

The last paragraph on page 1 of the book acknowledges that "..... are only a summary of the Act and Regulations....", and "....they are not a precise statement of the laws....".

In this case, although misleading, they are unlikely to result in anyone breaching regulations unwittingly.

Other instances in the past (which I cannot bring to mind immediately) could have had the opposite effect ie. cause someone to unwittingly breach a regulation.

At the end of the day, the only words that matter are those in the Act and accompanying regulations.

Both the Act and the Regulations are available at http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/Legislation.htm

clutter
14-10-2003, 04:14 PM
I certainly hope they don't mean "posession" of crab pots in the same way as they do for "posession" of fish bag limits. If that is the case, while I might have 4 in use, I am actually in possession of 20 or more of them counting the ones at home.

Clutter

clutter
14-10-2003, 04:18 PM
Oh, forgot, It's only an add so I'm not real worried about it, not everything we see in print is real. I've even seen tv comercials where I don't think the blokes in the police uniforms weren't even police.

Cheers, Clutter.

Big_Muddie
14-10-2003, 04:20 PM
Clutter,

The word "possession" in respect of crab pots, dillies, traps etc doesn't appear in the Act or Regulations. I, like you, have more than 20 pots and dillies. Provided you don't personally use more than 4 (in any combination) at one time you are OK.

clutter
14-10-2003, 04:52 PM
That's the way I've always looked at it and I'm not going to change now.

Clutter

Heath
14-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Ferralflyer,

I think you are reading into it more than you should. This is an evergrowing problem with society.

That & along with Teletubbies that carry a handbag & a big brown bear that don't wear any pants ::) ::) ::) ::)

clutter
15-10-2003, 07:59 PM
Heath,

Don't forget the buiscuits that we once called "Golliwogs" but are now called "Scallywags".

Clutter

Fisheasy
16-10-2003, 05:38 AM
They're still golliwogs to me!

CHRIS_aka_GWH
16-10-2003, 10:05 AM
perhaps he had just launched & was returning to the jetty to pick up his 4 mates

perhaps he is a professional crab pot engineer who lives on Coochiemudlo Is taking his latest batch to the Cleveland markets to sell

perhaps he races the extremely rare sea-going pigeon & they are cages not pots

perhaps my mind wanders when it encounters a trivial post. Yamaha is a large company - no doubt that ad (probably made interstate or in the US) appears in many countries. If you would be willing to pay more for a Yamaha motor I'm sure Yamaha would increase their office staff to accomodate a research department & advertising budget that would enable them to add waivers & disclaimers aimed at each market they target.

We are (should be) big boys who know (should know) the law as it applies in our area. People need to take responsibility for their own actions not blame the impressions given to them inadvertently by advertisments.

seeyainthesurf,
chris

& they'll always be Golliwogs & its always best to trim the 'fro off first.

clutter
16-10-2003, 01:29 PM
Gee Chris, that was deep. I also totally agree with everything you said. They will always be golliwogs and the "fro" always goes first. Eating bisciuts has always been a science eg. squish the cream out of the monte carlo's first, lick the excess off etc.

Clutter