PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane River Wharf fishing to stop

Fisheasy
16-10-2003, 02:42 AM
A friend of mine was doing the usual plastic thing around the wharves yesterday on the Brissy River chasing bream and squire and was pulled up by the police.
He was told to move along and that fishing will be banned in the wharf areas due to the terrorism risks involved. I don't know when this actually came into effect but it looks as though they are policing it.

jaybee
16-10-2003, 05:17 AM
So which wharf was this then fisheasy?? are the cops scared of people fishing being a terrorist or are they worried about people fishing getting hurt. After all as fisherpersons we all know there is a certain element of risk wherever and whenever we go fishing.Gee we wont be able to go anywhere soon.
cheers

Fisheasy
16-10-2003, 05:34 AM
It sounds as though it's going to be all wharves from what the coppers told my friend. Nothing to do with us hurting ourselves :)

CHRIS_aka_GWH
16-10-2003, 10:25 AM
i would think the pylons of the Gateway Bridge would be of greater concern at peak hour on a friday afternoon

chris

imnotoriginal
16-10-2003, 02:44 PM
say it isn't so!!!!!! :o :o That would be a serious blow against brisbane fishermen. It's hard enough to find a land-based spot as it is, let alone closing down one of the easiest sites to fish from. They can tell me to move on, i'll be back 10 minutes later!
Joel

aquarius
16-10-2003, 06:17 PM
A guy at my work told me the same thing happened to him last week......he was fishing around the wharf where the grain silo,s are at fishermans island........The police told him fishing around the wharf is off limits from now on.
Gee these terrorists have alot to answer for!!!!!!!....Even below the Wivenhoe Dam wall has been closed to fishing now.
Cheers Brent :(

The_Walrus
16-10-2003, 10:55 PM
I don't see the point.
If people are bent on planting explosives on sites along the river, I would think it would be relatively easy as these areas cannot be monitored all the time.

Luc

bigbrian47
17-10-2003, 02:24 AM
a mate been fishing around the wharves for years been hunted twice recently the last time quite firmly its like hunting getting harder cheers brian :-/

Fisheasy
17-10-2003, 05:50 AM
Phoned the water police this morning. They have said not to fish underneath the wharves as it causes damage to the coatings on some of the pylons where boats bump into them (apparently!!).
Anyway, it looks as though legislation is being put into place by the harbour master for possible exclusion zones which by the sounds of it will be going through.
At the moment - if you fish under any of the wharves - you will be moved on. They did however say you could fish on the outer edges of them.
So, it looks as though the sunken wall and rocky retaining walls will be the go from now on :)

The_Walrus
17-10-2003, 02:05 PM
The more of us who fish those areas the better the chances of spotting funny goings on !!!!

All we need is an appropriate phone number to report suspicious activities.

Preferably a number that's not an answering service !!!

Luc