18-10-2003, 11:02 PM
8) cheers and thanks again friends

fishing_tails
18-10-2003, 11:16 PM
also votes will be revealed 2morrow afternoon cheers>>>>>>>thanks

Big_Kev
19-10-2003, 01:41 AM
Cold beer.
Nothing worse than trying to drink it when it is hot.
cheers Kev.

Brett_Finger
19-10-2003, 02:53 AM
None.
hookin,Brett ;)

Gazza
19-10-2003, 03:58 AM
OP's [hr]

Over-Proof?
Other People's? (or your fish ,my beer ;) )

Hey ,BF.....none #??? ::) # # #;D ;D ;D
(gee that's a lot of 'experience' ,about 20kegs on ya tummie #;D ;D ;D )

p.s I ticked VB ,better value than yuppy-juice #:D

Kerry
19-10-2003, 05:22 AM
Beer? obviously a list drawn up by someone south of the dingo fence :-X

Cheers, Kerry.

DaneCross
19-10-2003, 06:03 AM
obviously a southerner... QLD's greatest hasn't been included... XXXX "Yup, We love it up here..." ;D

Lucky_Phill
19-10-2003, 08:04 AM
I'll have to pass on the vote.

If it ain't XXXX I won't drink it !

But, then again, if it's OP's ( other peoples ), that's another story. ;)

Bloody southerners :P ;D

Phill

PinHead
19-10-2003, 09:31 AM
"What's the best beer to have with fish"

Well..where is the list of beers to choose from..good grief..that stuff in the green cans..vomit brew..cannot possibly be called a beer.

Fisherman02
19-10-2003, 10:08 AM
not bothered any beer i can get me grubby little hands on ;D

Tally
19-10-2003, 10:29 AM
Hahn Ice for me. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Cheers,
Jay.

rickraider
19-10-2003, 03:42 PM
wheres xxxx after that my next choice my next would be boags

Graham_N_Roberts
19-10-2003, 05:28 PM
:D Come on fishing_tails ..... where's the fourex. Talk about a rigged ballot. Gotta be fourex, or a good wine or rum ... heck anything cold. ;D

Lachie1
20-10-2003, 10:52 AM
Well if it hasn't got XXXX written on it i wouldn't touch it ;) XXXX Gold is the best brew gettin round in my books, Cheers fellas

kellie
20-10-2003, 12:23 PM
It really depends on the weather, you cant disclude a "juppie beer" just because it is not what you are used to, try something different for a change!

SteveCan
20-10-2003, 02:53 PM
Beer is Good

However I abstain to vote because the obvious omission makes it impossible to have a meaningful outcome... ::) :P

Cheers
Steve

striker
20-10-2003, 03:01 PM
All of the above and then some 8)

Kerry
20-10-2003, 03:57 PM
also votes will be revealed 2morrow afternoon cheers>>>>>>>thanks

Yeah right, down to the last stubby and now find we're a 6 pack short [smiley=drunk.gif]

Cheers, Kerry.

bugman
21-10-2003, 04:24 AM
Fair dinkum fellas. I consider myself to be a bit of a connoisseur of beer - both off the shelf stuff and the amber I can make myself.

My trip around the world a few years ago was in part planned by which famous breweries were available for a tour.

Now given that there is a right beer for every particular environment - depending on availability and cost - it would depend on how the fish is cooked - Personally I like a crisp fresh clean beer to suit the light flavour flavour of fish. From the list provided Cascade premium would suit. It's the water component that makes the difference.

Now for the rest of you guys - I'm know true expert - although I do know some that are - there is a general consensus that XXXX bitter is one of the worst beers around. As an example of a bitter - it leaves a lot to be desired compared to it's English equivalents and the flavour is harsh and not well rounded.

As for XXXX Gold - it would have to go down as one of the worst examples of a Lager this earth has ever seen. A lager should be golden with full hop flavour but XXXX Gold lacks everything.

That's my personal opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Bugman (bring it on)

PinHead
21-10-2003, 04:59 AM
It is not our fault Bug that your taste buds have some serious problems.

Fisheasy
21-10-2003, 05:41 AM
Boags [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Dr_Dan
21-10-2003, 06:29 AM
I'm with you bugman. XXXX has to be one of the worst around. I know it is Queensland's beer, but guys, IT REALLY DOES TASTE LIKE S@#T!!! I know it isn't the worst out there (try the old blacksmiths or gulf lager!), but there really is a lot of better brews to buy.

As a queenslander, i'm a bit ashamed to admit, that my favourite to drink would have to be Tooheys new and Old. I know, a queenslander supporting NSW beer???

O well, i guess up in queensland we do everything better than NSW, we should let them take the claim to better beer. (we still top you with the fishing tho!!!!)

gruntahunter
21-10-2003, 01:58 PM
You are not a true queenslander dr dan and you should be ashamed of your self.Dont ever say that anything in NSW is better than Qld cause it bloody isnt mate.
I reckon you will probably secretly support the blues cricket team over the bulls and you probably think we should be allowed to keep jennies as THEY are.
::) ;D :P :-X :-*

SteveCan
21-10-2003, 02:09 PM
Bugman, Dr Dan,

Just cause I like to drink fourex doesn't mean I reckon it is the best tasting beer in the world. I only meant that it is the BEST beer in the world. Call it marketing, call it parochialism, find me a beer that you drink in QUEENSLAND and it is spelt XXXX.

God Bless the Queen too. ;)

Cheers
Steve.

gruntahunter
21-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Nows theres a true blue Queenslander (I mean Maroon)

Lachie1
21-10-2003, 02:24 PM
XXXX bitter isn't the best tastin bitter beer around i'll admit that but XXXX Gold, Traditional Lager or not is pretty bloody fine by me - I'll drink it till the cows come home it is the best. I will however drink the old T.E.Ds as they aren't bad but XXXX Gold all the way!

Quuenslander!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lachie

wizard
21-10-2003, 03:44 PM
You mean that there are other beers that aint XXXX interesting ::) ::)

aquarius
21-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Yep that XXXX Gold is a great drop alright!!!!!!!!
And if your driving the Hahn Premium Light tickles the taste buds......THERES NO REAL BAD BEER JUST A BAD DRINKER!!!!!!!!!
Cheers Brent ;D ;D

jaybee
21-10-2003, 05:11 PM
I'm with brett i'm born and bred qld and do not like the taste of xxxx, use to in my teens, but then fosters and vb come along, yep give me vb any day. but now i know what goes into xxxx to make it bitter don't help the taste buds either.
cheers

Daintreeboy
21-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Good as Gold mate............Good as Gold 8)

clutter
21-10-2003, 06:52 PM
How can you call XXXX a true Queensland beer when its owned by the Kiwi's and the Japanese. At least VB is owned by an Australian company and its not a bad drop either. My personal favourite is Carlton Midstrength.

Cheers, Clutter

PinHead
22-10-2003, 03:01 AM
Of course it is a true Qld beer..it is, as it always has been, brewed here. Who care who owns it.

bugman
22-10-2003, 03:45 AM
Gentlemen,

It's good to see many of you are admitting that XXXX tastes like crap. I can sympathise with the patriotism angle of having to support a Queenslander and all that stuff - I feel the same around state of origin and cricket season.

But I think you'll find the original question was about which beer should be drunk while enjoying a nice feed of fish. I'll admit the question was a bit vague in that we could be talking about whole deep fried Thai crispy fish or we could be talking about fish stew - which would call for two totally different beers. (A nice Czech pilsener for the former and possible a Newcastle Brown Ale for the latter ) But I digress.

The question called on a taste association so I think that ruining a lovely piece of fish with a mouthful of battery acid wouldn't be inappropriate.

Your comments, as always, are greatly appreciated and eagerly awaited.

Bugman

Gazza
22-10-2003, 09:51 AM
Cascade #and Corona aren't bad for 'minimal' bubbles before burp :D ,but they will still have to be OP's #;D

p.s. what did the Powers brewery eventually morph into making #??? ,employs Qld'ers anyway . so does XXXX 'barbed-wire' ,if ya think about it #:o

Gazza
22-10-2003, 01:55 PM
29 other ???

you pot/tea/coffee/coke/pepsi drinking ZOMBIES
should be ashamed of ya selves ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

clutter
22-10-2003, 04:34 PM
Gazza,

The old Powers Brewery is now owned by CUB and there is not much of the original brewery left now. Just as a note of interest, the brewery is in the infant stages of a major project which will see it double in size over the next 18 months to 2 years. It will be the second biggest brewery in Australia behind the Kent Brewery (also CUB).

Cheers, Clutter

SteveCan
22-10-2003, 04:41 PM
Also Clutter - reckon the 'other' vote might point to the missing brew... I wouldn't bank on too many Ausfishers passing on an amber of some description :P

If I am wrong I think I am going to be terribly dissapointed at the M&G... ::)

Cheers
Steve

ba229
23-10-2003, 02:31 AM
I vote for what ever is the cheapest full strength beer when i'm buying it. ;)

I used to be one eyed VB (Vitamin B) but then i realised i could save up to $5 a cartoon just be being less selective. [smiley=idea.gif]

So now it's VB, Carlton Cold or Tooheys New. Which ever one is cheapest. [smiley=greedy.gif]

One thing we could all most probably agree on though (besides budman because it sounds like he has a refined sense of taste) is the beer must be cold.

My father has his beer fridge so cold that sometimes when you crack a can the beer just starts to ice up.