PDA

View Full Version : Best fishing baits?

Heat
19-10-2003, 03:25 PM
I mainly buy frozen bait since i dont fish regular enough to have fresh/live bait. I used to buy prawns, squid, pilchards mainly. Sometimes they work fine, but i am finding that Banito produce far better results.

So my questions are where in Brisbane can u buy Banito? I know a shop at redcliffe, thats it. I bug mine at GC usually since i live more on southside.

Also, whats every1's favourite bait?

Lucky_Phill
19-10-2003, 04:25 PM
There are a couple of different varieties of Bonito. Some are not so readily available.

Maybe it is best if you buy your Bonito at the Morgans ( if that's where you get it ), fresh. Then take it home, fillet it & salt it, then freeze for when you need it.

Don't know too many shops / tackle shops, that stock Bonito.

You say you live on the southside !.

Maybe you r local tackle shop can get it in for you. Budd's usually can do this.

I have , in the past, left an order with a fresh seafood vendor, so that if he's at the co-op / market, and he see's Bonito, he can get it for me. But you have to build a rapour with the vendor first, or pay him upfront.

Judging by your post, I presume you don't have a boat. Therefore you rock, beach, jetty fish ! Some other baits worth a note in this area are worms, yabbies, soldier crabs, mullet fillet.

Also, have a shot at the lures. Always carry a slug of some description, for when the baits aren't workin.

Cheers Phill

jaybee
19-10-2003, 04:40 PM
phil has some good suggestions there, if you live on the southside, do you know where bobs seafoods parks the van, he will get anything you order fresh, also try capn blighs they usually have frozen bonito.
cheers

Heat
19-10-2003, 06:27 PM
Thx guys...Hmm is it necessary to fillet n salt it? I'll prolly skip that, too lazy :D

Hmm Morgan's, Budd's, Bobs seafood, Captn blighs, dunno where any of them r. Can i find them in yellow page?

As wif the other baits - worms i wont ever touch :P Yabbys r good, soldier crabs never tried them b4, dunno how to use them, mullet is good since i can just buy them :D As wif lures, I tried it a couple of times, those colored once wif a blib (spelling), but never caught anything. Think its still too advance for me atm!

jaybee
20-10-2003, 03:52 AM
try the white pages, as for bobs, he parks his van where the expressway goes over logan road just down from RACQ on the right heading inbound.
cheers

jewies
20-10-2003, 03:45 PM
When i fish i find that the best bait for bream:squid strips
flathead:whole squid
whiting:blood worms

Fisheasy
21-10-2003, 05:45 AM
Hey Jewies,
Have you fished with worms dipped in metho?
Went out Saturday night with an assortment of live bloodworms and worms that had been dipped in metho and delegated to the freezer for 2 weeks.
The metho worms accounted for 90% of our whiting - they loved them! :)

PinHead
21-10-2003, 01:12 PM
whiting - worms
bream..fowl guts

jaybee
21-10-2003, 01:23 PM
Pinhead
fowl guts damn i've been called that when i pass wind eh,
cheers

gruntahunter
21-10-2003, 01:36 PM
I,m am fast learning that a LIVE worm will attract every fish and out fish most baits at the right time.

Hutcho
23-10-2003, 07:55 AM
G'day Fisheasy and all,
your note on dipping your worms in metho - were they all bloodworms you dipped? I've never tried it before, but i'm interested, there have been a few occassions where i've tried to keep them alive - and they just end up dying and causing one big stink the next day. Do they have to stay in the freezer for at least 2 weeks? Do you have to thaw them out fully before fishing with 'em? ???
In the eustaries, i find a big live fat bloodworm will get eaten by anything that sees it :P, and the humble 'ol yabbie is good too, but if you miss the bite, you miss the fish normally - they are fragile buggers. Squid strips are good also, and skinned fresh mulet fillets work well too.

Wayne
23-10-2003, 10:11 AM
I regularly keep bloodworms alive for up to 7-10 days ( especially for Fraser trips) simply by placing them in an SS tray (similar to an oil drip tray that you put under the car in the garage) and just cover the backs of the worms with salt water. Keep in cool place and change water twice daily. Keep pieces in a separate tray and use first. Any dead ones or leftovers soak in Metho and freeze.
Works for me... scares the whitting
Cheers
Wayne

Hutcho
23-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Cheers for your advice Wayne. Keeping the little buggers alive is a bit of maintenance, but i think the effort is well worth it for the results they produce. I'm off to the shops this arvo to pick up a bottle of metho! :D

corza85
23-10-2003, 10:42 AM
i like to use live mullet whenever i can get them but i also recon u can never go wrong with a live hardy head or a live winter whiting and even a few live herrings have never gone astray.... they have all caught me some decent flathead and bream in the past and i also caught my first and only jewfish out at the pin on a live whiting.

cheers..................corza