PDA

View Full Version : Grey Nurse Shark Protection may Bite Anglers

jaybee
17-10-2003, 01:34 AM
Sunfish Media Relaease
15/10/2003
Mr David Bateman AM, Executive Officer SUNFISH Qld today congratulated the Government on releasing a discussion paper and RIS on the management of Grey Nurse Sharks in Queensland.

SUNFISH has been supportive of the research program into the recovery of these Internationally listed “endangered species”. We have already developed a “Code of Conduct” in conjunction with other users, to minimize any potential effect we may have he said. The proposals however include a total exclusion zone around some of the most popular fishing locations such as Flat Rock, Henderson’s Rock and Wolf Rock. These will extend for a minimum of up to 1.2 kilometers and seriously affect inshore access to prime fishing grounds.

SUNFISH do not agree totally with all the findings or many of the unqualified “scientific statements” being made but this is the opportunity to allow the 40,000 offshore, game, sport and charter fishers who are going to be affected by any decisions to express their opinion Mr Bateman said.

When decisions are being made it is hoped that the Government will consider the social consequences and the well being of the GNS first and economic gains for specific groups second. Some of the options proposed still allow access at the designated sites by commercial dive operators and this is not acceptable if true protection and recovery of these species is to be achieved he said.

With the draft changes to the Marine park zonings and the Nature Conservation Regulations not yet defined, our members would hope that any restrictions through Fisheries Legislation would occur at the same time so that recreational fishers are not discriminated against unfairly well before other users.

SUNFISH will be proposing a “phase in” period including our Code of Conduct, with a 12 month review of interim arrangements before irreversible closures are legislated Mr Bateman said.

All anglers are encouraged to reply to the proposal, write to the Minister or the Premier and discuss their point of view with their local State Member.

Contact Point – David Bateman AM, Executive Officer, SUNFISH Qld 07 38804261

Fishing in the vicinity of Grey Nurse Shark aggregation sites

Code of Conduct for recreational fishers

This code of conduct applies to the 6 Grey Nurse Aggregation Sites listed below;

Wolf Rock (Double Island Point)

Henderson (Moreton Island)

Cherubs (Moreton Island)

China Wall (Moreton Island)
Hutchinson’s (Moreton Is)

Flat Rock (North Stradbroke Island)

At Grey Nurse Shark aggregation sites, fishers will abide by the following conditions:

· No bottom-fishing with bait, or spearfishing, within 200 m of an aggregation site

· No use of stainless steel hooks or wire trace while bottom-fishing from 200 m to 1 km of an aggregation site

· Trolling and drifting using bait, lure or artificial fly to catch pelagic species is permitted

· Fishers will report all sightings and interactions with Grey Nurse Sharks to the Environmental Protection Authority

· Fishers will actively cooperate to relevant ongoing research into the status of Grey Nurse Sharks

jimbamb
17-10-2003, 07:14 AM
Hey,
If we cant fish why is it that divers can access these areas?Do they have a louder voice than fishermen???Smells fishy to me.

The_Walrus
17-10-2003, 02:10 PM
One out, all out.

If those agragation areas are so in need of protection it's the only way.

Now all they have to do is ban polution, chemicals etc from those areas.

Maybe a few buoys with "Pollution and chemicals pleae keep out" #[smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif]

spdfg
23-10-2003, 10:52 AM
Hey,
# # # #If we cant fish why is it that divers can access these areas?Do they have a louder voice than fishermen???Smells fishy to me.

I would have thought it was because divers don't kill Grey Nurse Sharks and arent a threat to their survival. Sounds pretty simple to me ???

Gazza
23-10-2003, 11:47 AM
spdfg ,welcome to Ausfish.

Recfishos don't use 'repellants' either ,so who stops who from breeding in 'recognised' GNS areas.

who drills holes in GNS fins ? , besides a non-RecFisho?

6pm~6am downtime, is a small start for 'the ones annoying' GNS in their habitat ;) ,a goodtime to navelgaze ;)

spdfg
23-10-2003, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

Wow. What a bizarrely long bow to draw. I suppose you didn’t know that it is illegal to use a shark pod at a GNS aggregation site? As for the second gem. I will put a vote in for scientists tagging sharks.

What was you point exactly? Or were you purely grasping at straws?

mackmauler
23-10-2003, 02:32 PM
The RIS is due by nov 17, have your say and make a stand before the boffins take more of our good country >:(

jaybee
23-10-2003, 02:50 PM
webby has just posted some more info
cheers

Gazza
23-10-2003, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

Wow. #What a bizarrely long bow to draw. #I suppose you didn’t know that it is illegal to use a shark pod at a GNS aggregation site? #As for the second gem. #I will put a vote in for scientists tagging sharks.

What was you point exactly? #Or were you purely grasping at straws?

How do you 'tag' a shark ??? , attempt to catch it on understrength line , and then leave a hook in it's mouth to blame others ???

Or how would you suggest to actually 'tag' a shark ,so it comes back to what is deemed to be a 'shark habitat' ,to be counted or flash-photo'd :o or maybe breed ???

jaybee
23-10-2003, 03:44 PM
gazza
How do you 'tag' a shark isnt this usually done by divers ??? but then isnt this all about stopping divers and fishers ??? i could be wrong
cheers
joe

Gazza
23-10-2003, 03:56 PM
JB ,to leave hooks in mouths ,and drill fins for DNA 'identification' was a marine biologist.

Access restrictions will be welcomed by the AAM ,
tagging proves what ??? , as there will never be an 'accurate' count ever ,same as GNS locations ,it will be deemed to 'never' improve.
Think about it ,less space to fish or dive ,because we give 'scientists' power to waffle-on ,without proof

Regards
Gazza