PDA

View Full Version : Fed Oppn seeks reef rezoning briefing

jaybee
23-10-2003, 02:30 PM
ABC News
Posted: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 8:45 AEST
The Federal Opposition environment spokesman says he will be calling on the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority to brief him on the new zonings for the marine park before the plan goes before Parliament.

Kelvin Thomson says he is confident the authority will take the concerns of all stakeholders into account in its reassessment of the draft zoning plan.

He says while he is concerned about the impact of any fishing closures on the seafood industry, the rezoning must fulfil its principal goal.

"I think it's necessary to substantially increase the amount of the reef which enjoys full protection," he said.

"What we have now is not adequate, is not sustainable and we do need to move in the direction of sustainability, both in terms of protection of the biodiversity of the reef and also supporting what is a very substantial tourist industry."

Posted: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 9:26 AEST

Gazza
23-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Kelvin, what "substantial tourist" activity ,besides fishing ,are you supporting?

kelp-eating classes ,no doubt! :-X

BurdekinBob
24-10-2003, 03:45 AM
GBRMPA are still telling lies to us and the pollies. It has now become known that they have three different maps going around of the same areas.
They are showing one to rec anglers with huge amounts of yellow to appease them.
Another to the commercial sector which benefits them, and a third to the pollies to show them that they have done the right thing.
Talk about liars that will do anything to get their way!

NQCairns
24-10-2003, 08:10 AM
jaybee, you really are no good for my blood pressure, think i am getting another headache. nq

jaybee
24-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Sorry NQ but thought you northerners might be interested in this.
cheers
Joe