PDA

View Full Version : Reef value no surprise to Kemp

jaybee
24-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Posted: Thur, 23 Oct 2003 8:39 AEST
The Federal Environment Minister says he is not surprised by a study which says the Great Barrier Reef is worth about $56 billion as a natural wonder.

Dr David Kemp says the Government's rezoning of the Great Barrier Reef, which will raise green or no take zones from 5 to 30 per cent, is based on scientific evidence of the need to protect the reef's biodiversity.

He says the tourism and commercial fishing industries have made it exceedingly clear that they understand the value of the Great Barrier Reef.

"Obviously there are a whole range of stakeholders and we want to see the continuing health of the reef into the future," he said.

"The scientific studies that we have, which are the key underpinning studies for the representative areas program, show the huge value of the reef and those aspects of the reef to those stakeholders."

nonibbles
25-10-2003, 02:43 PM
Did he quote from or reference any of these scientific studies? I would really like to read some. Some of the biggest sore points about the rezoning is GBRMPA's lack of delivery of this scientific evidence that supports their claims.
My biggest sore point is that if GBRMPA want to be fair dink about treating all stakeholder's interests fairly then an independent assessor should be redefining the zones not GBRMPA otherwise a severe conflict of interest exists and the distrust will never go away.

Kerry
25-10-2003, 02:51 PM
GBRMPA is in fact being independently audited, something which GBRMPA think they should be doing themselves.

Now scientific studies are interesting, especially the ones that haven't been released, the ones that don't support the outcome that is being pushed.

Cheers, Kerry.

Gazza
25-10-2003, 03:51 PM
$56billion Mr.Kemp #???

i'll take 2 #Mr.Kemp ,and where do i send the postdated cheque tooo #???

p.s. Mr.Kemp , I've read that NOVICE/tourist #??? ??? may use weight belts that aren't correctly balanced for ZERO bouyancy ,and may cause the NOVICE/tourist to trample coral ,or even possibly drown #??? ,in extreme circumstances #???

Kerry
25-10-2003, 04:03 PM
$56billion Mr.Kemp #???

.... and may cause the NOVICE/tourist to trample coral ,or even possibly drown #??? ,in extreme circumstances #???

Ah yes those billions appear to flow freely from the politicians but lets hope the diving industry don't keep loosing people at the rate they've been lately, it's not very good advertising. #

Cheers, Kerry.