PDA

View Full Version : Elusive Sand Worms

aglassman
25-10-2003, 10:55 AM
Hi everyone, a mate and I decided it was time we learned to catch sand worms. We went down to the Spit on the Gold Coast 3 times. The first time two weeks ago was about 2 p.m. plenty of worms and we managed to get a couple in about three hours. :-/

The next time a week ago we went down it was just about full high tide not quite so many worms around and we managed a few more worms. :P

A few days later we went again, 2 hours before low tide no worms anywhere, we saw about a dozen heads in three hours. ??? We were using a really good stinky bait but the worms were not surfacing, the ones that did were really skitish and shot down the hole real quick. :o

Can anyone tell me WHY [smiley=help.gif]

The only things I can think that were different to the other two days were: Barometer had dropped to about 1006 :slight WNW wind (blowing ofshore) : and around the bottom of the moon. So why wern't the worms sufacing ???

I would really appreciate any help about his world stopping problem, and any tips for catching these slippery little suckers would be greatly appreciated as well. :)

My mate and I met at a cardiac rehab clinic so you can imagine us trying to catch these worms in between spraying copius amounts of nitro under the tongue.

If anyone around Surfers is going going worming in the near future I would like tag along and learn how it is done by any expert before I shuffle of this mortal beach for the last time. [smiley=angel.gif]

Cheers and regards to everyone that has the answers to these burning questions. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

aglassman (pete) ;D

jaybee
25-10-2003, 12:33 PM
welcome aglassman
First off I would be using fresh bait, frames and a piece of pippie in the hand, some say put the hand bait in a bit of stocking. To have caught some on your first attempt you have done well. My old man could catch them between his toes, lazy bugger wouldnt bend his back lol, i have never mastered it gave up, so has my brother but his son is a gun at it, no one taught him he just went down the beach one day and has never looked back. Hope you get some help.
cheers

bugman
25-10-2003, 01:08 PM
Mate,

Patches of worms will move - don't tell me how - but I've gone back to the same place the day after and found hardly any where there's been heaps the day before.

Having said that tide/sun and wind have a lot to do with just how active they are at popping their heads. Low tides dawn and dusk with little wind is the prime time. Usually on the first of the incoming after the low is the cracker.

Bugman

Kerry
25-10-2003, 03:07 PM
Worm apprenticeships, can be quite lengthy, some have it and some don't. As for baits and "stinks" there's somtimes things that simply should remain in the family but some of the "stinks" and methods used would really surprise some #;D

A north westerly [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] nothing likes any wind with a west in it, even worms.

Cheers, Kerry.

thargor
25-10-2003, 03:59 PM
Have a bit of info at

www.ozemail.com.au/~kaesehagen

Got to the link on beachworms. Its from experiences anyway and we are still learning.

Even a link to a video of some guy catching them.

Appologise in advance for the unfinished web site.

aglassman
25-10-2003, 06:18 PM
Hi it's aglassman again, thanks for the replys so far, it is always interesting to learn new things. the finger bait I was using was in a stocking it does make them hang around just a bit longer. As for dawn and dusk low tides they always fall 3-5 days after full and new moons.

I also managed to find a pair of worming pliers, not easy to find had to ring around everywhere the only place that had them was Amart.

I was also chasing a video called "the art of beach worming" , no tackle shops seemed to know about that one. Finally found copy in Brisbane city librarys, Guess who is now a member.

And thanks Thargor I had already seen that website and that is a great article on worming. Its like any kind of fishing it takes a while to figure out what you are doing. It is facinating, all my life iv'e walked along beaches all round Australia and I never gave the humble worm a second thought.

Thanks again and cheers

aglassman (Pete)

Kerry
25-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Worming pliers ??? practice makes perfect. When you've perfected it you'll then know how silly worming pliers really are.

Cheers, Kerry.

aglassman
26-10-2003, 04:34 AM
Hi Kerry, have to admit I agree about the pliers. After I used them for a while I had the distinct impression the fingers were better. You can't feel anything with the pliers.

Cheers aglassman (Pete) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CHRIS_aka_GWH
26-10-2003, 04:51 AM
I was under the impression worming pliers were designed to torture the liitle buggers to scare the rest into submission.

Try soaking your index finger in tuna oil as the hand bait. Once they bite it you'll know when to lift! :o

seeyainthe surf,
chris

Reefmaster
26-10-2003, 05:23 AM
Gday i have been worming since i was a kid .Found it hard when i was kid because of the lack of patients but my dad and older brothers could catch them so i kept trying. Once i mastered them i found it easy and even when i havent been worming for along time it comes straight back to me. I best thing to do is look down the beach and find the biggest sand bank that heads out into the water these banks seem to hold more worms. Windy days make them a little shy and a good berly supply is certainly a must. Would advise not to use worming pliers,better feeling with your fingers. Once you see a head pop up be quiet and sneaky,with a bit of bait or better a pippie in your left hand try to encourage him out alittle and place your right index finger and your thumb under the sand just a fraction. Close your fingers very slowly until you feel him sliding between them,the less sand between your fingers and the worm the better the chance. By now he should be starting to arch his head while feeding on your pippie if not the bait is to close to him and his hole , move the bait away a little until his head arches. when his head arches up thats when you strike at him . pull up immediately even if your dont no you have him because if you pause he gets a chance to pull back down or put the anchors on which normally results in a broken off head.hope you can understand what i have said its hard to explain but hope it helps you next time
Cheers Reefmaster

mackmauler
26-10-2003, 05:32 AM
ive said it before but wrap the finger bait in layer or 2 of stockings, worm teeth grip it like velcro ;)

Remo
26-10-2003, 06:30 PM
Rob,

How do they react when caught in the stocking.
I would of thought that they would panic and shot off. or does it give you a little bit more time.

Ray

CHRIS_aka_GWH
27-10-2003, 08:57 AM
ray,

its got nuthin' to do with catching the worms. Rob just likes the feeling of nylons against his skin & takes every opportunity to encourage others to feel likewise.

A fetish from his caberet days me thinks :-*

chris

mackmauler
27-10-2003, 10:39 AM
Ray, thats how i got taught to catch them and i went from catching none to a few straight away and teach others the same method with good success, i wouldnt call it caught in the stocking more so giving them something to hold onto with little chance of tearing the bait off, and when you pull em up a bit when they arch you get that bit more time to get the trigger finger under the head, even then its all in the squeeze ;) and yes chris its good fun, but you did spell it wrong so im off the hook ;D ;D

Rob

aglassman
27-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Hi again, #thanks for all the help and suggestions if it keeps going I'll be able to write a book on beachworming without catching to many.lol #[smiley=hammer.gif]

thanks reefmaster that's a pretty good description. #I think it's one of those things that just takes time an patience. # [smiley=snore.gif]

And I agree with the stocking around the bait it definately makes a difference and they do hang on that little bit longer. #[smiley=thumbsup.gif]. #Seeing someone catch a few I think would be the best, like they say a picture is worth a thousand words. #I will go down again next week armed with all this good advice and hopefully catch a few more than last time. #::)

Someone walked past me the second time I was trying to catch worms and told me you were only allowed to catch 30 a day. #I had a bit of a giggle about that as I thought the worms are pretty dam safe. [smiley=wut.gif]

cheers everyone Pete