PDA

View Full Version : where to catch sting rays

dexx
28-09-2003, 09:29 AM
probably sounds a little strange, but i looooove eating sting ray., probably even more than alot of fish out there...

anyone know where around brisbane, i can catch a good sized sting ray?

what what sorta bait to use?,

what sorta rig?

thanks

Heat
28-09-2003, 10:16 AM
Ewww how can u like eating that stuff, i tried that it was horrible! :P The Sandgate pier is good for it i think, altho i havent caught any this yr, i caught lots last yr around this time. I almost did tho the other nite, i was winding in to check my bait n i tot i hit a snag as it felt VERY heavy but it didnt bugde or move like the stayray does, then all of a sudden a BIG pull from the fish n a few secs later it got off the hook somehow.

I heard they eat all sorts of crap but i find i get many wif pilchards on gang haooks. Speaking of pilchards ur other post was very helpful cos i tend to find they melt easily too.

vertico
28-09-2003, 11:18 AM
hornibrook bridge at night run in tide with big baits like whole squid
have fun lifting them up

Heat
28-09-2003, 02:18 PM
Vertico, I tot abt fishing on that bridge b4, but i noticed there r no lights there at night. So how do u fish there? Bring a big lamp or something or blind folded :)

jaybee
28-09-2003, 02:27 PM
Dexx i take it you know how to prepare and cook stingray, top eating stuff, a lot o guys on this board need to be enlightened eh, although i don't fish for them i still keep a decent size ray. Sand pumping jetty during summer, if you are fishing for whiting, and the rays come on, either leave or fillet and skin eh hope this helps
cheers
joe

Local_Guy
28-09-2003, 07:53 PM
would i be right in saying... the way to cook stingray is to make little circles out of their flesh. like scullops (spelling).

throw them in the frypan for a short time and wallah.

jaybee
28-09-2003, 10:02 PM
u be wrong jason lol skin boil then slice into whiting fillets ect or like u said make little circles, gotta boil the flesh first to get the fat out eh, still top eating
cheers
jow

cmc
29-09-2003, 03:02 AM
Its a bit of a drive but Brunswick river, up stream in sting ray central...

I have had stingray in Singapore - chilli stingray - but the taste of the flesh was way to fishy for me...

David...

dexx
30-09-2003, 06:04 PM
hey all,
thanx for the help.

i looove eating sting ray..

get some banana leaf, pound some ginger, pound some garlic, pound some chilli. add salt to your liking. wrap it in the banana leaf and bbq.
wwoooaaaahhh that's good stuff....

how do i get to brunswick river? ??? ???

and i tried to look for hornibrook bridge on the map afew times but can't find it.

like what road or highway is it on, or near?

do i need to bring a light?

also, off the topic abit. where is good to fish at south pine river?, cos i live real near by. but gotta keep driving far out to fish cos i dunno where the hell to go!?!?!

???

Heat
08-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Come on ppl, I love to catch stingrays as well as shark, need more good locations :P

BORGY
09-10-2003, 03:13 AM
Brisbane River mouth in the shipping channel, just park up beside one of the beacons, I've caught them there as big as a dinner table. ::)

dexx
09-10-2003, 10:53 AM
huh? where?
is that near fisherman's island or near the airport area?

vertico
09-10-2003, 02:02 PM
hornibrook bridge is near redcliffe
take a bloody light if you want to see :)

smerl
09-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Mouth of boggy creek. Mullet fillets or pilchards. Keep the million catfish that you catch for crab bait ;D

striker
09-10-2003, 03:38 PM
Quite often pull a ray in Bay fishing,last one the mouth of the Logan.
Local guy I also heard the old circle trick,apparently you stamp them out with a pipe and hammer to form an immatation like scollop meat ??? no idea how to cook em. A couple more recipes might be worth a go [smiley=chef.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Craig

mackmauler
09-10-2003, 04:03 PM
hows this for a stinger, captured in 2 foot of water.

imnotoriginal
09-10-2003, 04:40 PM
nice.....

BORGY
09-10-2003, 05:59 PM
Dexx,
the spot I'm talking about is right in the brisbane river shipping channel off Fishermans Island, 2 to 3 beacons out from land. The channel drops off dramatically when you enter it. I don't target them, but ask my wife, I sure can catch them. Of course, make sure you move out fast when a ship comes in or go's out.

Heat
09-10-2003, 09:39 PM
My god Mackmualer ur 1 ugly bastard! HAhahaah j/k that photo blocked ur body complete apart from the feet :D

That hornibrook bridge at nite must be creepy wif no lights or ppl around? :( Prolly wif need to get a friend for company :P

Mudcrab
11-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Western side of Sandy island off Toondah Harbour in Cleveland. Big squid or mullet fillets on wire trace. Big mothers live there so make sure your anchor is set firmly!

dexx
15-10-2003, 09:19 AM
all sounds so damn good...

wish i had a boat :'(
or some kinda of crazy casting ability......

mackmauler
15-10-2003, 09:24 AM
dexx, get yourself a handspear or gun and wade around any sand banks on a rising tide, youll get plenty of stingrays, just watch the spikes ;D saw heaps up the mooloola river the other day from zeekes boat, just keep looking and youll be eating stingray ;D

Heat
19-10-2003, 03:21 PM
WOO HOO~! Caught 4 stingrays at that hornirock bridge this afternoon! Havent caught them in ages, mad fun. 1 was a shovenose, abt 5 feet i reckon, it snaped my line, but i managed to bring it beneth me a few times n had a good look.

Thx to vertigo for the location :D I caught them around the high tide at 2.30pm, so i guess u get them during the day as well as nite. But i reckon the main reason for success is the bait i used - Banito. Just found out today its an awesome bait.

dexx
19-10-2003, 05:53 PM
maannn... i'm so jealous :-[

what's banito?

Heat
19-10-2003, 06:28 PM
Just try the bridge. First time i tried it. Actually i been there b4 on the northern end, but this time i tried the southern end, less ppl n seem to have more fish?

jewies
20-10-2003, 03:40 PM
nudgee beach saw a couple washed up on the bank today and also saw 2 get caught

PAUL_SIMPSON
25-10-2003, 03:15 AM
iv'e never tried to catch rays but they seem to find me,i've caught some huge rays in the mouth of the brissie river

quail
26-10-2003, 03:17 PM
i like to eat toadfish if prepared right

mackmauler
26-10-2003, 03:22 PM
gday quail can you enlighten us how you prepare it right ;D

imnotoriginal
26-10-2003, 04:39 PM
the best way to prepare toadfish is to chuck it back in the river and eat your bait, your less likely to die that way :P
Joel

mackmauler
26-10-2003, 05:10 PM
always good to know joel ;) if me epirp fails and the choice is boat seats or toadfish id prefer that last meal to be fit for a king ;D

imnotoriginal
27-10-2003, 07:38 PM
I think the boat seats would taste better too. At least they are smooth..and they don't bite back
Joel