PDA

View Full Version : how far south can barra live

spike2
27-10-2003, 04:46 PM
l know barra are stocked as far south as gin gin and bli bli and that they occur naturally around bunderburg , will they survive in lakes around brisbane , would love to see some in the robina lake ;D

clutter
27-10-2003, 04:51 PM
I've heard that the bigger ones will survive in impoundments down here but the smaller ones have trouble surviving the winter. I think there are a few at Glassies Fishing World.

Clutter

corza85
27-10-2003, 04:51 PM
glassys fishing world over near mount tamborine has barra in his ponds....but every now and then there is one flooting on top but that could just be because they were stressed out from being caught so many times...

cheers...............corza

corza85
27-10-2003, 04:54 PM
here is the website for glassys fishing world if you want to have a look and maybe email him about the subject as he knows a fair bit about it.

http://www.glassysfishingworld.com.au/

bungie
27-10-2003, 05:05 PM
Hopefully they survive in Brisbane, I have three in my pool. With about three hundred Gudgeon and thirty odd red claw #:)

And one wife who thinks she is getting the pool back for summer

corza85
27-10-2003, 05:12 PM
i have always wanted to turn a pool into a pond for fish.... have u had any problems with doing this.... feedback from other members about this would be appreciated aswell...

cheers.................corza

bungie
27-10-2003, 05:59 PM
Trying to keep the pool clean without chlorine is very hard, especially since I have lots of trees droping leaves into it all the time.
I turn the pump off during winter, put Gudgeon in to stop the Mozzie's breeding, then once the water temp reached over 22c in went the Barra. Purely to get rid of the Gudgeons you see :) and the red claw ... well I just like the taste of em :)

I have a pond that works beautifully a true ecosystem plants, fish, all the right bugs, and the water is chrystal clean. The pool doesn't have the same benifits of plant life aerating the water and filtering it. So I use the pool pump to aerate it and run the filter when ever I can, but the sediment in the water means I have to be around back flushing the filter.

bungie
27-10-2003, 06:00 PM
And the red claw

Fitzy
27-10-2003, 07:04 PM
-In Grants Guide to Fishes, Ern states that he found Barra in Pummicstone Passage & that's part of Moreton Bay so they are local to Brissy.
-Some accounts of early settlers much farther south describe barra being caught while netting fish to sustain new colonies until crops/stock were available.
-Logan River trawler operator has caught them in his nets (by catch). 6 in one night I think was the best effort.

Anone who says they were never this far south has their heads burried firmly in the mud (sorry to offend if this means you, but the truth often hurts). Folks might be surprised to know that crocs were once common south of Brisbane too. 1901 a massive croc was killed in the Logan River after becoming a nuisance!

Some bright spark decided to draw a line on the map around Maryborough & said "no barra south of here". Wonder if they told the barra that?!
Seems there are some in positions of power who want "Barra Buck" to stay away from the south. Damn shame a great fish has become such hot political property.

BTW- Plenty of them living in farm dams in the Brissy Valley also. Only 20 minutes from my place! ;D

Fitzy..

spike2
28-10-2003, 01:16 AM
ok heres my next question if barra can survive and in fact are local to brisbane can l release my barra into the robina lake or if not the nerang river when they out grow their tank by then they will be around 15 pound would l be breaking fishery rules , would love to see the face of the locals when a barra boofs on robina lake ;D

peterbo3
28-10-2003, 05:37 AM
Spike,
If nobody sees you releasing them then did it really happen? ;D ;D ;D ;D

jaybee
28-10-2003, 12:39 PM
another question is, how they spose to breed? if you know they are there and word gets around, mmm
cheers

Fitzy
28-10-2003, 02:59 PM
ok heres my next question if barra can survive and in fact are local to brisbane can l release my barra into the robina lake or if not the nerang river when they out grow their #tank by then they will be around 15 pound #would l be breaking fishery rules , would love to see the face of the locals when a barra boofs on robina lake #;D
You cannot legally release them into any public waters south of the "barra border" at Maryborough. Farm dams are a grey area as they can be claimed to be an ornamental pond, then you're allowed to.
Translocating fish is a serious offence & can land you a hefty fine, if you're caught that is.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

rickraider
28-10-2003, 03:18 PM
do it spike

PG
28-10-2003, 05:44 PM
Barra can't breed in freshwater, they need the salt influence to breed so once they're in there they just eat, grow and if they're lucky get to practice breeding ! ;)