PDA

View Full Version : tagged fish

planetjase
28-10-2003, 04:15 PM
hi all
my questions are how many fish are tagged ? what types of fish ? what should you do if you catch one of them ? where are they tagged ? (on the fish and areas) and ok why are these fish tagged ?

thanks

jase

Fisherman02
28-10-2003, 04:57 PM
hey mate
the type of fish that are tagged varies greatly, you can tag a marlin down to a bloody grinner (god knows why!). Some of the more popular ones are marlin and bass, but as i said before just about any fish can be tagged. I haven't actually caught one but as far as I know there should be a phone number on the tag or at least a code and you need to phone the people up and tell em u caught one of the fish that they tagged, this is important as scientists base some of their research on how much a fish grows etc. They are usually tagged on the side of the fish or sometimes next to the dorsal fin more or less anywhere on the fish (within reason) I can't see why it would bother the fish apart from the initial piercing. The fish are tagged sometimes by clubs to better understand where the fish migrate etc. Scientists also tag fish for the same reason, growth rate, main food source etc. I hope I have helped enlighten ya mate let me know if there is anything u didn't understand
cheers jack

blaze
28-10-2003, 05:10 PM
Hi Jase
ANSA (australian National Sportfishing Association) has branchs in every state in Aust, they are probable the biggest tagging body in Aust. Suntag of Queensland is the most promanant of these I think. I am the state co-ordinator for tassie and we probable tag the least amount per year. Fish are tagged for research. We have just finished a tagging program with the Marintine College in Launceston with a guy called sacsha taylor tagging flatties over 2 years to see what the retention rate of taggs were and the survival of the fish. Queensland has some interesting data on barra's, WestAust doing some tagging with Jewie's,
Just of the top of the old brain, gummy shark, tagged south aust, retagged new zealand, then recaptured in vic over a few years,
Go to the ANSA web site and you will find links to all states and other interesting info
cheers
blaze

corza85
28-10-2003, 05:10 PM
i caught a taged grunter up at kurumba a fair few years back and it had a phone number to ring and then we took the fish into the research centre because it was only a couple of km away and they gave me a hat and an iron on badge for a shirt...

cheers.....................corza

Maxg
28-10-2003, 10:19 PM
Austag have put tags into 220,000 fishes so far and gotten 20,000 back. At an average 1kg thats a lot of tons of fish, like 220,000Kgs or 220 tons.
Max

zedjack33
29-10-2003, 04:29 AM
Hi Jase ;D
I’m not sure on the amount f fish tagged but I can help you out on the species in fresh water. These include, bass, yellowbelly, Murray River cod, tandans, spangles, banded grunter, lungfish, carp, mullet, eels, and silver perch just off the top of my head. Tags used include radio tracking tags, PIT tags and dart tags. The Radio Tracking tags are surgically inserted into the gut cavity and can be tracked using an antennae etc. The PIT tags either get inserted into the gut cavity or just near the dorsal fin depending on the size of the fish. If a PIT tag is used a dart tag will also be used to allow for easy identification by recreational anglers. The pit tags are used as a migratory and behavioural management tool to enable assessment of fish ladders, fish lock, rock ramps etc. This is done by the installation of antennas within these fish ladders etc and get read with its individual tag number, which then gets stored on a P.C. for data analysing at a later date. This not only helps with fish migration and spawning patterns but also with the success of the fish ladder helping to improve further designs in the future. As far as what to do with them once they have been caught, any DPI or DNR will be able to point you in the right direction, or just measure it and take its number, which should be on its dart tag. However as for the radio tagged fish it is best to just release these, as they may not have a dart tag with individual number. ;)

I hope this kinda helps,
Regards zedjack33. :) :) :)

planetjase
29-10-2003, 05:12 PM
thanks all ;)