PDA

View Full Version : jigging for livies

seamist
30-10-2003, 06:17 PM
hey all out there

I have problems jigging for livies in the deep blue sea. just wondering if there is any technics for doing them.
I have no trouble in esturies and that but always outside.
I normally go off the southport seaway and go to the grounds where they are but never any luck. :'( ???. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!

Jeremy
31-10-2003, 02:51 AM
There is a reliable bait ground South of the Seaway called the Scottish Prince. It is about 3 km South and in about 11m just inside some shark lines. You should also find schools of bait on the bottom off the Seaway in 18-20 m of water if you look around. Often you will see other boats including the big charter boats jigging for bait so that might give an indication of where some bait is. To jig the bait, tie a 2 oz snapper lead to the bottom of one of the 6-hook bait jigs you can buy in stores. Get one with size 6 hooks for average size yakkas and slimies. Lower it to the bottom or whatever depth the bait is holding at and slowly raise and lower it, keeping it on the bottom. If you are at the Prince at the bait is thin, you can try a little burley, but usually this is not necessary. The bait should jump on the hooks and normally you should have plenty of bait within 15 minutes.

Jeremy

Heath
31-10-2003, 06:32 AM
Plenty of bait at the Scottish Prince & 12 fathom reefs. On your sounder you will see the bait balls, most boats drift the area rather than anchor there to get livies. You could also try a bit of bait on your hook as well, to hurry things along a bit.