PDA

View Full Version : Hi Guys on my way to Mackay.

MickSA
26-10-2003, 02:34 PM
G'day Ausfish members, just a quick note to let you know we are leaving for Mackay on Friday, looking forward to finally fishing Queensland, in all my years of fishing i have never sampled what you have to offer and am looking forward to it very much, sure hope you turn on the weather for the wife and i and keep the wind away, this to us will be the trip of a lifetime.

Anything we should know, do we need a fishing licence?

Places to visit?

We are staying at Ball bay.. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Thanks for reading and any responses forthcoming. :)

Kerry
26-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Passports should be left at the dingo fence and collected on the way out #;D

Weather will certainly be something your not used to, hot humid and horrible on the good days then there's the not so good days #;D

Then there'll be the odd storm just to put a little sparkle into things.

Wind, well there's been plenty of that and all from the wrong direction. This time of year with the northerlies the day generally starts fine, by 11am 20 knots and by 2 or 3pm if it's not gusting 35 knots then it's time to oil the anemometer :o but just checked and it did in fact get to 36 knots @ 3.34pm this afternoon, last night it only got to 44 knots :D.

Past about 15 mile offshore it'll be at flat as a pancake but inshore it'll stand up and beat the living crap out of ya.

Fishing licences #[smiley=huh2.gif] nah were not that backward up this way, not yet anyway #:-X

Cheers, Kerry.

MickSA
26-10-2003, 04:56 PM
G'day Kerry, Nice to hear from you again.. ;D

Bugga, sounds like the wind is not going to be favourable then huh :'(

Oh well never mind, we are booked on a charter on Monday the 3rd and looking forward to that, so hopefully we can get a few fish.. ::)

Yes and the humidity, forewarned about that one, just have to drink more homebrew.. ;D

We dont have REC fishing licences here either, just wasnt 100 percent sure.

Cheers Kerry.. 8)

Big_Kev
26-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Kerry forgot to add that access throught the dingo fence will cost a carton of beer.
And any fish caught will be a carton each.
Payable at mine or Kerrys place on the way back.
And don't try to cheat as we will be watching.
So we wish you the best of fishing in the waters up this way, and may you catch heaps of fish, cause christmas is coming up fast.
May you rod bend often. Kev.
PS take care when swimming for the stingers and the drop bears when camping.
But a secret unknown medicine for each can be bought from our non profit store for a case of red or white south aussie vino.
Jease if you fella's keep coming up from down south we will need to got to AA.

SteveCan
26-10-2003, 05:36 PM
Hi Mick, good to see you on the board. Will you be stopping in at the Gold Coast or Brissie on the way through? Have fun with the fishing mate - and hope the weather suits us both!

Cheers
Steve #:)

PG
26-10-2003, 05:59 PM
perhaps someone forgot to mention that if you intend fishing freshwater impoundments you'll need a Stocked Impoundment Permit (SIP) available from some stores and from DPI online

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/11417.html
This site should give you all the info you regarding size limits, gear and SIP's.
Hope you enjoy our neck of the woods as much as we do ;)

MickSA
26-10-2003, 06:48 PM
hahahahahahahahahaha @ Reel Hard, see what i can arrange.. ::) Thanks ;D

@ Steve can, Gday mate, only to change planes.. :-[

@ Paul, Thank you, i will have a look there and perhaps get an sip permit, i feel we may get to fish that sort of a location whilst there.

PinHead
27-10-2003, 01:18 AM
Welcome to Qld Mick...it was previously called The Garden of Eden...Paradise.
The beer is always cold..the women always look good (esp if you drink enough beer).
You are flying to Mackay..you will miss some of the best scenery you could hope to see by flying but time constraints probably necessitate your mode of travel.

Our standard form of currency is XXXX cartons however some of Andrew Garretts finest is also acceptable...or even Saltrams is okay.

Mick..make sure you duck up to Airlie beach and have a look and maybe go out to a few of the islands and also Eungella National park inland is a great spot to visit.

Enjoy your stay..relax and drink heaps.

Just be careful of the bloody Victorians..you cannot miss them..they look like pommie tourists.

Kerry
27-10-2003, 04:02 AM
.... Just be careful of the bloody Victorians..you cannot miss them..they look like pommie tourists.

::) Those bloody Victorians all should have gone home by now especially since the temperature picked up but it certainly does appear that more and more of them are staying longer and longer. Could be the beer ;D

Mick, this current run of NW weather has been around for a while so maybe you might strike something different come the 3rd, a lot can happen in a week.

Cheers, Kerry.

MickSA
27-10-2003, 06:10 AM
Hi Pinhead, Thanks for the welcome, to say we are looking forward to it is an understatement, i believe the charter we are going out on is the M.V Moruya, not quite sure where that is leaving from, but i believe it cruises the Whitsundays, yes we are doing a bit of a reconnaissance mission for a family driving holiday which we intended to take prior to not being able to find suitable accommodation along the way, we have a few dollars to spend and will inject quite a bit into the local economy. XXXX [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Kerry, we certainly hope so, but from phone calls and emails from our friend in ball bay, the winds are definitely prevalent, Oh and the viccies, well they are not my favorite flavour at the moment... :-X

Big_Kev
27-10-2003, 01:24 PM
Yeah mick the Moruya runs out of Airlie.
Just got back from up there and we had a blast.
You can get some good charters and reef trips depends on what you want to see.
The reef is the go if you haven't ever seen it before but the trip out is xxy for a family trip but will be worth it if you are coming from south oz.
Snorkling is the go and plenty is to be had on the inner island trips with some great fish and coral.
And VB is my flavour, but I am not sure as to Kerry's liking. A case of red will do just fine but.

krazyfisher
27-10-2003, 02:43 PM
mick
will you have access to a boat?

MickSA
27-10-2003, 05:12 PM
8) Reel hard, yeah got plenty of Vb mate and we live not far from a winery region here in South Aus, so either would not be a big issue ;D We are a little limited in that we wont have our own transport but was just speaking to my mate this pm and he said we wont be stuck for things to do, the only one thing i can think of is Fishing.. ;D

krazyfisher : Yes i believe we have access to a boat and it is a 4 metre aluuminium for memory.. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

PinHead
28-10-2003, 01:01 AM
OK Mick..We better help you out here...list of things to pack:

1. Hat (not a towelling tourist hat either)
2. Sunburn Cream
3. Shorts and T shirts (coming out of an SA winter you may overlook these important items.) Formal dress in NQ just means you have to put your shirt on.
4. Thongs ( Sandals and long socks really aren't in fashion these days)
5. Sunglasses (Try and have ones with dark lenses..this is to avoid backhanders from your missus as your eyes wander at the scenery..the missus cannot see where you are looking that way)
6. Lots of deodorant..you will sweat like a pig up there.

7. This is the most important..you must learn to speak NQ language..you must put "ey" after every sentence. Practice this Mick.."You having a good day mate ey" or..."Can we go fishing ey" You get the drift..you will really fit in then.

MickSA
28-10-2003, 05:54 AM
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ;D ;D ;D

No worries Pinhead ey?... ;)

Thanks for the tips ey? ;D 8)

krazyfisher
28-10-2003, 08:47 AM
mick there are are ton of fun to be had around seaforth and newry island

MickSA
28-10-2003, 03:11 PM
Excellent, Thanks Krazyfisher, as each hour passes, i look more and more forward.. ;)

Cheers mate, will be trying around there for sure, is it a sheltered area? :-/

krazyfisher
28-10-2003, 05:42 PM
mick there is 5 islands within 2 mile of the boat ramp and 4 creeks try up the creeks around the rock bars as the tide is coming in as well as the s/w point of newry island how long are you up for?

MickSA
29-10-2003, 06:28 AM
G'day again Krazyfisher, thanks heaps, you have gone far and beyond with your assistance and appreciate your advice very much as with all that have responded, we will be visiting between the 31st of October to the 6th of November, so i guess it could be described as a whirl wind visit, i believe we are going to get a Stocked inpoundment permit and fish the the peter faust dam? as well. I think thats the name?

beefaman
29-10-2003, 09:35 AM
Seaforth is great fishing [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] Queenies, grunter, barra...you name it....and heaps of islands all around it ;)

kc
29-10-2003, 12:54 PM
Hey Mick,

If it is still blowing northerlies (like it is again today) Repulse Bay is fantastic. Just had 8 guys up from Sydney on extended charter staying down at Conway Beach (check your map) and fishing The Inlet & Repulse bay for some nice barra, stacks of big fingermark and plenty of Salmon & assorted others!!. Repulse Bay is flat arse calm in northerlies up to 25 knots. If your in Airlie & want a run through on local options for estuaries give me an e-mail (kc@whitsunday.net.au) or 0414 785 462. Can't have you going home saying there are no bloody fish in NQ.

A good time of year but be aware the barra are all kiss & put back after Nov 1st. Dam fishes far and away the best on Full moon...late arvo till about 9pm trolling deep divers along the wall and far bank near wall. Plenty of fish to 120cm... Do need a permit.

Cheers mate

KC

MickSA
29-10-2003, 02:21 PM
Excellent Fellas, Thanks again, The friend we are staying with has internet access, so i will be logging on sometime after we arrive and will be going through this post for all the great ideas put forward, Stay cool guys [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] 8)

Gazza
29-10-2003, 03:13 PM
ey Mick ;D , Southern Winos ? visiting the "land that time lost an hour" ;D

Mate ,the fishing is crap up here ,but knowing your profile ,I reckon you could be good for 'ballast' by sticking in the middle near the FRIDGE ,and just swaying from side to side ;D

ey!
;D
Gazza

MickSA
29-10-2003, 04:28 PM
Gazza, you dont change no matter where i run into you ey? ;D

Consistant at least ey? ::) ;D ;D ;D

So you coming fishing with me?, god knows how long if ever you will get to where the big snapper reside (well i've heard) ;D ;)

PinHead
30-10-2003, 02:02 AM
Mick..I am in Brisbane..so as you fly over..don't forget to hang your head out the window and wave..and same over Bundy as some members live there..and the gold and sunny coasts..don't forget us now.

PG
30-10-2003, 06:53 PM
Don't forget a wave over Rocky...look for the wet spots, they're the brown muddy bits between the brown grassy bits :-/

MickSA
31-10-2003, 09:53 AM
Cheers Fellas, the hour is nigh.

Thanks again for all the excellent advice and personal messages... [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I will be waving, just make sure you wave back.. ;D

I gather the flight path from brissy to mackay is over the coast, buggered if i know... :-/ :)