PDA

View Full Version : Hinchinbrook developer optimistic about resort pla

jaybee
01-11-2003, 05:33 PM
The developer of Port Hinchinbrook says stage two of the project will complete what he believes is a jewel-in-the-crown of north Queensland's tropical tourism destinations.

Environment Australia will announce next week if it has decided to impose any conditions or additional reviews on the 150-hectare resort proposed for the second stage of the controversial Port Hinchinbrook development.

Developer Keith Williams says he believes the plans for stage two meet all environmental requirements and that he will be given the green light to begin construction next year.

"I believe that Port Hinchinbrook today is a project that all Australians can be proud of," Mr Williams said.

"We converted what was a dirty old mudhole into a magnificant marina and a magnificent residential precinct."

Posted: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 19:22 AEST

reelcrazy
01-11-2003, 07:36 PM
"We converted what was a dirty old mudhole into a magnificant marina and a magnificent residential precinct."

Perhaps he meant to say,

"We converted a pristine mangrove nursery into a pleasure boaters park and transplanted suburbia.

Every year we'll have to fog the foreshores with copious pesticides to control the mosquitos and sandflies, just to keep the punters happy."

Luke
01-11-2003, 07:52 PM
And here I was thinking stage one sent him broke??

Gazza
02-11-2003, 08:36 AM
Tell Mr.MUDHOLE ,that possibly tourism should be reduced to say 30% or even 5% , in the future ;)

To PROTECT the Reef ,of course >:(

Kerry
02-11-2003, 10:05 AM
"Developers" ::) isn't it funny how they alway see things differently. The affect that $ signs have with the different parties.

Cheers, Kerry.

sooty_mad
02-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Having been fortunate to partake of the joys of Hinchinbrook Island for well over 30 years, I feel that I can pass fair and reasonable comment.

Firstly there is no doubt that the development has had some impact on the environment - to say otherwise would be negligent. However many people fail to weigh this up against the damage caused in the past by recreational users of Hinchinbrook Channel, particularly those using the Fischers Creek boat ramp.

I have not used this ramp for several years but believe me back then the place was absolutely disgusting. To put it mildly it was an environmental nightmare. Rotting fish carcases and leftover bait, empty beer cartons, broken bottles and general rubbish littered the area. Not to mention the high chance of having your vehicle broken into and anything of value stolen.

All this coupled with the damage caused by the wake of vessels speeding up the many small tidal creeks to and from the ramp and the general condition of the ramp all contributed to the place being an envirommental disaster.

Compare this to the boat facilities at Port Hinchinbrook now. The new ramp is all weather, fully lit, with adequate sealed parking, public toilets and rubbish bins. As well, the channel is well marked and rock lined to protect the adjoining area from wash damage.

At least now with the facilities provided by the Port Hinchinbrook development, the ever increasing pressure put on Hinchinbrook Island and its environs by the recreational boater can be monitored and better managed.

To those complaining about the Port Hinchinbrook development, may I suggest that the next time you go to "the channel", don't use the Port Hinchinbrook facility - instead see how you much you enjoy your day putting your boat in and out at Meunga or Fischers Creek.

Kind regards... David

Gazza
02-11-2003, 12:01 PM
I have not used this ramp for several years but believe me back then the place was absolutely disgusting. To put it mildly it was an environmental nightmare. Rotting fish carcases and leftover bait, empty beer cartons, broken bottles and general rubbish littered the area. Not to mention the high chance of having your vehicle broken into and anything of value stolen.

-------------------------------------------------------
Yeah Mate ,i believe U ,so the "above" is now a thing of "the past"........fantastic,great...... ;D

Now ,instead of launching into a "mudhole" all these EXTRA bigboats ,won't cause (quote)
All this coupled with the damage caused by the wake of vessels speeding up the many small tidal creeks to and from the ramp and the general condition of the ramp all contributed to the place being an envirommental disaster. (unquote)

::) :D ::) ;D

Yeehaa-haa-haa ,bring on stages 3,4,5 #:-X

Or maybe,just maybe, the council could've just provided a better "ramp" and increased police presence and rubbish bins ;) ...... for those "other PLEB" ramps as well

sooty_mad
03-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Gazza

Your reply raises a couple of issues.

Firstly, your comments would indicate that perhaps you have never experienced the old and the new at the Cardwell end of Hinchinbrook. I am sure there are many other recreational fishers/boaters out there who will endorse my observations of the old and new ramp facilities. Believe me, it really is chalk and cheese.

Secondly, rural Shires such as Cardwell just do not have the money to provide boat ramps. History has shown that all small Shires rely solely on developers to either provide such a facility or to provide funds to upgrade an existing facility.

I am sure that the original ramp on the Esplanade was constructed by the Council but this ramp is only usable from at least a half tide and upwards. Even then with a stiff breeze from anyway but the west (which happens about one day a year) it is virtually impossible to get a boat of any size in and out of the water.

The other ramp at Meunga Creek was bult as part of an "Unemployment Scheme" and funded by the Federal Government back in 1984/85. This use of this ramp is also very restricted due to the shallow nature of the mouth of Meunga Creek.

If my local geography is correct, I would think that if the Shire Council (or anybody) were to be build a new ramp at the Cardwell end of Hinchinbrook (to provide all weather and all tide access), it would have to be constructed up a mangrove creek (out of the wind) and the mouth dredged for all tide access, just like Port Hinchinbrook.

Gazza, don't get me wrong, I am not condoning developments such as Port Hinchinbrook. I would love nothing better than to see the Channel like it was 30 years ago, when you spent a day on the water and never saw another boat.

Unfortunately, those days are long gone.

Kind regards... David

Gazza
04-11-2003, 02:38 AM
Hi David, ANY new ramp(s) will be good ramps ,no problem.

My point, initially, was that 'development for the sake of removing mudholes' is flawed, and a silly statement!, purely "to make money" is more accurate ,and honest. #;)

In time , watchout for the inevitable whinge ,of too many RecFishos "using the ramp" ,if not a paying customer. #:-X

My 2nd. point , is your own "observation".......
(quote)
to either provide such a facility or to provide funds to upgrade an existing facility.
(unquote)
Maybe some "upgrading" by the 'developer' should be done to the "bad ramps" ,BEFORE stage 2,3,4 goes ahead i.e. approval ???

Kind Regards
Gazza