PDA

View Full Version : Ciguatera Poisoning in large Cobia

agnes_jack
04-11-2003, 12:17 PM
I caught a big cobia the other day and was wondering if anybody kwows if cobes of this size carry cigatera poison or not. A few people have said no and others have said yes. Ive eaten cobes up to about 20 kg before with no problem, but this one is about 36 kg. Does anybody have any ideas on this? One mate of mine suggested that i feed a bit to my neighbors cat as they are very sensitive to ciguatera poison and would show the results very soon after eating the fish. Which i did here is a photo of the cat about five minutes after he ate it but im still not quite sure. What do you think?

mackmauler
04-11-2003, 12:39 PM
can we see a before and after photo ;D this sounds like a shoot first ask questions later case ;) cobia certainly can take on ciguatera and dont think your safe eating only small ones as a 10 kilo fish can be toxic, the cases ive heard about are all fish from the zone around fraser.

fishing_tails
04-11-2003, 01:51 PM
;D looks like me on a good day ha ha ha ha LOL ::)

rickraider
04-11-2003, 02:10 PM
id eat it the cat looks fine.

jeffo
04-11-2003, 04:11 PM
ahh my whole family got a laugh out of that cat ;D as for the question from what i can gather all large fish that feed heavily on smaller fish are open to being toxic. but like said before... the cat turned out fine, so dig in ;D

charleville
04-11-2003, 07:36 PM
A doctor friend of mine and his whole family (except the one who did not eat the fish) suffered a bad bout of ciguatera poisoning a couple of years ago from a cobia.

I don't know what size it was. It was caught around Brisbane somewhere. I don't remember the details except that they were very sick for a fair while.