PDA

View Full Version : Sky spy over reef

jaybee
01-11-2003, 03:18 AM
Townsville Bulletin News
By MALCOLM WEATHERUP 30 oct 03
SPACE-AGE policing of the Great Barrier Reef is just around the corner, with satellites being called into the enforcement effort, according to information received by the Townsville Bulletin.

Satellite detection means fishermen who chance their arm by breaking green zone fishing laws will have less likelihood of success if they appeal against hefty fines if they are caught.

Because "zone breakers" can often hear aircraft approaching or spot patrol craft moving towards them, they often have time to hastily disguise their activities.

In a bid to counter this, the Townsville Bulletin understands the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority is testing satellite photography using radar technology for surveillance of the reef region.

It is planned to be an eye-in-the-sky which will detect and provide photographic proof of misconduct -- from zone-defying fishermen to oil slicks discharged by vessels and the origin of land-sourced pollution.

It is believed the first results of satellite trials could be known before Christmas.

The latest advances in satellite imaging technology make it possible for science to give a convincing "don't argue" in many cases before the courts.

The Marine Park Authority would make no comment when asked if tests were already under way, but spokesman Bruce Kingston agreed satellite surveillance would be "a next logical step".

"But even if such a system is introduced, our best source of information for policing the zoning system will always be the legal fishermen angered by those commercial and recreational operators who endanger future stocks by ignoring restrictions in reef waters," he said.

jaybee
01-11-2003, 03:21 AM
I find this amazing, how GBRMPA can come up with this solution to stop Australians from fishing the reef, but they couldnt think of it to stop foreign vessels over all these years. mmm
cheers

nonibbles
01-11-2003, 04:31 AM
I bet they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between somebody actively fishing and somebody with unbaited rods in rod holders. Charter boats sometimes stop off to let their clients have swim in a reef lagoon etc on the way home.

agnes_jack
02-11-2003, 10:28 AM
Nonibbles Ihave been told by gbrmpa reps, that under the new rulings it will be illegal to be in or travel through a green zone, unless all fishing equipment is stowed away, and may extend to having no terminal tackle attached to rods even when stowed. Hopefully they will clarify what is 'STOWED' before the new zones are inforced.
regards agnes jack

Gazza
02-11-2003, 11:47 AM
It is planned to be an eye-in-the-sky which will detect and provide photographic proof of misconduct -- from zone-defying fishermen to oil slicks discharged by vessels and the origin of land-sourced pollution. #

It is believed the first results of satellite trials could be known before Christmas. #

-------------------------------------
Geez ,"is planned" ,"is believed"...... #::)

Hey Dumb Dumb Dumbos, you could NEVER afford "satellite" monitoring ,of your own Taj Mahal (i.e. office #:P)

The GBR #??? .....yeah right........video streaming #:o.....of course

Photo #:D :D for a prosecution!!!

Your dreaming/joking again #::)

STOP #>:( i.e. S-T-O-P #>:( #grasping at straws to pretend you can even R-E-M-O-T-E-L-Y monitor your own pissups ,as you can't #>:( , and further "GREEN" areas only dilute your OWN limitations

p.s. those "illegal boats" seem to be still here ,wiping out/sharkfinning OUR beloved GNS

:P :P :P :P
p.p.s. send photos #::)

Bros
02-11-2003, 04:40 PM
I believe it is a lot of crap being pushed by the GRMPA officials to frighten fishermen. GRMPA is totally under resorced to police the existing green zones so all the misinformation they can muster to add to the fear of being caught is fair game. You have to be pretty good to identify a boat from looking down on the top. the coastwatch planes have to come down very low to look for identification.
I know a trawler owner who regularly "fished the green" is the term used before the VMS system came in. He eventually sold his boat after repeated failures of this VMS system but he made a lot of money from the green areas. He knew the operation of the Fisheries Patrol when they were in port and when they were out and only trawled in bad weather when the fisheries patrol officers were in a cosy bed.
I think there will be a lot more of this information "leaked out".

NQCairns
02-11-2003, 05:17 PM
It is total crap, far far from an expert, but from my remote sensing uni subjects the resolution is simply not there to identify you or your craft in any way by commercial apart from a blot or blury couple of dots. It has to be aimed at commercial fisherman with trawl nets out even the identification of this would tax the technology somewhat I would guess, the US military could probably tell if a trawler was working for a court of law but a 25foot rec boat would probably be cleaned up as noise etc by the software used to view the pictures. Anyway fish the greens to your hearts content if you want at nite and on overcast days. Why are we still lumped in with the commercial guys [smiley=angryfire.gif].nq

Gazza
06-11-2003, 04:08 AM
GBRMPA , please swing satellite to "monitor" asylum seekers up the topend ,I suspect they may be "fishing illegally"

;D ;D ;D

nonibbles
06-11-2003, 06:25 AM
Maybe their just creating another pissweek scenario to justify hiking the fines and other GBRMPA revenue efforts. Its obvious they will have to raise the dollars to pay for the effort to credibly monitor these new zones. They don't even have the resources to effectively monitor (and act upon their findings) all the current illegal activities within the GBRMP from whatever perpetrator.

Gorilla_in_Manila
06-11-2003, 06:45 AM
When hearing of some of the measures taken to try and protect Australia's huge coastline and surrounding fishing zone by the various relatively small and under resourced government authorities, I am reminded of a seagull trying to protect a large fish washed up on the beach. ;D
The seagull postures and squawks and chases away the nearest other seagull it sees, then while its back is turned, three others run in from the other side and take all the good bits they want. Then it sees what's happening and runs back flapping and squawking to chase the others off and 4 others run in from the other side and help themselves. End of the day, all the other seagulls get a feed, the fish is gone, and the first one spent the whole time squawking and flapping but protected nothing and ate nothing itself. ???
I'm all for protecting Australia's fish resources, but I have to wonder what spending thousands on satellite photos is going to achieve. When the fish are taken, having a hand full of expensive photos and pointing a finger and saying "You did this!" isn't going to bring them back. Nor will it stop anything whist it is happening unless it is backed up with the resources to enforce the laws on the water. :-/
Cheers,
Jeff

Kerry
06-11-2003, 07:47 AM
Satellite imagery/technology is certainly available but it's probably akin to peeling peanuts with a sledge hammer. GBRMPA is obviously a little short of funds anyway and have a deadline for becoming self funding and just perhaps there might be some creative accounting in the medium term.

As for this new recently arrived lot of asylum seekers one might imagine there's some rather red faced authorities ducking media coverage at the moment after all the hoohaa of recent times.

As for VMS well that has been almost a complete snowball sell job that has let quite a few people down, badly.

There really is some nasty options that GBRMPA could come up with for green zones.

Cheers, Kerry.

jaybee
06-11-2003, 12:06 PM
As it says, its all planned ??? planning cost money so does satellites, however the question remains, if GBRMPA can put a case to government, then will government fund such a case ? will it be dollar for dollar ??? The satellites are already in place if you followed IRAQ invasion. Have a look on the net there is some interesting photos from the spy sats. They are in the sky just waiting for countries to contribute money, :-X There is elections on the horizon, so where is the government going to lean to secure votes, someone mentioned a fishing party, well it may not be such a silly idea, as long as they dont do a one nation act. mho, plus i am paranoind and a cynical bathtub anyway.
cheers
Joe.

Gorilla_in_Manila
06-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Still think the operative words from Jaybee's original post are "...if they are caught." Don't know how they expect to do that by taking a photo unless they have resources on the water also.
Maybe they plan to mail the photos out like speed camera fines with letter attached,
"Dear illegal Taiwanese fishing boat, we have taken this fancy picture of you being naughty. Please send cheque or money order for $3million made out to GBRMPA ....."
;D ;D ;D
Cheers,
Jeff
PS I heard a rumour they were thinking of using the collins class submarines to patrol the zone but decided against it because the fishermen could hear them coming also! ;D
(or have they fixed the noisy engines already???)