PDA

View Full Version : Sites being considered for fish attracting devices

jaybee
06-11-2003, 07:22 PM
ABC News
Posted: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:39 AEST
Five new fish attracting devices (FADs) are headed for waters off the New South Wales coast.

There are 10 of these recreational fishing tools already installed in coastal waters.

The director of NSW Fisheries, Steve Dunn, says it is yet to be decided where the FADs will go.

Mr Dunn says restrictions on recreational anglers ensure the new FADs will not negatively impact on fish stocks.

"We have some fairly tight controls, if fish catches need to be constrained we have the ability to close areas, limit fishing gear, generally to reduce bag limits," he said.

"So we're confident that we can keep a handle on this and I think you do need to recognise that by comparision with the total fish catch, the number of fish that's coming off these buoys is very, very small."

Last Update: Wednesday, November 5, 2003. 8:10am (AEDT)

jaybee
06-11-2003, 07:23 PM
What is Queensland doing in this respect ???

rickraider
07-11-2003, 03:37 PM
excuse me maybe i am a bit thick but what is a fads please explain ???

jaybee
07-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Fish attracting device rick, it can either be a bouy, or years ago some clubs use to just anchor a large piece of with a flag on it, it attracts bait, which attracts the pelagics like the dophin fish, hope this helps
cheers

rickraider
07-11-2003, 03:52 PM
ah a burley bin .always been my opinion that artifictial reefs were the go .car bodies and tyres