PDA

View Full Version : Freedivers strongly opposed to “shark closures”

jaybee
08-11-2003, 03:53 AM
Australian Underwater Federation MEDIA RELEASE - Thursday 24 November 2002
Sharks, line fishers and divers are often concentrated near large abundances of fish and this creates a challenge for managing conflicting interests while simultaneously protecting any threatened species. There is a current proposal by the Queensland Government to declare exclusive sanctuaries around “hotspot” islands and reefs in Queensland to provide additional protection for grey nurse sharks (GNS). This is irrational nonsense pushed by conservation lobbyists and SCUBA divers and ignores the real issue of accidental capture of sharks by commercial line fishers and the Queensland government. “It is hypocritical that the Queensland Governments own program of protective shark net meshing has more of an impact on this species than many other recreational activities and they are not suggesting phasing out or banning their activities” said Dr Smith, Chairman of the AUF.

The potential consequences of this proposal will severely impact current and future recreational fishing, freediving and spearfishing in Queensland. The proposals are flawed and the unprecedented exclusion of all fishers is not supported by scientists and is irrational and against the principles of equity and social justice. There is no evidence of impact by freedivers on sharks as we are selective and generally target pelagic species in these hotspots and comply with the Commonwealth Governments own criteria for ecologically sustainable fisheries. For example, most freedivers catch fish in shallow water less than 10-15m and most GNS rest in gutters in 20 to 25m of water – so there is no interaction. We do not dive in the same areas as GNS or harass them like SCUBA divers. Therefore, freedivers must be allowed to continue to catch fish in these areas (and this is the case with management of GNS in NSW waters).

The proposed closures at “Flatrock at South Stradbroke and Henderson and Smiths Rocks at Moreton Island offer clear water, strong currents, large pelagic fish and are without doubt the best spearfishing spots in Australia for pelagics such as wahoo and mackerel – a closure would be devastating for our activity” said Australian record holder and dive shop owner Brett Machin

The AUF is a group of skindivers that are very aware of the aquatic environment. We are in the water and in touch with changes to fish stocks. It is true that some divers killed sharks in the 1970’s for sport and movies but that was 30 years ago and times have changed. AUF divers have since been involved in ongoing scientific research to monitor the sharks status. “The current spearfisher is a well educated, selective sportsman who takes only what he needs and coexists with the marine environment – this method uses no bait, no bycatch, no habitat damage and importantly no impact on protected species” said Dr Adam Smith, Chairman of the AUF.

We believe that banning commercial setlining in inshore waters of NSW and Queensland will reduce accidential hooking of GNS and is the best ‘win-win’ solution for fishers and divers. Shane Morrison the QLD AUF Commissioner said “Immediately stop commercial set line fishing in NSW and Queensland and you can guarantee the survival of the Grey Nurse Shark”.

The AUF have supported Marine Parks and Aquatic Reserves, but this current proposal for closure of numerous, important large areas on the basis that it will provide additional protection for one species is flawed, unjustified, ridiculous and contrary to social justice and Ecologically Sustainable fisheries principles. Public consultation closes on the 17th November 2003. A suggested response form can be found at www.spearfishing.com.au

Further information or interviews (or underwater photos on request):

Chairman (National): Dr Adam Smith 0418 726 584

Chairman (Qld): Shane Morrison 0413316583

Dive shop owner – Brett Machin 0418739890

www.spearfishing.com.au

Fisheasy
08-11-2003, 05:49 AM
Now's the time to send in response forms NOT agreeing with any of the proposals.
You'll have to attach a separate sheet of paper listing your reasons.
(some people have argued that they, or their friends have never seen or hooked a grey nurse shark, don't agree that fishing in these areas is detrimental to the sharks survival etc)
Is the reason why there are only "x" amount of sharks on these reefs being that there is only enough food to support that number?
Divers have mentioned that all the sharks are larger sharks ie no small sharks so these areas are probably not breeding grounds anyway.
Then they are looking at closing a reef area that hasn't had sharks on it for 2 years anyway???
If they start these closures in the Moreton Island region, it won't be long before they start closing reefs elsewhere where they congregate.

NQCairns
08-11-2003, 06:04 AM
I caught a small one when i was 6years old offshore bottom bouncing on the NSW south coast. Was a tasty fish from memory. Has anyone caught one this way in the last 10 years. nq

Kerry
09-11-2003, 02:22 AM
::) Why is that these characters think their activities, their boats, their anchors, their spearguns, their motors and themselves are inert when it comes to issues like this.

"against the principles of equity and social justice" really sounds more like "does as we say not as we do".

Cheers, Kerry.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
09-11-2003, 03:45 AM
Kerry,

with due respect to yourself, someone who usually gives very intelligent & thoughtful posts ...

The potential consequences of this proposal will severely impact current and future recreational fishing, freediving and spearfishing in Queensland. .... and the unprecedented exclusion of all fishers is not supported by scientists ..... There is no evidence of impact by freedivers on sharks as we are selective and generally target pelagic species in these hotspots and comply with the Commonwealth Governments own criteria for ecologically sustainable fisheries.

***READ THIS PARAGRAGH CAREFULLY ***
For example, most freedivers catch fish in shallow water less than 10-15m and most GNS rest in gutters in 20 to 25m of water – so there is no interaction. (** SHOULD CORRECTLY READ MINIMAL INTERACTION I THINK ***)We do not dive in the same areas as GNS or harass them like SCUBA divers. Therefore, freedivers must be allowed to continue to catch fish in these areas (and this is the case with management of GNS in NSW waters).

the best spearfishing spots in Australia for pelagics such as wahoo and mackerel – a closure would be devastating for our activity”

*** IN THIS PARAGRAGH THEY ADMIT THE DEVESTATING IMPACT OF PAST ACTIVITIES - BUT ADDRESS HOW THE ACTIVITY HAS CHANGED ***

It is true that some divers killed sharks in the 1970’s for sport and movies but that was 30 years ago and times have changed. AUF divers have since been involved in ongoing scientific research to monitor the sharks status. “The current spearfisher is a well educated, selective sportsman who takes only what he needs and coexists with the marine environment – this method uses no bait, no bycatch, no habitat damage and importantly no impact on protected species ....

I am primarily a line fisher these days, but have been an active spearo (never comp wise) in the past. I am still a member of the AUF & the world body CMAS through the sport of underwater hockey. The administration of spearfishing as a sport to minimise its impact is decades ahead of line fishing. Application of rules regarding diversity of catch, target size etc ahead of numbers & photo hunting, the list goes on.

The AUF seems to be adopting a diplomatic line & lending support, aligning itself with rec fishers (who in the past have been a major lobby group against them).

chris

CHRIS_aka_GWH
09-11-2003, 05:25 AM
ps

i have intimate knowledge, that there is a dive business (maybe two)on north straddie & mainland dive charters whose intention it is to "drop a pick on the sharks' head" to put scuba divers in shark alley to "swim with the sharks". They do this any where up to 3 times a day in peak season. A very big name in media dive circles recently used them for filming too, & was "impressed" with their ability to place them on the sharks, because the less swimming a diver does, the more down time they have with the sharks. Many of these bubble divers & the business concerns are part of the "green" movement to protect the shark by excluding fishing.

I know of no knowledgeable fisho (line or spear) who will intentionally anchor up in shark alley.

chris
i had to think about this post before writing it - the info is quite current, correct & if any wants to know the source I may do it in a private forum.

Kerry
09-11-2003, 03:27 PM
Chris, I beleive in many of the recent marine parks and sanctuary declarations divers (in general) have come out feeling sweaky clean (leaving the spear issue out of it) and generally one didn't hear many/any complaints when things were/go in their favor. While divers weren't being affected divers were very supportive of marine parks and santuaries (to say the least) and really weren't interested in any other groups.

However when things go against them, all of a sudden they want an alliance with the other groups, which sort of reeks of being a little hypocritical as when things suits their own requirements then they want to help the other groups.

What it comes down to is one out all out and this is where things go a little againt the (their) grain. Divers really haven't had the boot put on the other foot for a long time.

What could really annoy some is some of the 70's "legend" shark killers now fronting the major environmental groups bleating to close the reef, lock it up, green it entirely and that could also fit in the hypocritical category. As for some of these "do as we say not as we did" legends I'll leave some of their 70's antics back where they obviously want them left and forgotten but memories don't fade easily either.

Cheers, Kerry.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
10-11-2003, 02:28 AM
... some of the 70's "legend" shark killers now fronting the major environmental groups bleating to close the reef, lock it up, green it entirely and that could also fit in the #hypocritical category. As for some of these "do as we say not as we did" legends I'll leave some of their 70's antics back where they obviously want them left and forgotten but memories don't fade easily either.

kerry,

I think you know to whom I refer.

If I had 3 to 6 scuba centres dropping up to a dozen divers each 3 times a day, into my bedroom, I don't think I'd feel like breeding either.

And like the story of the Albatross a few years back they seem to think the population decline exists only in the breeding zone where the beasts can be counted.

The albatross was found (quite by accident - a scientist studying something else) to be being decimated by the activity of longliners at sea, thousands a day - their bodies never being found.

cheers,
chris

ScubaDiver
10-11-2003, 11:41 AM
...We do not dive in the same areas as GNS or harass them like SCUBA divers.

There is nothing better that a broadsweeping, uninformed generalisation to get your point across.

I will however be the first to admit that freedivers have far less less impact on GNS populations and the environment in general than SCUBA divers.

It is true that there are SCUBA divers who sometimes harass sharks, and dive stores that sometimes over populate GNS habitats to bring the dollars in. It is however considered VERY bad form by the diving community as a whole.

On the other hand it is also true that there are spearfishermen that do the wrong thing just like at Clovelly pool a little while ago where that guy speared, cleaned and gutted the Eastern Blue Grouper infront of hundreds of people. On the whole however freedivers and spearos are thoughtful condsiderate fishermen who are extremely selective of what they take and self regulate very well.

I would say the same is also true of your average rec fisherman and every group anywhere.

I believe it is the case that most GNS habitats are over dived and is an indirect cause of their decline. Whilst we do not have a direct cause in the demise of a shark like a fish hook has, our sometimes inexperienced fins killing the coral, our disturbing bubbles and our very visual presence must be having a detrimental impact.

As someone said earlier "I wouldn't feel like mating either if I had a dozen people in my bedroom."

On the subject of reef picks being dumped on the shark's heads or at least damaging the coral and the habitats of the fish the sharks feed on, why aren't these places buoyed?

Could it be a solution to forbid dropping anchor, place a number of buoys at each site and if they are all taken you have to go somewhere else?

Gazza
10-11-2003, 02:30 PM
There is nothing better that a broadsweeping, uninformed generalisation to get your point across.

I will however be the first to admit that freedivers have far less less impact on GNS populations and the environment in general than SCUBA divers.

It is true that there are SCUBA divers who sometimes harass sharks, and dive stores that sometimes over populate GNS habitats to bring the dollars in. It is however considered VERY bad form by the diving community as a whole.On the other hand it is also true that there are spearfishermen that do the wrong thing just like at Clovelly pool a little while ago where that guy speared, cleaned and gutted the Eastern Blue Grouper infront of hundreds of people. On the whole however freedivers and spearos are thoughtful condsiderate fishermen who are extremely selective of what they take and self regulate very well.

I would say the same is also true of your average rec fisherman and every group anywhere.

I believe it is the case that most GNS habitats are over dived and is an indirect cause of their decline. Whilst we do not have a direct cause in the demise of a shark like a fish hook has, our sometimes inexperienced fins killing the coral, our disturbing bubbles and our very visual presence must be having a detrimental impact.

As someone said earlier "I wouldn't feel like mating either if I had a dozen people in my bedroom."

On the subject of reef picks being dumped on the shark's heads or at least damaging the coral and the habitats of the fish the sharks feed on, why aren't these places buoyed?

Could it be a solution to forbid dropping anchor, place a number of buoys at each site and if they are all taken you have to go somewhere else?

SD , 110.6537% concur with Kerrys' post at 7.27 8/11 .....plain 'n simple

Mate ,'amatuers' are as DESTRUCTIVE as all 'frequent users' rolled into one , regardless of 'intention' ,but generally CAUSED by a tourist buck ,and generally o.k.
Get rid of the tourist spruikers on the GBRMPA bigmouth little forethought commitees ,as they have a conflict of interest ,AND UNDERSTSTANDABLE SO

bugman
11-11-2003, 05:17 AM
Just out of interest,

I'm not a very good free diver - 10 secs at 10 metres is my limit - how many free divers would be reaching the bottom of the wall at Gothem City. 31 metres - where I'm guessing most of the sharks would be moving around the undercut ledge.

I know they're going to take the fish which the sharks could feed on but surely in some of the areas proposed to be banned the free divers would get anywhere near the actual habitat of the skarks.

Bugman

ScubaDiver
11-11-2003, 07:02 AM
Actually freedivers would most likley take fish that are too large for the GNS to eat.

Gazza
11-11-2003, 03:17 PM
So we seem to 'agree' that SCUBA is a BIG problem (t.b.a.), and RecFishos need 'fishing-rig restrictions'

and free-divers are sharkbait ;D ,but benign regards GNS

Sounds rational to me,
Gazza

ScubaDiver
13-11-2003, 05:22 AM
I don't think SCUBA is a big problem nor do I think rec fishing is a big problem.

The big problem seems to lie in the accumulation of al the little problems.

i.e. SCUBA charters overcrowding sites and disturbing sharks in the water, rec fishers hooking sharks with stainless steel and taking the types of fish that the GNS would feed on.

What we need to remember is that whilst there may be a zone which neither of us will be able to participate in very much, it will be to the enormous benifit of that zone.

This will then have flow on effects to the surrounding areas, creating a much larger area to enjoy than we have now.