PDA

View Full Version : Pearl channel reefs ??

brad_au
11-11-2003, 04:29 PM
Does anyone no where the reefs are in the pearl channel in moreton bay or the gps marks of one would be great
cheers Brad :)

Jeremy
12-11-2003, 02:53 AM
To my knowledge, the Pearl channel is all sand. Aint no reef there. There are some channel markers.....What species are you chasing?

Jeremy

bugman
12-11-2003, 05:22 AM
There are actuall reefs in the Pearl channel.

I know some people that rave about the fishing there. I've tried a few places and seen a couple of good bottom structres appear on the sounder but its a place I need to explore more.

Brett

Jeremy
12-11-2003, 07:03 AM
Thanks Bugman - so much for my sand theory.

Jeremy

webby
12-11-2003, 03:46 PM
There are structures of coffee rock, thru the pearl and some above average parrot, tuskies call them what you like :-X, currents a big problem though.
regards

bugman
13-11-2003, 05:01 AM
Also seen and eaten some pearlies and big cod from those rocky areas.

Fishes best at night on the drift - but you'll have to go and have a look for yourself ;)

Bugman

drevil
13-11-2003, 09:45 AM
Are they at the top or bottom of Pearl?

Lachie1
13-11-2003, 10:48 AM
The good old Pearl Channel hey. Some bloody big fish have been pulled out of there over the years. ;) There is Coffee rock formations like Webby said but ya just gotta look around for them. There is also a ledge over near moreton that is coffee rock which has a few good fish on it. XOS Parrot been taken there like upwards of 6 or 7kg easily from memory. We have got good mackerel and whitting from there before too.

Cheers, Lachie

stilltryin
13-11-2003, 04:17 PM
The reef in pearl covers up in the tides with sand. Mostly uncovers when the rough weather arrives and stays exposed for variable periods after that.

The pro crabbers know where the reef (coffee rocks) are and target them after a blow. Good crab but also a lot of fish get in the pots as well. I've seen parrot, squire(snapper to be politically correct), sweetlip, coral trout, stripies, cobia,cod and many other species come off those reefs over the years.

I have found that the main exposure has been in winter.

As has been said you have to look for it, the bottom end of pearl has the best reef. No more secrets, spend some time and look.

brad_au
15-11-2003, 05:41 PM
thanks every one for your feed back will have to go up and have a look around cheers Brad