PDA

View Full Version : Is this site crashing?

Sean
15-11-2003, 02:49 PM
The last few weeks when i have typed a post or reply, I will type for a few minutes and look up and the screen looks frozen with no dialogue, then after about a minuite all my typing comes up.Also scrolling up and down on the screen is really jerky, it only happens on this site, is there something wrong or is it my computer? Also my subscription of Norton anti-virus has run out and I would like to update it does anyone know where to download a free one? I have heard there is a free one out there somewhere. Thanks, Sean

Nugget
15-11-2003, 03:34 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with this site - seems to work fine.
If you're after free virus software - go to
www.grisoft.com
And download AVG - They have a free version that works excellent.
I've tried most "free" virus software and it isn't worth the time it takes to download it.
AVG is different - it is "THE BEST" - bar none according to the PC geeks - out performs the most expensive if you want to buy the registered version but the free version is fine for home use.

Dave ><>

Hagar
15-11-2003, 03:36 PM
G'day Sean
I reckon the problem lies with your computer . Ausfish gives me no probs at all. Try the easy fixes first . Restart your computer if it has run for some days without being turned off - amazing what it fixes . Then run the defragment utility which is part of windows .
You could also see how much excess internet clutter you have e.g. cookies . Look in the tools menu /internet options.
There are some freebie virus programs but I don't use them . You have one of the best in Nortons and I guess it comes down to what level of protection you wanna pay for.
Chris

bungie
15-11-2003, 09:11 PM
just go here and download the file for your product

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html

imported_admin
15-11-2003, 09:11 PM
The server was experiencing some problems a couple of days ago after I installed a new firewall on the mail server. But it was rebooted and all going well again.

If your browser is jerky and keyboard response is slow I would do as Chris suggests and update your virus software and check your computer for trojans, etc.

Virus software can be downloaded, bought or updated from the following sites

http://www.mcafee.com
http://www.symantec.com

Also suggest you have a look at Lavasoft Adaware products
http://www.lavasoft.nu
Ad-aware Professional Edition is designed to provide continuous protection from known Datamining, aggressive advertising, Parasites, Scumware, Keyloggers, selected traditional Trojans, Dialers, Malware, Browser hijackers, and tracking components...

blaze
16-11-2003, 01:57 AM
Hi Steve
Really good to see you always take the time to try and help anyone that comes to this site and experinces problems, a real credit to you and all involved
congrats are in order
cheers
blaze

SteveCan
16-11-2003, 02:21 AM
I gotta give that adaware stuff a plug. I was amazed at how many organisations are 'listening' in to what you are surfing. Adaware gets rid of pop up's and lots of other crap that can take system resources- I also reccomend running 'spybot' ( http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22262,00.asp ) This will tell you who is leeching information from your computer and stop it.

My Pc felt a lot cleaner after running these two programs.

Cheers
Steve.

peewee
16-11-2003, 04:05 AM
yep Sean,
i'll agree wholeheartedly with Nugget.Go AVG anti-virus.I have used the professional(pay) version for couple of years now,as well as the free version,and have to say i would use no other.The free version,though perhaps missing a few customizations,and extra add ons (including the ability to network it),is none the less excellent,and i have to say by far the best anti-virus soft ware out there.I couldnt believe how much better my pc ran after changing from Nortons to AVG.In the past as soon as i used Nortons,my pc's performance was VERY noticably reduced,and mail was extremely slow to send and recieve.AVG is so well written that i believe you will notice any reduction in performance.More importantly,AVG is every bit as good as Nortons for virus detection and healing.I'm yet to see anything get past AVG,if it was kept up to date(which is free to do anyway)
I have to also agree that apart from AVG,the other essential piece of software i have is Ad-aware.I use the professional version on one pc,and free version on another.This company is also right up there,with constant updates to their data base.(Similarly Spybot is great.My best mate is one of the best computer techs in Brisbane,and we constantly reload our computers and are always trying new software,so we have used both..actually if you are like me and want to use AVG professional version,just for the heck of it,he is a dealer for it.For a small fee,u get a TWO year licence,and all and any support you require from AVG.)
Clean and virus free surfing buddy.

davo
16-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Telstra Bigpond has been having problem too. Are you with them?

Sean
17-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Thanks for all the help guys i downloaded the software you suggested Nugget and ran the anti virus over my computer, found 1 virus (only a small downloader apparently) but this typing prob. is still happening Thanks for all the help but.