PDA

View Full Version : M&G !!! 21 - 23 NOV at BP Dam !!!

craigie
30-09-2003, 01:16 PM
Hi Crew,

The last 'Meet and Greet' for the year has now been finalised.
It's set down for the 21st to the 23rd of November out at Bjelke-Petersen Dam (10 min drive from Murgon, 3 hr drive from Wynnum).

Some of us will be up there early on the Friday to set up camp and claim the prime real estste for this Ausfish Shindig.

At this stage 'Sav' and myself have worked a few things out (Tarps, tent posts, prime fishing dates ::)) but any help or suggestions would be welcome. Still trying to figure out how to get a B-B-Q up there :-/.

The camp site is located at Yallakool Tourist Park which sits on the northern end of the Dam (I think ???). Contact phone number for Yallakool is 41684746. Cabin Accom is available for those that are scared of the bugs but you may need to book early to secure one of these.

Remember Stock Impoundment Permits apply to this location and they are available on site.

Will post more information as it comes to hand.

It would be great to see a huge roll-up for this M&G, you won't be disappointed, the location is excellent and at times the fishings world class :o :o ::). Be carefull, if the fishing is as good as it has been (Oct to Jan) like previous years, you will become a convert to the fresh !!

Cheers
Craigie.

gruntahunter
30-09-2003, 01:39 PM
BP dam? Only electric outboards or is petrol ok?
Are the ramps alright for launching boats with 2 wheel drives?

Maybe my soft plastics might catch a fish up there. ::)

stevo
30-09-2003, 02:49 PM
It was OK for outboards last time i fished there. the cabins are quite good to stay in as well. so should be a great place to finnish the year off [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] :D

steve

Lucky_Phill
30-09-2003, 03:25 PM
I'll be there with family as a cabin thingie sounds good.

Now for some Skiing, swiming, fishing, drinking, that'll be one busy weekend.....might have to go up Friday to check the coldness of the beer ?

Have invited others, with families etc. As long as we can get away from the family and have a good chat ( read drink ) at night round a fire, maybe not a fire........just a fluro or sit by the light of Brett's beaming smile from donging a 10lb Yella ! ::) :P ;) ;D

Yes craig, we'll be there. Let's show some support for the last M & G of zero three. ( shoot that sorts ryhmes ), now don't get me started ??? ::) ;D

costs for the stay are as follows, well I won't post them, just the link. makes it easier for all.

www.murgon.qld.gov.au and follow the prompts to Bjelke-Petersen Dam. The accom prices are in a PFD file and only one page long.

And bugger me Peter,,,,,,,,pets ARE allowed !

Phill

peterbo3
30-09-2003, 04:08 PM
Yes, Eva & I plus the Afghan Hound will be there.

sav
30-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Did I see Skiing in your post Phil, I think we'll send you down to the timber at the end of the dam so you don't scare the fish.
Will be a great M&G location, even if it is fresh water. Bring those deep diver lures. I've seen 55cm + yellas pulled out of BP. Make sure you get Webby there, we need to set him right after the Cressy trip.
I think the camp fire will be out at this stage but with a bit of rain (here on Wednesday they tell me) who knows.
And Craigie - should have a small BBQ - as long as we are all patient should all be fed by midnight.
More later.
Regards
Sav

craigie
01-10-2003, 04:01 AM
No worries about the Ramps Grunter, Good cement ramps that suit your 2 wheel drive family saloon.

The water level in the dam has dropped quite a bit since my last visit (New year 2003) but I have not been told of any difficulties with launching and retrieving boats.

Cheers Craig

bugman
01-10-2003, 04:08 AM
So electrics and outboards are allowed ... what about jets ;D ;D ;D

I'm in and will see if the better half will grace me with her presence as well. I think we'll pitch a tent if there's just the two of us. (Given the drunken lout(s) will probably not be around the campfire this time.

Are there any rangers at BP Dam?????

Craigie I'll get onto Luc and grab some more of the vipers before the weekend. Should come in handy.

Everytime I take Leanne freshwater fishing with me she always catches the biggest fish. Maybe I should leave her at home.

Can't wait.

Bugman

michael_Brewer
01-10-2003, 08:09 AM
sorry but could someone please copy and paste the prices from the file, I can't seem to find them. And I have never been to an M&G, is all welcome or am I likely to feel outkast because I haven't met any of you in person. I'm, sixteen yrs old with a 3.7 m tinnie and happy to take others out. I would probably come up with my dad and step mum in our world war 2 jeep hehehehe for the camping and fishing side.
tight lines
michael

Lucky_Phill
01-10-2003, 11:58 AM
bugger, all cabins are booked out for that weekend.

big suggestion, BOOK NOW for your camp site.

I will post prices after 5pm today. and ph nos.

Phill

imported_admin
01-10-2003, 01:28 PM
Will not be able to get to this one.

Wedding Anniversary and Birthday on the 23rd.

Have fun.

craigie
01-10-2003, 01:59 PM
That's a shame Steve, I'm sure you would have had a wild time !! No "Rangers" this time around ::) ;)

What's going on Phill ??? Cabins are all booked out :o
It's not School holidays, there are no Bass Pro etc Fishing Comps, sounds like the "Grey Nomads" have found our slice of heaven.

I'll ring tomorrow to book some Camping space.

Cheers
Craig.

Lucky_Phill
01-10-2003, 02:07 PM
C:\eudora\attach\Yallakool Price List 2003.doc
YALLAKOOL TOURIST PARK
BJELKE-PETERSEN DAM
Managers - Allan and Elaine Walters
Ph 07 4168 4746/0427 101 357
Email: yallakooltp@burnett.net.au Web Site: www.murgon.qld.gov.au
FISHING, SAILING, SWIMMING, BOATING, SKIING
TENNIS COURTS, PICNIC FACILITIES AND SALT WATER POOL
Caravan and Camping Area
Powered Sites - per night – 2 persons $17.60 per night
- plus each additional person $4.40 per night
(children under 5 years – no charge)
Unpowered Sites - per night – 2 persons $13.20 per night
- plus each additional person $4.40 per night
(children under 5 years - no charge)
Ensuite Powered Sites
Ensuite Site – 2 persons $24.20 per night 1 night only
Ensuite Site – 2 persons > 1 night $20.90 per night > 1 night
Ensuite Site – 2 persons > 28 nights $17.60 per night > 28 nights
- plus each additional person $4.95 per night/person
Accommodation
ALL ACCOMMODATION HAS NO PILLOWS, BLANKETS OR LINEN PROVIDED
Self-contained Cabins (9 – with TV – sleep 5 – 1 d/bed + triple bunks
Low Season - per night – 2 persons $55.00 per night
- + each addnl person $5.50 per night
- per week $330.00 per week
High Season - per night - 2 persons $60.50 per night
- + each addnl person $5.50 per night
- per week $363.00 per week
3 Bedroom House - per night $60.50 per night
(sleeps 6) - per week $363.00 per week
2 Bedroom Cottage - per night $33.00 per night
(sleeps 4) - or per week $231.00 per week
2 B/rm Cottages 1&2 (sleep 4)
- per night - 2 persons $46.20 /2 person night
- + each addnl person $4.95 + extras/night
- per week $277.20 /2 person week + extras/night
Bunkhouses
18 rooms each containing two double bunks (sleeps 4)
Total
Adults - per night $10.45 person night
Children under 16 $6.05 person night
Special Rate for School Camps
- Supervising Teachers No charge
- Primary Students $4.95 person night
- High School Students $5.50 person night
A camp kitchen is available for persons using bunkhouses at no extra charge. This consists of 1 cooking area with stoves,
sinks and a fridge and dining room. (There are no cooking or eating utensils provided).
(Prices as from 1st February 2003)
PRICES SUBJECT TO CHANGE- ALL PRICES INCLUDE GST
Fishing Charters Available
By Professional Guide.
Full Range Of All Fishing Tackle
KIOSK WITH SIT DOWN OR TAKEAWAY MEALS
AND PARTY ICE
TENNIS COURT HIRE
Not staying in park
Daily $2.75 per hour
Nightly $5.50 per hour
If staying in park
- No Charge
HIRE BOATS
3 X 12' boats with 4 HP motors at Kiosk
(no boat licence required)
Phone: 07 41684811
PO BOX 40 MURGON QLD 4605
PETS WELCOME – BOOKINGS ESSENTIAL

Lucky_Phill
01-10-2003, 02:12 PM
To make this simplier, camp site is $13.20 for 2/ nite

powered camp site is $17.60 for 2/nite

powered site with ensuite is $24.20 for 2 / nite but if you stay more than one night it's $20.90 / nite

And basically it's about $5 per extra person / nite on your site. So it may pay to get together with others.

Finding out more info tomorrow.

Phill

Lucky_Phill
01-10-2003, 06:39 PM
So Craigie or Sav will post more info. No need for everyone to book campsites, the boys will let youz know what's doin.

I will be taking the big bbq for all cooking.

keep an eye here for those details.

Phill

Justme
02-10-2003, 11:19 AM
Sounds good to me
All things being equal my son & I will be there
Pretty handy to home too
Keep us posted as to the camping arrangements

Larry

craigie
02-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Hi Crew,

Have just been on the phone to Allan (Manager, Yallakool Tourist Park at Bjelke-Petersen Dam) , no problems with Camp sites for our M&G.

I mentioned that we could have 20 plus people rocking-up to camp from the Friday onwards and as well most may require to purchase 'Stock Impoundment Permits'. Allan's reply was, "That'll all be fine" !!!
Apart from Camp Sites being available, there is also plenty of vacancy's in the Bunk House, for those that require a bit more comfort. Not sure what the Bunk House is like, who knows it might be full of Sweedish Backpackers.
Brett, Are you sure you want to bring Leanne ???.

I'll keep you posted as Info comes to hand,

Craigie.

p.s. If you want to find out more about the Bunk House or make a booking, ring Yallakool on 41684746.

craigie
02-10-2003, 02:28 PM
To Michael_Brewer, Mate, your most welcome to come along. There are a few other young Fisho's like yourself that have come to previous M&G's and met all the crew and had a great time.
Bring the Folks and your Tinnie and prepare yourself for all the fishing tales buy us old fellas.

Regards
Craig.

sav
02-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Thanks Phil for opting to bring the big BBQ - I'll leave my baby one at home. Will you be getting there on the Friday.
Craigie and I will be there Friday morning (Craigie will probably get there Thursday afternoon to make sure he gets the first fish - although not sure how he will tow his boat there yet). We hope to set up a large tarp and all welcome to throw there swag under it. We can also pitch tents around the tarp.
If your desperate and don't want to cook, the shop there does a pretty good burger.
Should be a great weekend.
Regards
Sav

michael_Brewer
02-10-2003, 04:04 PM
Thanks craigie,
I will try my hardest to get there. I'll see if I can get my dad to take me. sounds like fun.
thanks again
Michael Brewer

Chris_J
03-10-2003, 04:09 AM
I'll hopefully be there...Let you know as it all draws closer...

Great dam and facilities, especially for those with young ones. There is plenty of other things to do besides fish.

WARNING!!! Leave any bank/credit cards at home. Motties tackle shop sells some pretty nice gear... ::) It sits just waiting for fisherman to walk by...then it grabs ya card and all of a sudden you have some new gear :o Trust me it happened to me once...or maybe twice ::) ;D

Cheers

Chris ;)

Lucky_Phill
03-10-2003, 01:01 PM
I have booked a ensuite powered site ( this is mainly....well ALL for the women and kids ) there will be a least two tents under the big tarp on this site, so there could be room for another one or two tents, if small.

So, if there are any wives / girlfriends ( or both ::) ) coming along. Get in touch with me closer to the date and see what arrangements can be made. This site, obviously, has an ensuite attached for personal use as opposed to shared facilities. ( you know how women are :o , present company accepted )

I have also booked a powered site, for those that want to utilize the electricity for re-charging batteries, microwaves, TV's, blow up bed thingies, etc etc. Will have a tarp set up at this site also.

These sites are close to where Ausfish ( Sav & Craigie ) will be setting up the group camp / tarp. That area should be near the boat ramp for ease of access. This is where the BBQ will be set up as well as sleeping quarters.

That's all for now.........'cause I'm off to Fraser for 3 days........ :P 8) :P

Phill

craigie
03-10-2003, 01:49 PM
That's the plan, to camp as close as possible to the Boat Ramp (the one located whithin the tourist park).
We will camp close to the road that leads down the hill to the Ramp. There are powered sites and non-powered sites in this particular area.

Even though we will be within site of the ramp, it's still a good idea to pull your boats out at night and park them beside our camp. Better to be safe than sorry (say no more ::))

Yes Chris, Motty's kiosk is full of fishing goodies. I like the fact that it's stocked with lures that work, no crap !! Hope you can make it mate. Have you still got that massive 200lb Min kota Bow Mount ;D ;D

Cheers
Craig.

Chris_J
03-10-2003, 02:07 PM
Still got the beast Craigie...will most likely have a different tub to hang it off...still working on that though... ;)

Seeya's there hopefully

Chris

sav
07-10-2003, 06:20 PM
Chris J when will you be up there. Craigie and I will be there Friday morning (21/11) and once we are set up, hope to put in a fish sometime Friday afternoon. Bring a swag - plenty room under one of the tarps.
I'll be leaving Toowoomba about 6am on the Friday hopefully.
Hope we see you up there.
Regards
Sav

SteveCan
08-10-2003, 02:19 AM
Wow - Finally a M&G where the date work for us. Lindy and I will be there with bells on! Will be booking the camp site today ;D We will probably come up on the Friday night - should be there by the time the bad language is in full swing, hope that a campfire is allowed when we get there...

Not sure wether to Bring the 16ft Fibreglass or the Electric Canoe though. The 16 footer has the comfort, but the canoe has the stealth - suggestions?

Look forward to seeing you all there!

Cheers
Steve

Lucky_Phill
08-10-2003, 03:26 AM
Throw the canoe on the roof and tow the 16footer, ?

only a suggestion !

Phill

craigie
08-10-2003, 09:55 AM
Glad you can make it Steve.C., I like Phill's suggestion but only if you have a motor for the Canoe, It's a big Dam ;)

If we get a bit more of this rain, a camp fire is looking likely ?? Bring the Marshmellows and a nice Port ;D

Craig.

SteveCan
08-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Cheers Craigie,

the Canoe has a 32lb electric - it's moves it along at about 5 knots - faster if paddle assisted ;) If the electric was big enough to push the runabout around it would be a no brainer, but 32Lb doesn't cut it at all. It's a tough decision - I haven't fished the fresh at all - so I have no idea what I am in for. I see that it is NOT a small dam - are the fishing spots a long way from the ramp? Is it best to use lures or bait? do you fish on the drift or at anchor - or is trolling the best way to go. Sorry I am so ignorant - I was hoping to pick everyones brains when I got there, I might as well start early :P

Looking forward to it lots - the place looks excellent!

Cheers
Steve.

craigie
08-10-2003, 02:36 PM
G'day Steve,

Bring whichever boat has got a sounder, very important tool for fishing dams.
Feel free to pick our brains as much as possible, my aim is to get everyone hooked on Freshwater fishing at the BP Dam M&G ;D.
I'll be posting regular tips and reports on Fishing this dam between now and the M&G, so everyone is fully armed when they get up there.

In the two previous years that I have fished this Dam, all the good fishing has been a 5 - 10 min run up the dam(going at 20 knots) from the Boat Ramp. We caught all our fish trolling medium to deep divers in 6 to 10 metres of water. The water level has since droped so I may be starting from scratch this time around.
I will post pictures of successful lures as well as some happy snaps of fish (Bass and Yellowbelly) to get you enthusiastic for the big event.

The dam has fished well over recent weeks, although most fish have been caught on casting soft plastics and deep fly techniques.

I will be contacting a couple of the "Local Gun Anglers" for up-to-date reports and tips to help out our plight ???

If you have any other question, just fire away and I'll help as best I can ;)

Cheers
Craig..

wizard
08-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Hi Guy's
You can count the Wizard in(Wife too)and can-do with electric will get there mid morn Friday.
Wizard

Smithy
08-10-2003, 05:55 PM
No need to travel 10 mins up the dam - straight off the campground boat ramp is fishing pretty well. The old creek bed comes in close here.

craigie
09-10-2003, 12:20 PM
Thanks Smithy,

As mentioned above, You were one of the "Local Gun Anglers" I was hopeful of recruiting for our up-to-date reports ;).
Drop in any time with titbits of information that might help the crew catch a fish.

Regards
Craig.

Lucky_Phill
09-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Latest report for week ending 3rd Oct.

" Bass are going balistic on soft plastic sliders and atomics with a few on trolled Smack 12 lures. Good Bass and Golden Perch on spinner baits cast towards the bank "

Courtesy Yallakool Cafe and Tackle, 4168 4811

cheers Phill

sav
09-10-2003, 05:58 PM
Hi guys
BP is still fishing well by deep trolling the old creek bed. Creek bed is well defined in the AFN Fishing Map no (not sure of no - any one help). Maps available for a few dollars (includes a few other dams) at most good map shops and tackle shops.
Definetly need a sounder to locate creek bed.
Use deep diver lures - several brands available.
Regards
Sav

PS Phil & Webby - Correction to prev mail, I'm bringing the small BBQ so Webby can leave his at home.

Smithy
09-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Can provide a map I have developed myself which you can use with Oziexplorer so you can plot the entire creek bed. Just send a pm if interested or e-mail to my Yahoo address.

sav
14-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Don't forget the M&G on 21-23 Nov at BP, and remember you will need a Stock Impoundment Permit.
Assume you can get them from the shop at Dam. Smithy, can you confirm.
Regards
Sav

Smithy
15-10-2003, 06:28 AM
At Yallakool Tourist Park not the shop or the best way is over the net through DPI's Fishweb site.

sav
17-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Thanks Smithy. DPI's Web site is the best way to get your SIP. Didn't want to show my bias.
Regards
Sav

bugman
25-10-2003, 12:02 PM
bump to top for everyone

Lucky_Phill
25-10-2003, 12:05 PM
Nice bump , Brett ::)

craigie
05-11-2003, 08:29 AM
My turn to bump this to the top :D

Will put up a more detailed post later today. Just spent a few days at BP in a Cabin at Yallakool Tourist Park. The fishing was world class (in my opinion) and will post photographic evidence of this.

I've been absent from the board for a few weeks, but I'm back now and will be kicking this M&G issue along from now on !!

Cheers
Craigie.

bugman
05-11-2003, 11:09 AM
I'm in your boat Craigie ... better still you skipper Phil's boat with my motor and we'll just catch em!!

What's been doing the damage so I can go and make some purchases.

Bugman

craigie
05-11-2003, 03:14 PM
G'day Brett,

All types of lures and colours have been producing the goods over the past weekend (2003 Golden Lure Fishing Comp).
Lures in Black and or Purple that were medium to deep divers (18 - 25 feet) produced plenty of quality fish for us and most other teams. There were also reports of yellows and charteuse catching big numbers of natives as well.
Blitz Bagas again did a lot of the damage for other teams, where as my team had great success with the "Purple polterguist" that was diving to around 5.5m, as well as dark and purple "Ridgebacks" as well as green/Black and Green /Yellow "Merlins".
Until I lost it, the Purple "Wities Dee-Bob" deep in purple was slaying them. I hooked a quality fish that wrapped me around a log and bricked me, bye bye gun lure !!! :'( :'( :'(

At this stage I will be taking my boat to the M&G and hope to have my bow mount Minn Kota mounted up for the trip.

Take note of the following photos, quality fish are available within spitting distance of the Boat Ramp :o :o ;D

Cheers
Craig.

craigie
05-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Quality 49 cm Bass caught on the way back to the boat ramp after a great days fishing.

craigie
05-11-2003, 03:25 PM
More quality Bass from the same area

craigie
05-11-2003, 03:27 PM
Quality Golden Perch were just as eager to smash our lures as the Bass.

craigie
05-11-2003, 03:30 PM
One of the best Goldens for the trip, this one was over 50 cm which is slightly better than average for this Impoundment :o :o ;D

craigie
05-11-2003, 03:41 PM
Guys,

Just as a teaser ;), for 3 days of fishing at Bjelke-Petersen Dam (over the last couple of weeks) we caught about 40 fish on trolled lures that were of legal size and released. plenty more undersized fish were encounted, If that's not world class then I'm a pissed idiot ;D ::)

Book yourselves down for the M&G, It's going to be a weekend of "Personal Bests" !!!

Cheers
Craig

sav
05-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Craigie, once again you are building up their expectations. It'll be you running naked around the campfire if Webby dips out on a good fish again.

Seriously it will be a good weekend - weather permitting. New improvements at BPwith a camp kitchen installed. Craigie & I will try to get a large camp spot next to it on the Friday 21/11.
Looking forward to it.
Sav

Smithy
06-11-2003, 07:03 AM
The second placed team in the Golden Lure caught and released 52 fish for the day and a half comp!

craigie
07-11-2003, 03:58 PM
These guy's were very good but they were not locals (I think they were from the Gold Coast).
Most Teams got at least a few fish for the weekend.

Things are still looking good ;D

Only 2 weeks to go, so who's going to be there (with/without a boat) ?

Yallakool has just recently built a fabulous "Camp Kitchen", which is decked out with a few modern cons (Microwave, Fridge, hot plates and B-B-Q'S etc). Sav and I intend to set up the camp fairly close to this facility (more so for the fridge and powerpoints as we will have our own B-B-Q's)

We may be able to arrange a T.V. for the Saturday night, apparently that's the final of the Rugby World Cup ?? (can somebody confirm that )

Cheers Craigie.

aquarius
07-11-2003, 06:15 PM
Yes Craigie thats correct...that Saturday night is the Rugby World Cup Final.
Unfortunatley i won,t be able to attend this M&G due to our work Christmas party......The wife works at the same place of employment and to be fare to her i better acompany her to this event.
Hope those that are heading up to B P Dam have a great time and i will have to wait till the next M&G. :(
Cheers Brent

Brett_Finger
08-11-2003, 03:13 AM
i'll be there,
if i do not have a charter booked.
Hookin,Brett #;D

Old.Fart
08-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Brett,

Good to see you are still trying to improve your fishing. It is a good idea you have to book a guide/charter to help with your technique.

Zeeke
08-11-2003, 03:36 PM
id be there if i could organise transport for me and my boat.. thats if petrol powered boats can go down there?

Tim

Zeeke
08-11-2003, 04:50 PM
Btw.. just so people dont get caught offguard.. i live on the Sunshine Coast.. so it might be a fair hike if your considering towing my boat and giving me a lift.. but ive got room on my boat to fish 3 and its all setup for lure fishing..

Tim

sav
09-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Guys
I'll bring a TV - whats the reception like up Murgon way - do they get channel 7. I'll have my tranni as a backup.
If the Wallabies miss out - who cares.
See you all there.
Sav

Zeeke
09-11-2003, 09:35 PM
my boat has a built in Marine Cassette/Radio so if the tv doesnt work.. can always wack on the radio... has pretty good reception too..!

Tim

sunrise
10-11-2003, 06:17 AM
I will try and get up there
johno

Zeeke
10-11-2003, 08:48 AM
looks like i might have a lift after all.. shall see.. we might only be down there for the day

Tim

craigie
11-11-2003, 01:48 PM
Hope you can make Zeeke, our boats will look like twins (except mine is tiller steer)

Only about 12 more big sleeps !!!

Craig.

craigie
11-11-2003, 02:07 PM
More of the same, yet another solid 49cm Golden Perch from Bjelke Dam. More importantly, take note of the lure hanging from its lip. "Purple polterguist" in a 3m + version. This lure will dive to 5m + when trolled on fine Fireline. This has certainly been our "Gun" Lure over the last 2 summer seasons at BP. Can be purchased at K/Mart for about $10.00 Cheers Craigie.

Chris_J
11-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Bugger...I just double checked the calander :'( That Saturday nite is our school formal and then Sunday I'm off to Monduran...so I don't think I'll be there :-/ Damnit, I've been hangin' out to fish BP again...

Cheer

Chris

Cloud_9
11-11-2003, 04:30 PM
do ya need a permit to put ya boat in the drink or just the permit to fish??
mite come up for the day saturday that should be better to M&G few fellers.

sav
11-11-2003, 04:50 PM
You only need a current SIP to fish BP. You will also be up for a few dollars to camp but all up a pretty cheap outing.

My son (11) is coming up with me - anyone else got their kids coming.
see you there.
Sav

Zeeke
11-11-2003, 05:03 PM
tell me what i need to bring, get so when i arrive i dont look like a nutter as the ranger chases me off with a pack of starving ducks

Tim

Zeeke
11-11-2003, 05:06 PM
Craigie, mine was a tiller steer.. i converted it to a side console.. and also mine has the bowmounted electric ;)

Tim

murrayscod
11-11-2003, 06:36 PM
gees last time i fished at B.P was under that jetty like thing near the wall in the picture. must be low.

bugman
12-11-2003, 05:25 AM
Craig

Would you believe the KMART across the road from me at Toowong had all lures at 25% off. Picked up the exact same poltergiest for $9. Very happy with myself.

I've now got the green/gold version, black red, and purple. Those goldens are in real trouble.

And that's before I get to the voodoos

Brett

craigie
12-11-2003, 02:43 PM
Zeeke,

Travel light mate, Esky with food and drinks, change of cloths and a sleeping bag. Fishing gear and boat is optional ;D

My rig has a Bow Mount Minn Kota as well but I may not bring it, not essential for trolling around BP Dam, could be handy if casting.

Murray'scod, mate the water has gone down heaps in the last 12 months, has to have dropped 3 - 4 metres. Still plenty of deep water in the lower reaches between the two Boat Ramps. If you want to explore up the back of the Dam that's o.k but you need to stick to the old river bed, could be a few trees and stumps waiting to sink their splinters into your prop though :o ;D. Still some good Bass and Goldens to be caught between Bass Point and Treasure Island.

G'day Brett, good piece of shopping mate, Purple Polterguist for $9, it truely is a well performed lure for this Impoundment, I always take a second as back-up ::) The other colors catch the odd fish as well.
If the fish turn on as we hope they do, Voodoos and Polterguists may only be the start of your freshwater lure collection ;) ;D.

Craigie.

Zeeke
12-11-2003, 06:31 PM
Cheers Craigie, might come down for a day or maybe 2.. depends on the person towing my rig, my electric is handy for all things... fitting a remote control to it soon.. one of those MinnKota Co-Pilots so it'll make things easier.. and i only ever do casting.. never really troll

Tim

craigie
14-11-2003, 02:40 PM
Good stuff Tim, wouldn't mind one of those co-pilot thingys as well, heaps cheeper in the states and noticed that sometimes the retailer throws them in for free :o :o :o, have seen them for $350 - $400 in Aus.

Plenty of the guy's cast plastics and spinnerbaits at BP, I've never tried it (I have the tackle just in case) because trolling can be so effective during Spring/Summer.

Cheers
Craig.

Zeeke
14-11-2003, 03:35 PM
yea, the ones available in aus are corded and work like the foot control, the one im getting is the size of a car alarm remote and lets you fully control the electric without the cord and you can still use the foot pedal at the same time..

looks like we'll be coming down on saturday around noon and staying the night and leaving sunday, ill be arranging my permit and stuff this weekend.. (never fished the fresh, last time was with Redback.. 2 weeks ago for the Baroon Pocket Fish Release.. before that it was 13yrs) so yea.. ill end up using my boat as a tent and sleeping inside that heh..

Tim

Lucky_Phill
14-11-2003, 04:52 PM
I'll be posting directions and distances to the dam in the next few days, stay tuned !

The new ' online ' SIP permits are easy to use and worth while doing, they are instant.

Phill

sav
14-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Craig
I'll get you a couple SMAK 19's in dark colours for the rod holders. Having some success with them at BP. Still having trouble getting the BB's - that guy would be on a fortune if he would start makinfg a few more (although I will have another look around next week).
Talk to you next week.
Sav

bugman
15-11-2003, 05:06 AM
Sav,

If you get a couple of Blitzies can you pick up at least one for me please. I'll fix you up at BP.

By the way I'm picking up a heap of voodoos this week and will bring them up to BP for those that have been struggling to get their hands on these great lures. I think you'll be very very pleasantly surprised by the price.

Bugman

Smithy
15-11-2003, 07:15 AM
Big things are afoot for BBs. Stay tuned. Not sure if it is public knowledge yet.

Lucky_Phill
15-11-2003, 01:24 PM
These directions are for folks comming from Brisvegas, south side. #You north side folks will meet up with the roads somewhere. ( probably take the Woodford, Kilcoy route to Yarraman )

Take Ipswich Road west outta Brisbane, and then the ESK turnoff leading to Fernvale. #Continue on Brisbane Valley Hwy, past Toogoolawah. An intersection past Harlin, go left to YARRAMAN, #then head to NANANGO..Don't go to Kingaroy.

Take Burnett Hwy to MURGON / GOOMERI, #take Murgon / Barambah Road ( about 37k's from Nanango ).

8 k's up the road look left for turn-off, either Glenorvale, Narayen or Lake Barambah Yallakool Tourist Park.

And you should be there. #Drive around looking lost and we'll find you.

All up, about 240k's from Brisvegas. 3 hrs easy going.

Phill

craigie
15-11-2003, 01:36 PM
If your a Northsider and take the Caboolture Kilcoy route, travel time will also be about 3hrs. I usually go this way from Wynnum, takes me about 3 and a half hrs when I tow the Boat.

Craig.

Zeeke
15-11-2003, 01:38 PM
how about from the sunshine coast??

Tim

craigie
15-11-2003, 02:52 PM
Good Question Zeeke !

I've had a quick look at the referdex (Country Link QLD), but I'm still not sure which way is the shortest. You have the option of going North through Gympie, then out through Kilkivan and Goomeri, but without looking at a larger Map showing distances between towns it's hard to tell which Route is shortest (naturally the other option is to go south then out through Kilcoy etc).
It's certainly worth investigating a bit further, either way should be a quicker trip than for of us 'Brisvegans' !!!

Craigie.

Zeeke
16-11-2003, 02:35 PM
Cheers Craigie, i got myself a permit today.. a yearly.. even got a discount too.. !! go blue pension card

ill checking the list and checking it twice, to see if its naughty or nice.. and getting to that dam to catch my first freshwater fish in 13yrs

Tim

sav
17-11-2003, 05:08 PM
Zeeke
Think you will find the route via Gympie is the quickest. Generally less traffic esp if you are travelling on the Friday.
See you there.
Sav

sav
17-11-2003, 05:14 PM
Sorry guys Blitz Baggers are off the market up here. Smithy is right, there are new developments regarding the Blitz Bagger lure and I will tell you at the M&G - ie if somebody up there doesn't tell you first.
Smithy - its pretty common knowledge around the Toowoomba fishos I think.
Sav

Zeeke
18-11-2003, 06:52 AM
well after talking to Vertico, due to him working and stuff, we'll be up there on saturday, getting there around sun up hopefully and fishing all day hopefully.. anyways, will let ya know if anything changes

Cheers
Tim

vertico
18-11-2003, 08:45 AM
looks like its sunday zeeke boy

Touchy - R.I.P.
18-11-2003, 03:29 PM
Little Children & Old Ladies,BE VERY FRIGHTENED,THE TOUCHMAN COMMETH TO BP :o :o :o :o.Cragie don't take any notice of Bugman trying to snivel his way into your boat,the first two trips with you should be for the worst two freshwater fishos & Webby & ME ::) are by far the two top blokes there,Brett is a far far poor third ;D ;D ;D.Touchy.><> ><> ><>.

Zeeke
18-11-2003, 03:37 PM
Run... RUN AWAY!! Touchy will catch no fish all day then go and sink your boat with one mother of a cod and a giant freshwater stingray will steal his big white grub!

Hopefully cya there Sunday Touchy

Tim

bugman
19-11-2003, 04:29 AM
Geez Fred,

And I was going to take you for a ride at 100km an hour on the jet ski - but now you've gone an upset me. Well I think I'll still take you for a spin but not on the seat - I'll tie you to the end of the ski rope and see if that aging frame of yours skims across the surface the same as one of your plastics ;D

Brmmm Brmmm

Bugman

Touchy - R.I.P.
19-11-2003, 07:13 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

craigie
19-11-2003, 03:07 PM
G'day Touchy, Glad to hear your joining the party, shame we won't have a "Betty" and Jack reunion, or are we ???

I'm fairly confident that I can get you and "The Web Man" attached to a legal size Bass on a trolled lure. If the M&G had been held on any of the last 6 weekends at BP, there would have been plenty of fish lured up to keep us all smilling :D, all I ask is they stay on the chew for one more week so you guys get a fair dinkum Freshwater Fishing experience ::), I realise this could be the last chance to turn some of you blokes to the "Dark Side" !!

I'll be arriving at the site around 9.30 am, Friday Morning. Will be meeting Sav about 10.00am to erect our Camp Site. It will be easy to locate, just look for the pool,Tennis Court and the Camp Kitchen as your driving in, we will be on the grassy area just below it (on the Dam side). If you happen to arrive around lunchtime or early afternoon, we may be out doing a bit of recon on the Dam so make yourselves at home.

Cheers
Craig.

wizard
19-11-2003, 03:30 PM
The Gods DON'T like me-will have to say sorry but I have to work and I can't get out of it, so I will not be coming to the M&G.

Wizard

Justme
19-11-2003, 03:36 PM
Hi Craig,
Should arrive around mid afternoon Friday if I can get the chores done here quickly. You shouldn't be hard to find.
Guess what?
Jack's gunna be there Saturday & Sunday.
Cya
Larry

Zeeke
19-11-2003, 04:17 PM
Well, it looks like i wont be coming to the M&G now.. vertico who was going to tow for me has some doubts because he'd be spending 6hrs on the road to get there and fish only one day.. sorry guys.. will meet up next time!

Tim

mackmauler
19-11-2003, 04:58 PM
There must be a non-boater who would kill for the chance to fish with zeeke for the weekend :D hell i would... but hervey bay beckons this time ;D gotta give zeeke a plug as a top bloke who has the biggest tackle box ive ever seen and the know-how about using it all :o come on team ;D

Fisherman02
20-11-2003, 09:42 AM
hey fellas
i am in need of a #ride to Bjelke Petersen dam friday lunchtime. #Preferbly in the wooloongabba area but just about anywhere on the southside would be ok. #Ride back is covered so only need one way at this point if anyone can lend a hand send me a PM
cheers jack

Zeeke
20-11-2003, 10:38 AM
i might be able to get a ride back on sunday, so if someone could give me and my boat a lift down on saturday then it would be great.. you would also get the chance to fish out of my boat for the day for your troubles and ill also give you some cash for the fuel for giving me a lift... but thats still a might be able to get a lift back..

SteveCan
20-11-2003, 04:49 PM
Looks like we are covered boys - I hereby cordially invite Zeeke, Jack and Zeek's boat to join my Patrol in a sojourn to the M&G

Stevecan is leaving the building! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers
Steve. 8)

Zeeke
20-11-2003, 05:07 PM
This is an offer i cant refuse, done and done.. thanks heaps Steve for the offer, hopefully we'll get onto the fish big time!

Tim

sav
20-11-2003, 06:24 PM
heard a few of the boys are concerned they won't see the Aussies thrash the Poms on Sat night. TV reception is ok in the shop at BP but we would have to "negotiate" with Matthew Mott to keep openb till finish.
I'll have a TV with me but I need an aerial - anyone got one. We'll get power at the camp kitchen but I suspect we'll have to have Touchey holding a lead on the roof to get decent reception.
If all fails I'll be driving into Murgon to watch it (and probably have to walk back)

SWee you all there
Sav
PS
For those that want to pass the info on to there other halfs - mobile reception at BP - if you walk around a bit

Zeeke
20-11-2003, 07:02 PM
ive got a small portable aerial, same as the one ive got for my tele, ill bring it if ya need it

my boat also has radio built in with pretty loud speakers, so if a genius there can find the radio station that is commentating the show u can listen on that (gee, like the old days)

Tim

bugman
21-11-2003, 03:23 AM
I'm bringing a tv which has rabbit ear aerials. I hope that will be enough. Can't miss out on the Walla babies in action.

That's Australian green and gold my furry friend and don't you f###ing forget it >:(

Bugman

Randall
21-11-2003, 10:48 AM
Might wander up Saturday arvo. Look out for a white wheelie bin on the water!!!

Spoke to Touchy a few minutes ago....said I can bunk in with him. Good idea or what?????

:o

Randall.

imported_admin
21-11-2003, 10:59 AM
Randall,

Seeing it is your brthday on Saturday I hope you don't get too big of a surprise birthday present ;D ;D

Would love to be able to get to the M&G but SWMBO had already made other plans. It is our 12th wedding Aniversay on Sunday.

Zeeke
21-11-2003, 01:02 PM
you might be safe Randall, just sleep on ur back ;) just kidding, hope to see ya there mate, and if you dont show up, i hope u have a great B'day

Tim

craigie
21-11-2003, 01:10 PM
O.k crew, everybody getting set to go :D :D

Hope we all have a safe trip up, if anyone has difficulties or questions, I'm contactable by Mobile Phone on 0423 768 112. It's not my phone, but I will be travelling with it's owner.
The other option would be to leave a message with the management at Yallakool Tourist Park by ringing 41684746, I'll check Saturday morning for any messages.

Seeyaonthedam

Cheers
Craig.

Touchy - R.I.P.
21-11-2003, 03:00 PM
Prof.Gilbert,Betty wasn't coming till she heard about the birthday,gunna go & pack her RIGHT NOW 8)I think theres a fire ban on so cant light all your candles,besides it might just set my glass of green up in flames. ;D ;D.Cheers T.><>.

sav
21-11-2003, 05:26 PM
Last post on this from me. I'm leaving for BP at 8am tomorrow morning and Craigie and I will have some sort of camp set up by lunch. We will be as close as possible to camp kitchen as we can get. (power power for the game). Big white tarp with a couple tents around it - you can't miss it.
Zeeke - bring that aerial - we'll work something out.
We could be on the water tomorrow afternoon so hang around - have a beer when we dock.
Can't wait.
Sav

Randall, you should be safe with touchy Sat night. After he has a couple of green deaths - off to sleep I think.

SteveCan
21-11-2003, 05:38 PM
Looks like Zeeke Jack and Steve arriving Midnight Friday - keep a beer cold for us - I'll be ready for it after the drive from the Gold Coast!

Cheers
Steve.

Zeeke
21-11-2003, 09:34 PM
all we need now is someone to rock up with a heap of Ausfish stickers to mark all the boats that dont have one yet.. like mine ;)

Tim

Zeeke
24-11-2003, 10:55 AM
Would like to thank the guys who organised the M&G it was a great event, was good to meet a few people and put faces to names and was a great weekend.. cept for watchin the Wallabies get done the fishing was slow.. until today when everyone but 3 boats pissed off back to shelter and the fish came on the bite, Steve and I managed 2 really nice bass, 41 and 45cm.. i brought them home, gonna give them a tryout on the BBQ tonight.. so thanks again.. and hope to see you at the next M&G

Tim

Smithy
24-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Our first one for the day on Saturday. About a 42cm Bass held up by Luke Kerkow.

Would have liked to have come out again today but felt hungover all day after our work Christmas party Saturday night.

Smithy
24-11-2003, 01:24 PM
Luke with his nice 46cm Bass. Ended up with about 10 for the session.

Smithy
24-11-2003, 01:25 PM
And a nice Golden for me.

wildone13_au
24-11-2003, 01:33 PM
Nice fish Smithy geez iam peed of that i could not make it. Maybe next time ill get up there and meet some of you blokes went out to cressbrook caught 9 bass not as good as them ones.
Cheers Michael

jeffo
24-11-2003, 02:16 PM
did you guys stick that tag in the bass or was it there already... nice fish. i was on the goldie all weekend. would loved to have come out and had a fish :'( next time.

Zeeke
24-11-2003, 03:25 PM
G'day Smithy, some nice picts there mate, you did better then us, we didnt get onto the fish really until sunday morning, between 5am and 8am we scored 5 bass and a yella.. all we got on saturday was a big bloody jewfish, heres the picts of our fish http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Freshwater_Pics;action=display;num= 1069574332

Tim

SteveCan
24-11-2003, 03:50 PM
Well done on the photo's Zeeke, and thanks heaps for having me on your boat - I had a top time ;D Lots of stories and lots to learn. I am taking a course in Bloodknots 101 :-[ I am sure that will help my catch rate :P

It was great to finally make it to a M&G - greetings again to all I met and hope to see you again soon at the next one!

Cheers
Steve.

sav
24-11-2003, 05:23 PM
Hi all, it was a great M&G and great to catch up with everone.
Sorry Zeeke, the rain dragged us back in. We had landed and released 4 nice bass (and Webby got another one) but soon as the rain started they dropped off.
Our camp site and swags etc were drenched so after the long clean up we decided to call it a weekend. Knew you were still out there and probably doing ok.
I landed 8 fish (all good fish) with a PB on my 53cm bass (webby has the pic - but seeing its a fresh water fish he may not post it). Also a 49cm yella which was close to my best.

Got a couple shots but all 1.3mb - still working out how to reduce them.
Be more on this I'm sure.
Had a ball and I'll be back to BP soon.
Regards
Sav

Smithy
24-11-2003, 05:44 PM
We were tagging. BP has only been on the tagging list for a couple of months so we are trying to put as many flags in the fish as possible in the shortest possible time.

Nice fish Tim. Boat looks good on the water.

Zeeke
24-11-2003, 06:17 PM
yes, we pulled out the $1 ponchos and braved the wet, we got our first bass about 5mins before it started raining, and then during the rain we got our 2 biggest bass, 46 and 41cm and a couple of smaller ones around 30cm mark, then as soon as it stopped raining, Steve scored himself the yella..

Good work with the tagging Smithy, its always good to hear of a fish being recaptured and then being released again.. also the boat looks a bit better now, grabbed some ausfish stickers from Phill, nice sexy silver ones that i plastered onto the outboard, looks good with the dark blue background ;)

Tim

craigie
25-11-2003, 02:40 PM
Tim, we would have paid you big dollars for those $1 raincoats, that downpoor soaked me and my crew to the point that we all agreed to return to base and leave the fish to someone else. Well done for sticking it out and boating a few nice fish for your troubles.
I was hoping we would all get a chance Saturday night to talk fishing tactics for that Sunday morning session, but the rain kinda stuffed those plans.

Smithy, We had a similar count for the Saturday morning session. Landed 12 fish from 6.00 am till 11.30am. The fish came in spurts, then it would go dead again. We hadn't caught much up until the time we spoke to you.

cheers Craig.

Justme
25-11-2003, 03:29 PM
G'day Fellas
Got to fit a bilge pump after sunday mornin. Took 15 mins to drain the tinny.
Great weekend and thanks to all for makin me feel welcome. Shame about the footy but.
I sure wiil be goin to more m n g's.
Who cares about not catchin a fish, it's the company that matters the most.
Thanks again & will watch the boards with interest.
Cheers Larry

peterbo3
25-11-2003, 03:43 PM
From Lucky Phil who is having a small computer problem :-[ :-[ :-[.

Glad the M&G seemed a hit with all who attended. Terrific turnout with plenty of fish boated. The rain was good for the local farmers & not so good for those who ended up with a wet bed ;) ;). But life goes on.
To those salt water types who are thinking of crossing over to the DARK SIDE - be warned. The next step after fresh is fly. And we all know what that means :o :o :o.

See you at the next M&G on North Straddie after Christmas.
The Lucky One

Zeeke
25-11-2003, 05:28 PM
Dont go knocking Fly Pete, i would have brought a flyrod if i had one, but it now lives with Harry in Toowoomba and i now have his flyrod ;) (lil bit of a trade)

Craigie, i would have liked to chat about lures and fishing after the football, instead i got to listen to the guys in the tent next to us from the bait and tackle shop talking about lures.. they were going on about gold and purple lures, so i wacked a gold halco scorpion 55 on a rod for Steve and he scored that nice yellowbelly on it

Hopefully we might able to organise another smaller get together for a fish somewhere in the future

Tim
p.s. We'll leave Jack at home ;) ::) :-X :P

Randall
26-11-2003, 03:58 AM
Yes, was a good getogether. I breezed in later on Saturday arvo and met a few new faces. Spent the night chatting with most Ausfish guys and gals under the big tarp with the TV!!

Your a classic Webby!!! ;D That photo of you holding the Bass!! Man...you must have been enjoying yourself sooooo much!!! NOT!!!
The fresh just does`nt do it for you huh? ;D

Phil is the most organized camper I`ve ever had the pleasure of sharing a shelter with. I thought Touchy was organized until I saw the Mansion Phil and family had set up!! All you need now mate is the butler and maid!!

Thanks for all making me feel welcome.

Randall.