PDA

View Full Version : Sunfish says zoning is a stunt

jaybee
26-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Recreational fishing lobby group Sunfish claims the Representative Areas Program used to develop plans to increase protection levels on the Great Barrier Reef to more than 30 per cent has been little more than a political stunt.

Sunfish north Queensland president, Brian Pickup, says maps of the proposed re-zoning shown to recreational and commercial fishing groups differ greatly to those shown to environmental groups.

Mr Pickup says there is too much conflicting information for the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority to have developed the re-zoning plan properly.

"When we saw the map on the 17th of October it only had one green zone in Bowling Green Bay," he said.

"And we're now led to believe that there is a further proposal to put an additional green zone in there as well, which is totally unacceptable to both recreational and commercial fishers of that area."

The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority says it has been up-front about each step of its process to re-zone the reef despite claims from local fishers that it is playing politics.

The Authority's Bruce Kingston says it is obvious the maps were changed over time to reflect the needs of all reef users.

Mr Kingston says the Authority made it clear maps would be adjusted and updated during the drafting of the final plan.

"They're absolutely correct," he said.

"We had a number of options and over a period of consultations... different people would have seen a number of different options for zoning, possibilities in Bowling Green Bay, so I fail to see that there's any problem attached to that."

Posted: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:09am AEST

NQCairns
26-11-2003, 07:07 PM
That concentric ringed pole just gets longer and longer, WHAT!!! I have to bend over again!!nq

Gazza
27-11-2003, 03:59 AM
The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority says it has been up-front about each step of its process to re-zone the reef despite claims from local fishers that it is playing politics.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

GBRMPA to abide by each step of its process to re-zone , should be required to do an EIS (Environmental Impact Study)
on each re-zoned area it is considering !! >:(

NOT PLAY POLITICS , or scrabble ,or monopoly :-* :-* :-*

Regards
Gazza

Kerry
27-11-2003, 05:32 AM
Obviously there's been changes and Obviously only selected people have seen these changes and Obviously the public probably won't see the changes until it's being rubber stamped by the gov.

And now they've got this "new" brown algae that they know absolutely nothing about to study that is taking over bleached coral and "troubling" the tourist operators. Wonder who'll be the bendover for this one ;)

Cheers, Kerry.

whiteman
27-11-2003, 09:28 AM
(The following is my opinion and not necessarily my club's)

GBRMPA is funded by Federal Govt money so therefore it is political. The Liberal coalition needs more green votes so "green scientists" are getting their day in the sun. The process is incredibly flawed but the current losers - fishos - have insignificant political clout. A few bumper stickers saying "I fish and I vote" is not going to scare the mob in government.

The only "organisation" we have got in place to put up a fight is Sunfish. And I don't see much happening on their part, particularly now the horse has bolted. Compare the recent political lobbying for keeping Ningaloo Reef in WA free of development - they lined up famous Australians and made a huge noise via a very well planned campaign - and won.

Maybe a high profile political lobyist can be hired to get amoungst The Senate and see if support can be weakened, however, as The Senate has a strong green vote base, the chances of success are unlikely.

We may have to accept the current 33% as a done deal. But if it goes beyond this in the next few years and us fishos don't get more involved, we only have ourselves to blame.

jaybee
27-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Hasnt GBRMPA done an EIS. I believe from previous meetings with my local member, all alterations to zones, size limits etc, are required on a state and Federal level, may be worth chasing this one up.
Kerry, you mentioned the Algae, have a post on that if you are interested in reading.
cheers
Joe