PDA

View Full Version : police enforcement of fisheries rules

sharkbait
23-11-2003, 09:16 AM
G'day all, an incident on tuesday night this week just gone has left me wondering. I was coming back from a quick trip to mud Island with a mate at about 1am, when stopped on Logan Rd by the flashing red and blue lights. After the usual rbt and licence check they proceeded to take a very good look through the boat and asked me to open the icebox so they could check legal limits. There was no problem, we only had four fish anyway, but I wasnt aware they policed limits like that. I'm thinking one was a keen fisho because he then proceeded to tell us all about the new limit for squire, as If we didnt know, coming back in the middle of the night with enough expensive gear to start a tackle shop. Anyone know what the deal is, I thought only fisheries did the checks, maybe there is an officer on the board, maybe even the bloke who pulled me up...

agnes_jack
23-11-2003, 09:49 AM
Sharkbait
Im not one hundred percent sure, but I heard a rumor that police can do the checks but that they have to do a course on the subject to attain the naccesary qualifications. Regardless though they do have the power to detain you and call in the fisheries . Would be interesting to have that verified.

Regards agnes_jack

bj
23-11-2003, 09:56 AM
Mate, I read in our local paper that about a dozen police were to be trained to enforce fishery laws,apparently it's now under way.

DaneCross
23-11-2003, 09:59 AM
My guess is that he was just bored and wanted to see what you caught! The licence and rbt was just a cover-up :-X

Hainer
23-11-2003, 10:30 AM
I can confirm that some police now do have the power to enforce the Fisheries Act.

ghost
23-11-2003, 10:35 AM
Hi there, I will look into that as i have a mate on the water police, just have to catch up with him. Will let you know what he tells me. ??? ??? :o

To late it's been confirmed while i was writing this.

jaybee
23-11-2003, 11:16 AM
bj
Mate, I read in our local paper that about a dozen police were to be trained to enforce fishery laws I posted this around 12 months ago, qld police (only a handful at this stage) are indeed being trained to enforce fisheries rules. Don't know when and if this is coming into effect, however the Beattie Gov are looking at the same set up as the NSW police, Good show i reckon, which means they can pull you up anytime whilst towing a boat and do a check, should be more of it. (specially with safety gear)
cheers
Joe.

landy1
23-11-2003, 01:36 PM
G'day All
Police can check and enforce any federal or state law in Queensland. However I would strongly tend to think he was a fellow fisho just keen for a chat.
cheers
Mick

sharkbait
24-11-2003, 11:07 AM
yep im inclined to think he was just bored and wanted a look, just felt weird going through the esky for the 'boys in blue'

jeffo
24-11-2003, 02:21 PM
good to see i say. the more people out there inforcing the rules means a healthy fishery for the future. and if i was a cop and was bored out of my brains i would probably do the same. ;D

thargor
24-11-2003, 09:12 PM
Yes a couple of the Water Police do have powers under the Fisheries Act of Queensland. They are not able to enforce these powers unless they have been granted approval by the chief executive.

Therefore those that have the "extra" powers can do a RBT, drug check, safety gear and license check (from powers under the Marine Safey Act) and fish size and bag limit check as well.

four_stroke
28-11-2003, 04:45 PM
don't think u need to worry to much unless ur doing the wrong thing ??? ...... ;D or the officer wants to frisk u to find ur secert spot :-X

Gazza
28-11-2003, 05:08 PM
I'd like to refer everyone to the scenario of Dominators "Beef of the Week".....

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=General;action=display;num=10696413 31

quote "I am not sure what can be done about this but I am certain some one on this chatboard may be able to go through the appropriate channels to make sure this will not continue." unquote

Sounds like a "land-based" job for the COPS !! :o ,just while travelling ,or in the area ,or on the beat, etc. ;)

Sounds like there is only a few of 'em, but they would be able to follow-up with any necessary charges/verification........with gentle force :-* , as appropriate.

psssst ,the word would get around quickSMART !! ;)