PDA

View Full Version : warning; long post re Craig T's article in Dec BnB

rick k
28-11-2003, 07:23 PM
G'day Craig,

Good to see you in print again. Not sure I understand the first half of your article though.

What I am about to write will prove one of us is an irrational fool who likes to waste money. Not sure about the other one.

My wife and I have spent almost $8 000 so far this year in our amatuer fishing. Yep, that includes a week in the Territory. The price per kilo just don't add up for me. I am clearly an irrational fool who likes to waste money. (just ask Fran, my lovely wife, who by the way only fishes in nice weather and catches more than me). You can sometimes see my decked out to the hilt pointy punt at Sam's seafood at Hamilton when I have not caught dinner.

What about you and thoe pros you write about?

I was intrigued to read your article in Dec B'nB. You are clearly skilled in your profession, and I wish you well. I have some trouble understanding the first half or so of what you wrote.

As to the second half, yep, we are all paying heaps of tax and fees for 'services'. Lucky for us we live in a democracy; lets see Rick and Craig elected to the Senate; maybe someone will pay us for the tipple we need to solve the world's problems?

The first half.

You want us to sympathise with pros who got nothing for a license. The payout was based on proven earnings for the last three years? This is a very common basis for valuing a business, its used pretty often by business sellers and buyers Craig.

The poor pros you mention got Zero. Does this mean that they earned Zero, or declared Zero?

I see you have something to say about shamatuers and the blind who do not see what is going on. The Tax Commissioner is keen to hear from those who can cure blindness in the cash economy. Including pros, or shamatuers who become pros. I say this as someone who paid $20k in income tax last year, and who spent all his cash on fishing gear, rego, insurance and licenses adding probably another $10k if gst, rates and petrol taxes are taken into account.

Those poor pros who got nothing had an asset that was worth nothing when DPI, according to you, 25 years ago asked what they were doing. 6 years ago, they were told, better do something boys and girls, the rules are going to change.

They didn't use what they had (if they are to be believed). And despite being able to sell on the open market, you ask us to be sorry because we, the taxpayers of Qld only paid what their 'asset' was supposedly worth.

Jeez, Craig, plenty of us would like 6 years notice that our job was going to change, let alone disappear. They paid nothing. They earned nothing. They got nothing. What is the problem?

Sorry, can't see the connection between the Grannies and your poor non income earning uncompensated pros (if I got that bit right). Those pros 25 years ago paid nothing for using a public resource. The grannies paid for their blocks.

So, Craig, you had to study a bit to ply your trade? You had to buy a couple of books, did you? So did I, mate. 5 years of night school. Lots of expensive books. A couple of exams. Yep, like you, I'm proud of what I achieved. You were smarter than me though mate; I sit at a desk behind a computer, while you earn a living from what I pay to do. At least I have airconditioning! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

A $50 a year permit would be a good idea for amatuers to pay for boat ramps, jetties, etc? Excellent idea Craig, just cut it off my boat rego, rates and other taxes first. Take more than $50 on that basis; I'd be delighted.

Craig, you gave Sunfish's president a passing serve; heartless bugger had no compassion apparently; he wanted to buy out pros. Hmmmmm. Craig; buy out. Paid what their business is worth in the market based on their income. Oh, it wasn't really their income? Maybe it was a bit heartless for those who did report their income and got paid a fair value. Spoken to anyone who used to work for a bank lately?

Keep up the good work Craig, really happy to hear from a pro who is good at his work and enjoys it. Can't find too much sympathy for those others though.

Rick

Lucky_Phill
28-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Well Rick, you pretty well summed it all up there son ;)

Phill

dazza
29-11-2003, 02:34 AM
Hi,
I guess this goes with the other crap he writes. (imho)
ie: cheering as people pull no camping signs down in national parks.
good to see a BnB writer support willfull destruction of national parks. ??? sets a real good example.
cheers
daza