Jewmaster
13-11-2003, 09:47 AM
no 6

beefaman
13-11-2003, 09:55 AM
Biggest DAMN carp I have ever seen ::) Feed my cat till he dies :o

Daintreeboy
13-11-2003, 09:59 AM
I'd say no.1 is a mutant/conjoined twin thingy.
no. 2 giant squid.
no. 3 and 4 those huge asian goldfish.
no. 5 not sure, maybe some kinda deep sea anglerfish type thing ??? that died of smoking ;D
No. 6 isn't that one of those King Crabs and don't they catch them around Tassie/Bass Strait?

Or they're all fake :D

Lachie1
13-11-2003, 10:06 AM
:o :oWTF! :o ::) Holy sh*t that is some ugly lookin creatures!

Cheers, Lachie

Zeeke
13-11-2003, 10:41 AM
1. Pike (freshwater kind, highly regarded sportsfish in Europe)
2. Giant Squid probably from the family Architoothus
3. Probably Fake but Possible.. a Carp of some species
4. Probably a Sturgeon by the markings on it and the fins
5. Looks to me like a species of John Dory (there is a few)
6. Japanese Spider Crab.. has a leg span of over 2 meters

Tim

mackmauler
13-11-2003, 10:48 AM
no2 is a cuttlefish isnt it ??? and no1 ;D :-X

Hutcho
13-11-2003, 10:54 AM
I read somewhere else on the internet that the photo of those first two fish is actually a fake. Someone with too much time on their hands has joined them together using computer enhancement etc. The others...well, no comment really. Some of them simply looked like they had been blown up. [smiley=stunned.gif]

Gorilla_in_Manila
13-11-2003, 11:15 AM
All well faked is my guess. Someone with plenty of spare time and Photoshop 7.0 (or similar) skills.

Besides, .... everyone knows crabs roll their own smokes!

agnes_jack
13-11-2003, 11:17 AM
Holy snappin duck s%#t
I would have to agree with Zeeke except for the squid looks more like a cuttle fish to me with the shorter tentacles? Where are they from? Chernoble?
p.s medical authorities warn smoking is a health hazard
agnes_jack

agnes_jack
13-11-2003, 11:20 AM
Just another quick thought maybe they ate some of the cobia?

agnes_jack

Jewmaster
13-11-2003, 11:34 AM
keep it coming

wildone13_au
13-11-2003, 12:19 PM
who cares what thay are ive cought bigger and uglyer things than that just ask me and i will tell ya

Hutcho
13-11-2003, 01:07 PM
Throw one at us Wildone ::). Give us your biggest and ugliest catch! :-* Be hard to top that nasty carp wouldn't it?

Zeeke
13-11-2003, 02:07 PM
there are unknown species of Squid, alot of them do have a short bell instead of a long one such as a arrow squid or the calamari squid, the Architoothus variety of squid are shorter in the bell then a normal squid.. but they are also bloody big!

Tim

wizard
13-11-2003, 04:12 PM
After looking at photo no4 I gotta get a bigger cando!!! :) :)

wizard
13-11-2003, 04:15 PM
cissed as a pitch=canoe you idot

Render
13-11-2003, 05:09 PM
Can't resist this one ::)

#1 is indeed Esox Esox - the humble Pike. This fellah can grow well over 5' and 60lbs. He's shaped like a torpedo and goes off like one. I still have a scar on one finger caused by the razor teeth on one of those! Wire trace & big livies essential. The siamese mutation?? Not sure, although stranger things happen in nature.

#2 could be a Collossal Squid. This pic is very similar to pics of a CS that washed up on the shores of (IIRC) New Queerland some time back and caused mass spooge among the marine biologist mob. Could even be the same pic - a quick Google will confirm.

#3 methinks is a fake. It's some species of Koi, but the shadows are poor PS work.

#4 if it's not a fake - and I'm undecided as yet - then I'd go along with the Zekester and say it's a caviar donor. Little silver spoons, anyone?

#5 is probably the single worst fake I have seen in a long while. Shame on anyone who thought it was genuine. Shame, I say! You want your eyes checked and your bumps felt.

#6 has the look of a forgery and also an Alaskan King Crab. Personally, I don't think it's a Jap Spider crab as zeke says, because the legs on those fellahs are much longer and spindlier ('scuse invented word). Also, there's 8 of 'em and two unfeasibly long claws, too.

Having said all the above, chances are they're all fakes, but hey, who cares - they're fun ;D

Cheers,

R

Mugil
14-11-2003, 11:44 AM
Some interesting pics,
I reckon....
1. 2 x Pike (either European or American) interestingly arranged. Looks too well conditioned for siamese twins.
2. A big cuttlefish …. Not giant squid
3. Siamese Giant Carp, Catlocarpio siamensis They grow huge but the guy in the picture is sitting well behind the fish. Check out Fishing Adventures Thailand http://128.242.42.118/index.htm for other pics
4. Dunno... Some kind of catfish is my guess. Fin placement is wrong for a sturgeon.
5. John Dory,(not another type of dory, you can see the spot on it’s side) It’s a trick shot with miniature tackle.
6. Red King Crab from the north Pacific

Do I win anything? ::)
Cheers
Mugil

Render
14-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Check this page...

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?genusname=Catlocarpio&speciesname=siamensis

It contains the below pic.

So the original pic in this thread is a Genuine fish, but a poor fake, although I can't for the life of me think why they'd bother. Unless it was the bloke in the pic trying to claim credit for it. The site says they grow 3m and bloody heavy!!! #:o

The Dory 'pic' is an awful awful Photoshop fake, not a trick, Mugil, mate. Check the shadow angles.

Cheers,

R

craigie
14-11-2003, 02:16 PM
G'day Render,

Beautiful Spangled Emperor that last one ::) ;D ;D

Cheers craigie.

Jewmaster
15-11-2003, 08:03 AM
wonder how they taste

shano
15-11-2003, 01:36 PM
yes the two headed fish can deffinatly happen. as most of you know i breed african cichlids and on a few occasions i have had the odd mutation.i have had a 2 headed fish before (a lombardio) and have had a 2 bodied fish with one head and also 2 fish joined together!also had fish with deformed mouths and ones with deformed spines! these fish normally dont make it past the mothers mouth but sometimes there is the odd one that does! i will try and find a pic of one of them! mainy the one with the deformed mouth!

craigie
15-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Hmm, the famous 'Dusky Banded Snapper' :-/ :-/ ;D

Big_Kev
15-11-2003, 04:54 PM
1 from the nuclear power plant outlet.
2 giant squid
3 carp
4 Loch ness monster
5 No fxxxing idea.
6 Jap spider crab.

Mattman
15-11-2003, 04:57 PM
G'day fellas
I couldn't resist here. I think number 1, 3 and 5 are definatley fakes. The picture of that "thing" that render showed is the same picture minus the people as # 3. Your opinions. Also # 1 look at the top right corner in the water looking very carefully it looks like a pike that is laughing its head off just beneath the surface. Number 3 and 5 are deadset fakes.
My opinions intersted to hear yours as well on 1 and 3.
Cheers ,Matt

Gorilla_in_Manila
16-11-2003, 10:05 AM
Had a bit of time to kill, so this is why they are all fakes:

1. Fish on right has dark strip running up back and onto head. Fish on left has dark strip running up back and then the head suddenly turns 90 degrees to line up with the RH fish's mouth.
Shadow under anal fin of RH fish, no shadows under heads.
Rope has dark shadow where it touches the concrete, but little or no shadow when it crosses and touches itself.

2. Shadow from cuttlefish goes toward upper left in photo, shadows from cigarette packet, pebbles and bumps on the rock go toward lower left in photo.

3. Shown to be faked from previous posts. Not real good photoshop work around the tail either.

4. The light shining on the ducks and the shadow they cast shows the sun to be to the left. Shadow from dorsal fin of carp shows sun to right. Also the dark patchy bits on the reflection above and over the fish looks to me like he had a bit of trouble getting rid of his reflection from the glass when he took the photo of the carp in a fish tank.

5. Fish shadow going toward lower left of photo, rod shadow going toward upper left of photo. Cigarette packet, practically no shadow.

6. Shadow of watering can going toward bottom left of photo, shadow from back right hand leg of crab going toward bottom right of photo. Other shadows from legs going various directions.
Also crab back is dry yet ground is wet, why? I'm sure it is easier to make indistinct shadows on a wet shiny surface than it is to do a sharply defined shadow of a crab that we would expect to see on a flat, dry surface.

To all those guys that thought they were real, I am selling shares in the sydney harbour bridge and will be sending you a pm detailing how you have been chosen as the lucky few who are able to buy shares from me for only $10,000 .... blah blah blah.
I also have a few left handed screwdrivers at the bargain price of $100 ea and, JUST ARRIVED - packets of grinding sparks $50 ea - get them while they're HOT!

;D ;D ;D

Cheers,
Jeff

Nugget
16-11-2003, 11:04 AM
I've got some beach front land at Ipswich I'd like to sell as well - if they are interested.

Dave ><>

Brett_Finger
17-11-2003, 02:06 AM
i got some secert hair re-grouth that Fitzy uses... ::)
Hookin,Brett ;D

Steve_Ooi
20-11-2003, 05:23 PM
Heres one that is not a fake ......
Bream caught and released on the Gold Coast by my brother.....
I dunno what happen to this fella when he was younger, but he seemed quite healthy despite being the ugly duckling.
caught on a 2 " soft plastic

Snub nose bream...
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~sooi/robinabream.jpg

mick
21-11-2003, 07:53 AM
holy f**king S### that is by far the smallest pack of cigaretes ive ever seen. and as for barbies watering can next to the crab ;D ;D

jockey
29-11-2003, 11:21 AM
I think Gorilla's being a bit too sceptical.

1) Head rotation is not surprising. If the light is disperse such as on a typical cloudy northern european day, you will only get distinct shadows when the object is just off the ground.

2) shadow direction looks consistent to me, but I don't get the pointy bit in the shadow.

3) You can make a fish look larger by moving it closer to the camera, but I agree it is a fake going by the bottom of the tail

4) shadow looks wrong to me too

5) I think the shadows are consistent with the sun being in the direction the rod is pointing, but just a bit 'below' (see bucket) Probably minitiature tackle as I can't see eyes on the rod. Cigarette packet shadow does look a bit odd.

6) Shadows look consistent to me.

Gorilla_in_Manila
29-11-2003, 01:40 PM
I think Gorilla's being a bit too sceptical.

Must be all the all the genetically modified bananas they keep feeding me lately! ::)

Anyway, just got hold of a box of Snake Oil if anyone's interested - $200 a bottle! ;)

iank
30-11-2003, 11:18 AM
I noticed that the smoke brand looked the same in 3 of the photos and that there was a pink lighter in 2 of the photos,what is the chance of the same person being at each of these 'discoveries'.Me thinks the work of someone with to much time on their hands.
Cheers Ian