PDA

View Full Version : Linda Jane

Ratsack
03-12-2003, 11:40 AM
Linda Jane is a 40ft Scallop Trawler that snagged its nets and went down off Cape Capricorn, supposedly a very good dive site, would anybody be prepared to share the GPS coordinates with me.

bungie
03-12-2003, 02:20 PM
WRECK NAME: FV Linda Jane
SHIP TYPE: Gulf Trawler SANK IN: 1996
TRAVEL TIME: 90 Minutes DIVE RATING: Advanced
MAX DEPTH: 35 Metres AVG DEPTH: 30 Metres
AVERAGE VIZ: 20 Metres ACCESS VIA: BOAT

HOW TO FIND THE WRECK

Head North East from Port Curtis. The wreck is about 28 nm once out of the North Entrance and approximatly 10 nm East of Hummocky Isd. Contact the Gladstone dive group for GPS Marks and the best time to dive this wreck.

WRECK DESCRIPTION

The FV Linda Jane is a large Gulf Trawler of timber contruction which sank about 5 years ago. Do not know the reason for the sinking but she is sitting upright on sand in 35 mtrs of water fully intact. This is a awesome dive as good as or better than the Barcoola. Expect to see Large Qld Groper, large Red Emperor, large Red Jew, Turtles, sea snakes, eagle rays, Coral Trout, Lion Fish etc. etc. etc. Best time to dive is on a incoming neat tide or slack water.

Clown Fish Club Gladstone Shop Based (07) 4972 7126

Ratsack
03-12-2003, 03:56 PM
I was looking to fish the wreck not dive so I doubt thatthe local dive group are about to reveal its location. While talking about diving what are the rules regarding fishing where there is somebody diving

bungie
03-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Use a very large hook ;D

krazyfisher
03-12-2003, 04:31 PM
its a no go area it is in the boating rule book

Kerry
03-12-2003, 04:38 PM
.... This is a awesome dive as good as or better than the Barcoola ....

The Barcoola #:( now that's really a wreck, actually several times over and took several people with it (sinkings and refloats) before it finally come to rest where it now rests and perhaps where it is is the best place for it.

Quite a history has this boat before it finally sunk, the last time, for good.

If my memory is close (?), I believe there might also have been tragedy in this sinking of the Linda Jane ??? but certainly would be describing as a "large gulf trawler", not at only 40 feet. Relatively small even by local standards.

Cheers, Kerry.