PDA

View Full Version : jet ski discussion paper

Jeremy
01-12-2003, 07:28 AM
there was an article in the Courier Mail yesterday (Sat) that there is a discussion paper out regarding the use of jet skis and possible restrictions to their use. Anyone else see this. Can't remember the details. Should post the telephone number here because I reckon most of us here could think of a few places we'd like them banned from.

Jeremy

adrian
01-12-2003, 07:51 AM
i didn't see the paper on saturday could anyone fill me in
i'd think that jet skis should be allowed anywhere there is NO WATER ;D ;D ;D that way they wont disturb us fisho's or maybe they can have the backyard swimming pool. can't get the boat into or out of most of them anyway

anzac

Lucky_Phill
01-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Yes , Jeremy I haven't seen the report, but please find it and post details.

If it concerns the water, we need to know !

Phill

corza85
01-12-2003, 03:01 PM
well i own a boat aswell as a jetski and fish from both of them..... yes i fish from the jetski..

and yes i agree that there are some real jerks out on the water on jetskis but u cant label all jetski riders the same just because of a minority. jetski riders dont label all boat owners the same even though there are a few jerks in boats that i have come accross.its not fare to ban jetskis from areas and not boats... if wanting a way to combat jetskis in the area just make certain areas a certain speed for jetskis because banning them from certain areas is going to affect people like me that use there jetskis sencibly....if banned from popular fishing spots that will affect me greatly in the fact that i will have to use my boat and not jetski to fish from.

cheers................corza

dazza
02-12-2003, 02:03 AM
maybe 6knots/no wash around boat ramps might be a start >:( >:(
the boat ramp at bellara was like a washingmachine on sunday
ceers
dazza

drevil
02-12-2003, 03:52 AM
What, no wash??? No fun if you're a jet ski'er. I don't think they would take any notice anyway.

I was down at Southport and there were heaps of jet ski's darting in and out of the traffic, and it was pretty heavy traffic at that. The problem for me was not the jet ski's, but the bloody big 40"+ cruisers screaming past throwing up a bow wave big enough to capsize anything under 5 meters.

Has anyone noticed the skippers of these things kind of drive like FWD owners? They think they own the waterways. (Maybe they do. ::))

Jeremy
02-12-2003, 04:19 AM
Hey Corza,

jetskiers are probably like lawyers - 99% give the rest of them a bad name. Actually, I did meet a nice bloke on a jet ski once - I don't think he owned it!!

You are right though, it is a minority who are a bloody nuisance, mainly through being thoughtless of others.

You wrote "Combat jetskis" - I would have loved to get my hands on the jetskier who ran over my line while trolling for flathead a couple of years back in the broadwater and took my lure.

I'll post details for the discussion paper as soon as I get them.

Jeremy

Jeremy
02-12-2003, 06:22 AM
The link is:
www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/maritime.nsf/index/jetskireview

Jeremy

bj
02-12-2003, 08:23 AM
I have to aggree with Drevil some of the owners of those 40' cruisers are just as bad.If I had my way I'd have them all banned but then again every one has the right to own whatever they like,its being responsible that really counts but unfortunately this does not always happen.
I'm lucky that I rarely fish on a weekend but through the week, but last Sunday I spent a few hours down in the Pin area and I have never seen so many jetskis and large boats go past me so close while I was at anchor. I'm sure some of them did it as a dare or a bit of a joke and I was definately well out side of any main marked channel.My wife and I decided to call it a day and went home early.But we did catch a couple of nice flathead.

SNELLY
02-12-2003, 09:39 AM
Looks like someone has finally woken up - These things are a dam nuisance around boat ramps and it appears that have little concern for others.

Also they always take up the most time putting in - I've seen jetskiers back down the ramp and then get out and get dressed and then warm the thing up out of the water and then put it in the water. I've seen this both here in Cairns and down the Gold coast and whilst there may be some good ones around I'am afraid that my opinion of jetskiers is well and truely tainted.

And don't get me started about how they treat people trying to have a quite fish !!!!!!!!!!!

Snelly

Chrisso
02-12-2003, 10:04 AM
Has anyone touched on thier antics around bars. :o
Jumpinpin for one :-X

MICHAELG
02-12-2003, 10:21 AM
My 2 bobs worth

Was fishing near coochin ck yesterday with my 6yr old daughter and got buzzed by 8 jetski's. Now i'm talking about being off the side of a channel maybe 15-20ft wide,in 2ft of water, when these Ar**holes came by flat chat, 10ft off my boat.to say i was pi**ed off is a understatement.

I beleive they can work around people, they just need to do 4-6knots. Maybe they need to declare some more go slow zones(especially rivers/creeks), that way they will get the shits with going slow and leave the area.

Michael

dazza
03-12-2003, 04:51 AM
hey gibbo,
that is the prime opportunity to practice lure casting.
geez they take some drag at high speed ;D ;D

seriously though,
when the regs are tightened etc, they will only have themselves to blame.

how was the fishing??
cheers
dazza

MICHAELG
03-12-2003, 09:20 AM
Dazza
It was very casual as my deckie likes to move every 5 mins. She did catch 3 small bream & 1 grunter 37cm, gave her a good fight. It was more a daddy/ daughter trip
What weren't you asked to go to Rainbow?
I want to check at that D/R on the 680.

Gibbo

jockey
03-12-2003, 09:55 AM
there's nothing more infuriating than seeing someone else having more fun than you out on the water

aglassman
03-12-2003, 10:58 AM
Hi everybody, I personly think Marine Motorbikes are a great invention. They allow F-wits to blow of steam and show us how clever and responsible they really are.

There was one down at the anchorage near the end of G.C. spit, he and his mates put on an incredible show of stupidity. Full bore past all the moored yatchs and anthing else that happened to be there including me in canoe. They really showed how intelligent they where when the water police cornered them and gave them fines. I couldn't wast the opportunity so stood there laughing for at least ten minutes. One of them made a rude suggestion about where I could put my canoe while the police where there (real bright).

And as far as your larger "I own the waterways type boats", I was fishing out from Jacobs Well and three of these monsters (Rivieras) came past. They did not even look at what else was around, there was about a four foot or more bow wave that would have certainly swamped my 15 ft tinny if there had not been a screen on the front of the boat. I was at anchor at the time and they came very close. Scared the crap out of my wife and yours truly.

In general I find a great deal of people who just don't give a dam about anyone else, but if it happened to them they would most likely scream the loudest. As far as I am concerned they can ban Moronic Marine Motorbikes altogether. Its not the machines fault and it's not all of drivers, so if they do loose the right to use some of our waterways I for one will clap my hands.

Pete

craigie
03-12-2003, 01:08 PM
Yes I know the feeling guy's, a recent trip to Bjelke-Petersen Dam had a couple of goones "Buzzing" me while trolling a couple of lures.
These particular 'Aqua Bikers' looked a lot like our own Bugman and Lucky-Phil ::). What have you got to say for yourselves fellas ?

Cheers Craig.

bugman
05-12-2003, 10:09 AM
Thought it might help your fishing ;D ;D

Lucky_Phill
05-12-2003, 01:49 PM
I'll take the 5th on that Craig # # # # #:P

Lucky_Phill
05-12-2003, 02:03 PM
There always seems to be some 'heads in all forms of water activities.

Just try to do the right thing ya' selves, and be happy that ya won't get accused of living in a glass house. ::)

Phill

ferralflyer
05-12-2003, 06:14 PM
As fair as ferral knows, now jetski is allowed past the last navigational beacon which run out not far up most creeks,so there for if they are not suppost to be there they are open to what ever comes there way.

When you have spent a lot of time and care crossing rock bars, dodgen old steel oyster racks and only 1 hour of fishing once the tide runs, getting bit to death,stinking hot,well tide starts to run ,3casts in and 3jetskis side by side raceing up the bouls of this place only to run into 2 fisherman with distemper.
My suggesten is 7 foot oars I missed with 6footers. ;) ;) Cheers.